Sessions in a week

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
Aan
Paddler

Sessions in a week

Post by Aan » June 30th, 2023, 1:02 pm

I've been searching and looking at different training plans. I come from running and cycling before that. I seem to rotate those, adding in light weights and yoga. Coming from running, peak weeks I was doing 4 up to 6 hours of running a week. I've decided to give running a rest, my left knee is telling me to put the brakes on. I'm trying to stick to just half an hour with Asensei a day, 3 on 1 off, 2 on 1 off, giving me about 2.5 hours a week plus yoga and weights. My question as per the subject, is it best to stick to 5 sessions in a week with 2 rests days or with time permitting, can you multiple sessions in a day. I feel like i'm not getting enough cardio, probably just over thinking it. I can add in incline walking on the treadmill to get some zone 2 training in. Thanks

Carl Watts
Marathon Poster

Re: Sessions in a week

Post by Carl Watts » June 30th, 2023, 10:06 pm

I tend to stick with 4 sessions a week. I take Wednesday and the weekend off for recovery days.

That said it all depends on intensity and distance/time etc. You just have to find a level of training that is "Sustainable" from week to week.

For cycling on Zwift my current weekly target is 100km. When I used to row 35-45km was more than enough.
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log

Elizabeth
2k Poster

Post by Elizabeth » July 1st, 2023, 2:14 am

You will get all sorts of answers about what individuals do. You can do multiple sessions in a day - and I often do - but I would personally start by increasing the length of your single sessions. Same as with running, you want to gradually increase meters and intensity over time to avoid injuries. Once you hit 60-90 minutes per session is when I would look at introducing doubles. All but 2-3 sessions should be easy ones. I keep in a rest day each week.
IG: eltgilmore

JaapvanE
10k Poster

Post by JaapvanE » July 1st, 2023, 2:49 am

I agree with both posters above, but like to add: keep it fun. Rowing can be quite enjoyable, but also a painful experience when you go all-out (but then the result hopefully makes up for it). Keeping it fun and enjoying the process to keep your motivation is key to long term success.

I normally row 5 times per week. But I allow myself to skip a session when I don't feel like it. So last week I did 3 sessions due to the heat, this week it cooled down so I did 5 again, etc..

Whatever keeps you happy is a good number of trainings.

Dangerscouse
Marathon Poster

Post by Dangerscouse » July 1st, 2023, 5:26 am

Personally, I'll aim to do six days a week, but it quite often ends up at five due to life commitments, as well as doing hot yoga on a Monday night (rowing in the morning) two 5k early morning walks with Dangerspouse and short weight sessions a couple of times a week too.

My appetite might be your indigestion, so play around with it and see what works for you, as you can only train as hard as you can rest & recover.
50 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:19; 6k= 20:47; 10k= 35:46 30mins= 8,488m 60mins= 16,618m HM= 1:16.47; FM= 2:40:41; 50k= 3:16:09; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

Instagram: stuwenman

Aan
Paddler

Post by Aan » July 1st, 2023, 11:39 am

thank you all for the comments. I guess going from long running sessions usually 40 minutes to an hour and a half, down to half an hour a day five times a week rowing, giving my knees a break, feels like it's not enough. I crave the rowing as it's something new and can grow with. Running, while I enjoy it, I feel like I know what my peak is, I'm not shooting for racing, I'm shooting for being fit, so 32 miles a week was where I was averaging. As I've only been with rowing for three weeks, I guess I'm chomping at the bit. With Asensei, they're usually half an hour sessions for what I've seen so far. So, as time permits, it will either be a 30 minute or 60 minute workout that day. I usually finish the workout with between 10 to 30 minutes of yoga, plus trying to keep a minimum of 3 times a week of weights, more on the full body side than any real strength straining. I thought about doing an Asensei video for half an hour and then I also have a treadmill with ifit with 15 degree incline. With heart rate sensor, I know what it takes to do a level 2 heart rate training for an off day workout, so I could throw those in while I crave more cardio. I could also just watch ifit rowing videos for half an hour and keep my spm low, work on form with the video there just to keep the mind busy. So many ways to mix things up.

Carl Watts
Marathon Poster

Post by Carl Watts » July 1st, 2023, 8:00 pm

From the years of using RowPro, most people don't want to do any more than 30 minutes on the Erg. Next up it would probably be shorter rows like 5K and then maybe longer rows like 10K in 3rd place.

I guess its not just energy levels, in many cases it just time constraints, there are other things to get done in life.
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log