I'm a newbie

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
tinmansteve
Paddler

I'm a newbie

Post by tinmansteve » May 13th, 2006, 12:00 am

Hi, I'm a 56 year who started "working out" on the Concept2 at my gym. Previously I was using the Cybex machines. I noticed someone at the gym rowing, and it looked liked a great workout, apprently using all muscle groups. I rec'd some advice form my gym mate to get started but he seems to be gone. I'm currently doing to rows, 3 times a week, 1st a 30 minute, then I rest 5 minutes, and do 2000 meters. It feels good, and I'm losing weight and feeling stronger, but I'm at a loss if I'm using the equipment correctly. My 30 minute distances are usually 5200-5900 meters. The 2000 meters, at about 11 mins usually. Does anyone have any advice, thanks?

I set the level at '4' usually, is this correct? I've also been felling some back strain.
No one ever said on their deathbed, "I wish I'd spent more time at the office".

Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Re: I'm a newbie

Post by Bob S. » May 13th, 2006, 12:27 am

tinmansteve wrote:Hi, I'm a 56 year who started "working out" on the Concept2 at my gym. Previously I was using the Cybex machines. I noticed someone at the gym rowing, and it looked liked a great workout, apprently using all muscle groups. I rec'd some advice form my gym mate to get started but he seems to be gone. I'm currently doing to rows, 3 times a week, 1st a 30 minute, then I rest 5 minutes, and do 2000 meters. It feels good, and I'm losing weight and feeling stronger, but I'm at a loss if I'm using the equipment correctly. My 30 minute distances are usually 5200-5900 meters. The 2000 meters, at about 11 mins usually. Does anyone have any advice, thanks?

I set the level at '4' usually, is this correct? I've also been felling some back strain.
Check out this URL:

http://www.concept2.com/05/training/tra ... tarted.asp

You can also explore other items on this C2 website. In addition, there is a UK C2 website that has an extensive training program that is well worth checking out. Beware of advice from forum members. Many are very knowledgeable and can be helpful, some will be too technical to make any sense out of their advice at first, and there are a number that are so off the wall that they should be avoided. It takes a while for someone new to catch on to which ones are which. Meanwhile, you can rely on the information that comes directly from the company.

Bob S.

tinmansteve
Paddler

Thanks Bob

Post by tinmansteve » May 13th, 2006, 12:38 am

I noticed a lot of technical and or confusing posts, that's what spurred my note.

I'll try to follow for a while.

jamesg
Half Marathon Poster

Post by jamesg » May 13th, 2006, 12:45 am

http://www.invernessrowingclub.co.uk/pe ... o_erg.html

Xeno is an Olympic sculler. Note how long and smooth his stroke is, and the rating he's using. Rowing is first of all technique; when you've sorted that, everything else looks after itself.

Drag 3-4 is fine, and I've found the erg and a bit of kayak (which twists the spine) are the ideal solution to backache. This isn't caused by exercise, aerobic anyway, but by the lack of it.

Sean Seamus
1k Poster

Post by Sean Seamus » May 13th, 2006, 10:10 am

so many tips -
here are some that helped me
I am 54, so we share that "situation" - hopefully the years have buffed off the "im" from 'impatience"
-----
one way of viewing the Damp setting is that it shifts where the "load" is greatest - beginning of, or later, in the stroke.

As the spine is typically at its most vulnerable position at the the beginning of the stroke, especially for a novice still learning the basic position, set the damp lower until the back pain is diminished or eliminated. Also, work technique, and do not pull hard. As you start to get the swing of it, occasionally give it a couple of zooooms, but then slack back and let your body figure it out and grow fitter.

Treat the back as a platform from which the legs push and the arms pull.
Imagine if you will a hammer with a flexible handle - how well would that work ?!?! then imagine that handle filled with nerves. Look at a diagram or model of the spine and lower back, and vow to train it to be the strongest platform it can be.
----
The Training Guide from the UK site is Very Good.
-----
For me, keeping my heels down has helped enormously.
----
Xeno's dvds are great.
----
Take a day off between workouts, and when you feel a bit sore, take another day off. All development in the body happens AFTER the workout. Listen to your body, and learn to understand what it is saying. It is like a wife. When mine says not now, generally breakfast is great.
----
Use an HR monitor. Warm up and cool down always, even if the pace and perceived effort seem ridiculously easy. If your heart is even a tad above walking around rate, obviously something is going on inside.
-----
Last - technique / technique / technique.

~ Sean

tinmansteve
Paddler

Thanks

Post by tinmansteve » May 13th, 2006, 8:20 pm

For all the tips, they all seem well thought out and helpful. Monday, after Mom's day I'll try to apply them

tinmansteve
Paddler

What is UT? and ERG

Post by tinmansteve » May 16th, 2006, 12:07 am

I've seen several references to these terms, what do they mean please.

Thanks

Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Re: What is UT? and ERG

Post by Bob S. » May 16th, 2006, 2:33 am

tinmansteve wrote:I've seen several references to these terms, what do they mean please.

Thanks

The C2 indoor rower was initially called a rowing ergometer. Users of the machine shortened this to erg (an erg is also a unit of energy - ten million ergs equal one joule). I'll leave it to some one else to tackle UT, AT, SPI, AIO, WR, PB, SPM, HR, RHR, TO, and a bunch of other alphabet garbage that one finds on these forums - I always forget them within 5 minutes after I have figured them out.

Bob S.

Sean Seamus
1k Poster

Post by Sean Seamus » May 17th, 2006, 10:21 pm

for some help with the terminology, look under

FAQ

Acronyms! For the new people!
Train Don't Strain ~ Think or Sink

Justin
Paddler

The guy on the other rowing machine

Post by Justin » May 18th, 2006, 11:56 am

Hi Steve,

I'm happy to see that you found the C2 "Online Community" and that you are logging your meters!

Many of the people here are more experienced Erg-ers than I am, but I will be happy to help you in person if I can. I'm usually at the gym around 5 or 6 PM on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays.

Kind Regards,
Justin

tinmansteve
Paddler

Hi Justin

Post by tinmansteve » May 18th, 2006, 1:45 pm

I'be been looking for you, but my hours have been later recently. I'll try to catch up with you.