1K-Water(need advice)

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
-rottweiler-

1K-Water(need advice)

Post by -rottweiler- » April 21st, 2006, 10:28 pm

Hi to everybody! I'm 17 years old, 70 kgs,5'8(1.77) and i'm an official lightweight rower from Buenos Aires, Argentina. First of all i'd like to congratulate you guys for this forum, it's been really helpfull for me. Im my country rowing is an amateur sport, we don't get anything for rowing and we don't even have a good race water center. But we love rowing and that's all that matters:)

Well, i'm being trained by Sergio Fernández, an argentinean ex rower (1986 senior B world champion,1992 6° at Barcelona,1995 3° 4- At Finland) and I've been looking to increase my erg training(we have concepts 2:D) I train for a kind of speed water race with wooden race boats(we don't use shells for these ones, the wooden boats are a bit slower)of 1 km. My 1k test in erg is 1:32/500 3:08/1000. At the erg I train three times a week, 15 km each time. my routine is like this:

Monday

40' 20 rpm
15' recovery
25' 20-22 rpm
5' cooldown

15 km total
Monday afternoon-rowing at the river.

Tuesday

Gym
Running-8 km

Wednesday

10' at 24
5'recovery
10' at 24
45' at 20 rpm

15 km total
Thursday

Gym

Friday

10' at 26rpm
8'recovery
5' at 26 rpm
40' at 18-20 rpm

15 km total

saturday

water

3 x 3' at 28-32 rpm

12-14 km total

Gym

Sunday

Rest.

The fact is i'm starting to increase the training in order to get ready to start training 14 times a week next year, about 30-40 km per day( half erg half water). I think this routine i' ve been doing was good when i've started it but i need something heavier now. Could you give some kind of routine for the week according to all this?i'll be very thanked!!!

well....thanks for everything and keep on doing good work!

ancho
6k Poster

Post by ancho » April 24th, 2006, 7:42 am

Your coach seems experienced enough to elaborate an adequate schedule for you. Don't forget to include some rest!

BTW, is your coach related to Santiago Fernández (4th in Seoul olympics in the single).
Do you know Gabriela Best?
I think Argentinian rowing has quite a good level taking into consideration its amateur standard.

Dale caña y saludos!
yr 1966, 1,87 m, 8? kg
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1201739576.png[/img]
Be Water, My Friend!

leper
Paddler

Post by leper » April 24th, 2006, 7:51 am

If you are training for a race on the water then there is no substitution for technique practice on the water, also practice racing starts because 1000 meters is a very short distance on the water so technique plays a bigger factor than strength or ergo times. That stuff helps but skill will win out on water. Also try rowing strapless on the water because it'll enthusise technique flaws allowing you to fix them. I am lucky to live in Australia and row at a school where rowing is a big deal (Scotch College). W recently won all 14 devisions at the head of the river which is one of the largest rowing regattas in the southern Hemisphere.

-rottweiler-

Post by -rottweiler- » April 24th, 2006, 8:19 pm

ancho wrote:Your coach seems experienced enough to elaborate an adequate schedule for you. Don't forget to include some rest!

BTW, is your coach related to Santiago Fernández (4th in Seoul olympics in the single).
Do you know Gabriela Best?
I think Argentinian rowing has quite a good level taking into consideration its amateur standard.

Dale caña y saludos!
I know Santiago fernandez, he rows for a club called Saint ferdinand(san fernando) RC

sergio rowed with santiago at the 4- that came 3° at The 1995 world rowing championship Tampere-Finland.

He's been training hard but there are some younger rowers(19-20 years) that actually are rowing better.

and gabriela best...well, i saw her at a regatta where she raced with her sister in a 2X, and i know all the things she won, but i don't know her.I think sergio knows her, they travelled together to winnipeg 99 i think.

and I think i will be doing less erg and more water...as you said, it cannot be replaced:)

ancho
6k Poster

Post by ancho » April 26th, 2006, 9:41 am

There also are some quite good Argentinian rowers around in Spain rowing for Astillero (very good eight this year, probably next national champs) and RCM Barcelona.

Well happy rowing and good luck, loco :wink:
yr 1966, 1,87 m, 8? kg
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1201739576.png[/img]
Be Water, My Friend!