Reaching a physical peak?

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
Elamonta
1k Poster

Reaching a physical peak?

Post by Elamonta » May 1st, 2006, 11:29 pm

I have a question or two....I am new to erging, but I assume it is just like weightlifting in the aspect that you eventually reach a point where you won't see as much improvement in 2k scores...I am not sure, but I think I am at that point. In January I pulled a 7:38 (first time doing 2k) and now I am stuck around a 7:12 (I do very little erg workouts...can count them on 2 hands to date)...anyways I was wondering if anyone has found that you eventually hit a spot where you don't improve as much anymore, and if so how do you overcome that...I mean I have seen scores below 6:00 and I wonder "how the hell can they hold it at a sub 1:30 for 2k? Anyways let me know some tips or good workouts to help bring my 2k down more now that I am not gaining as much improvement in my score!
Height: 6'0
Weight: 160lbs
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1205288465.png[/img]
(Season bests)

Carl Henrik
1k Poster

Post by Carl Henrik » May 2nd, 2006, 2:04 am

26 secs is a very good improvement for 10 sessions or less. What sessions has that been? What other cardio do you do?

Many people ask "how the hell can they hold it at a sub 1:30 for 2k". And then there are those sub 1:25 for 2k... :shock:
Carl Henrik
M27lwt, 181cm
1:13@lowpull, 15.6@100m, 48.9@300m, (1:24.4)/(1:24.5)@500m, 6:35@2k, 36:27.2@10k, 16151m@60min

leper
Paddler

Post by leper » May 2nd, 2006, 6:49 am

A good way to improve is to take a different mindset going into the ergo, whether or not you want ot hold it at your intended split for the whole 2000 meters or structure it like a race and vairy the split time and stroke rate.

hjs
Marathon Poster

Re: Reaching a physical peak?

Post by hjs » May 2nd, 2006, 9:02 am

Elamonta wrote:I have a question or two....I am new to erging, but I assume it is just like weightlifting in the aspect that you eventually reach a point where you won't see as much improvement in 2k scores...I am not sure, but I think I am at that point. In January I pulled a 7:38 (first time doing 2k) and now I am stuck around a 7:12 (I do very little erg workouts...can count them on 2 hands to date)...anyways I was wondering if anyone has found that you eventually hit a spot where you don't improve as much anymore, and if so how do you overcome that...I mean I have seen scores below 6:00 and I wonder "how the hell can they hold it at a sub 1:30 for 2k? Anyways let me know some tips or good workouts to help bring my 2k down more now that I am not gaining as much improvement in my score!
You never reach your peak on 2 trainings a week on the erg. Rowing is a power endurance sport. To reach your peak you have to train years and often a week. Most sub 6 rowers train 10 times or more a weak and make many, many miles.

Elamonta
1k Poster

Post by Elamonta » May 2nd, 2006, 9:12 am

Well in reply to what sessions I have done...I have rowed mainly 15 minute pieces. One at a 22...3 min rest...then at a 24...3 minute rest...and finally at a 26. I have done this twice with a teammate from my college. And as for cardio...i have run to practice in the mornings a few times (6 miles) and then rowed...but for the most part I only run and that doesnt exceed 4 miles a day runnning. Any ideas on what I should be doing for either...it would be great to have a sub 7:00 but I dont really know where to begin...I have the ability starting tomorrow to train 7 days a week if needed so let me know....
Height: 6'0
Weight: 160lbs
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1205288465.png[/img]
(Season bests)

hjs
Marathon Poster

Post by hjs » May 2nd, 2006, 9:24 am

Elamonta wrote:Well in reply to what sessions I have done...I have rowed mainly 15 minute pieces. One at a 22...3 min rest...then at a 24...3 minute rest...and finally at a 26. I have done this twice with a teammate from my college. And as for cardio...i have run to practice in the mornings a few times (6 miles) and then rowed...but for the most part I only run and that doesnt exceed 4 miles a day runnning. Any ideas on what I should be doing for either...it would be great to have a sub 7:00 but I dont really know where to begin...I have the ability starting tomorrow to train 7 days a week if needed so let me know....
If you want to reach a peak in your season you should focus on 2/3 intervalltraining a week. The rest should be rather easy.

Do the intervalls at 90 % effort, not full blast.
You could do 3 x times 1500
4 x 1250
5 x 1000.
Rest is 1.5 times off the rowing. Choose 2 of these a week, also do 1 time a 20 min. piece at 90%. use the spm in which you row your 2k for the intervalls. the 20 min 4/6 spm lower.

Do this for 6/8 weeks and you can go below 7.

Keep in mind that you should follow the signals of your body, so don,t overtrain. You need rest as well as training.

For the long run you should focus on your endurance and your strenght. Both are important for a rower.Go search yourself on the internet.

Good luck.