What Training Have You Done Today?

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
Dangerscouse
Marathon Poster
Posts: 7084
Joined: April 27th, 2014, 11:11 am
Location: Liverpool, England

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by Dangerscouse » May 13th, 2022, 3:12 pm

Captain Darling wrote:
May 13th, 2022, 2:04 pm
Out of interest are your ultra distance PBs there a pre or post lockdown thing then? Is everything with those distances HRZ work for you, based on feel or split?

With so much concept rowing based around 2k and 5k times, albeit a growing interest in shorter records, it's not common you see someone with those types of distance records!
Thanks mate. They are mainly done in the past two years. My 12hr was done as a charity challenge in Dec 2017, that I suddenly decided to do in memory of a very good friend who passed away from diabetes. Up until then I'd done a handful of Just Row HMs, one random 26k, and fairly regularly did 16k once a week, but generally it was 10k (too fast, every time)

My 100k was incredibly badly planned, but I had to do it as my 12hr session was approaching so I didn't have a choice. They are both from 2017, but everything else down to 2k (inclusive) is from June 2020 onwards.

I don't bother with HR for a TT, even though I have it on, as it used to distract me. So now, I just close my eyes and try to zone out for as long as possible.
48 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:19; 6k= 20:47; 10k= 35:46 30mins= 8,488m 60mins= 16,618m HM= 1:16.47; FM= 2:40:41; 50k= 3:16:09; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

Instagram: stuwenman

Dutch
2k Poster
Posts: 472
Joined: March 21st, 2021, 8:19 am

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by Dutch » May 13th, 2022, 5:35 pm

Dangerscouse wrote:
May 13th, 2022, 11:38 am

Really well done on your cycling PBs. I don't look at the bikeerg threads.
Cheers danger, I should post in both really.
Age 52, 186cm 84kg

aussie nick
5k Poster
Posts: 583
Joined: June 21st, 2021, 7:12 pm

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by aussie nick » May 13th, 2022, 9:34 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
May 12th, 2022, 9:17 pm
I didn't realize it was 3000-2500-2000 week when I erged this morning. I've been loosely running Pete's Plan for a while and somehow have avoided this since the end of March. It's a tough one! My average pace in March was 1:53.0, so I'm happy to see the numbers gradually coming down.

Time Meters Pace Watts Cal/Hr S/M
28:05.9 7,500m 1:52.3 247 1148 28 174
11:17.6 3,000m 1:52.9 243 1136 28 169
r: 5:00 569m
9:22.7 2,500m 1:52.5 246 1145 28 174
r: 5:00 461m
7:25.7 2,000m 1:51.4 253 1170 29 178
r1,030m

I'm enjoying reading about everyone else's training! Lots of fantastic work.
outstanding work Elizabeth - always great to have more PP sessions posted
M/50/6ft/89kg
took up rowing during pandemic
1k 3.09.3
2k 6.42.6
5k 18.15.8

aussie nick
5k Poster
Posts: 583
Joined: June 21st, 2021, 7:12 pm

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by aussie nick » May 13th, 2022, 9:41 pm

Captain Darling wrote:
May 13th, 2022, 2:07 pm
Image

10k SS with a 15 minute bike before and after in my SS zone for a really solid session.

The 10ks a bit uneven as I rowed much of it with my eyes closed, had a couple of stops for water breaks and to blow my nose - annoying cold lingering about!!

First SS session listening to some classical music and really enjoyed it. I can't listen to music usually on SS, use audiobooks and podcasts but am trying to zone out and relax a bit more on distance work at the moment.
I find what to do with my brain a challenge on the steady state too. Best mix for me is sport on mute with house music in my air pods. I can't focus on the sport commentary, or watch TV shows, even at low heart rate

intervals and time trials is house music all the way
M/50/6ft/89kg
took up rowing during pandemic
1k 3.09.3
2k 6.42.6
5k 18.15.8

aussie nick
5k Poster
Posts: 583
Joined: June 21st, 2021, 7:12 pm

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by aussie nick » May 13th, 2022, 9:44 pm

Dangerscouse wrote:
May 13th, 2022, 3:12 pm
Captain Darling wrote:
May 13th, 2022, 2:04 pm
Out of interest are your ultra distance PBs there a pre or post lockdown thing then? Is everything with those distances HRZ work for you, based on feel or split?

With so much concept rowing based around 2k and 5k times, albeit a growing interest in shorter records, it's not common you see someone with those types of distance records!
Thanks mate. They are mainly done in the past two years. My 12hr was done as a charity challenge in Dec 2017, that I suddenly decided to do in memory of a very good friend who passed away from diabetes. Up until then I'd done a handful of Just Row HMs, one random 26k, and fairly regularly did 16k once a week, but generally it was 10k (too fast, every time)

My 100k was incredibly badly planned, but I had to do it as my 12hr session was approaching so I didn't have a choice. They are both from 2017, but everything else down to 2k (inclusive) is from June 2020 onwards.

I don't bother with HR for a TT, even though I have it on, as it used to distract me. So now, I just close my eyes and try to zone out for as long as possible.

so what you're saying is that your 100k was a training row for the real thing??

salut!
M/50/6ft/89kg
took up rowing during pandemic
1k 3.09.3
2k 6.42.6
5k 18.15.8

aussie nick
5k Poster
Posts: 583
Joined: June 21st, 2021, 7:12 pm

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by aussie nick » May 14th, 2022, 1:40 am

May CTC 10x100m 1r

used drag 165, which I think was about right. Legs really went to mush the last 3 or 4 intervals - one of the more experienced power men could probably tell me if I should have reduced the drag or increased it as the power started leaving my legs in the second half of the workout?

timing the rolling start was a little problematic. I think it worked best when I started with 4 seconds left of rest and did one half pull and then two full pulls. I also almost fell off the seat a few times!

Reckon I could probably take 1 tenth off my overall average if I did it again, but not sure I will

fun workout though and made me realise I still need to try a fast 500 at some point soon, as I haven't done one since I started rowing

Time Meters Pace Watts Cal/Hr S/M
2:42.9 1,000m 1:21.4 648 2529 44

0:16.1 100m 1:20.5 671 2609 48
0:15.9 100m 1:19.5 697 2697 45
0:16.1 100m 1:20.5 671 2609 45
0:16.2 100m 1:21.0 659 2566 44
0:16.2 100m 1:21.0 659 2566 44
0:16.3 100m 1:21.5 647 2525 44
0:16.3 100m 1:21.5 647 2525 44
0:16.5 100m 1:22.5 623 2445 44
0:16.5 100m 1:22.5 623 2445 44
0:16.8 100m 1:24.0 591 2332 39
M/50/6ft/89kg
took up rowing during pandemic
1k 3.09.3
2k 6.42.6
5k 18.15.8

Dangerscouse
Marathon Poster
Posts: 7084
Joined: April 27th, 2014, 11:11 am
Location: Liverpool, England

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by Dangerscouse » May 14th, 2022, 1:46 am

aussie nick wrote:
May 13th, 2022, 9:44 pm
so what you're saying is that your 100k was a training row for the real thing??

salut!
Yeah, and the background makes it even more ridiculous.

The weekend before I attempted it, and had to stop at circa 85k as I got exercise induced asthma (gym air con was fierce as it used the winter air) and I totally freaked out. I got an inhaler from the doctors, and on the following Wednesday I did a HM PB, and then did the 100k on the Saturday.

I estimate I stopped 16 times, and I was lying on the gym floor laughing to myself wondering why I was still going. I have never had such a disgusting session in sports. It was truly horrific. Three weeks later I then did the 12hrs, and that was very pleasant in comparison, despite some lingering significant fears of it going to be even worse.

Since then I've tried and failed to do it two more times as it's not a truly representative time. Some itches need to be scratched
48 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:19; 6k= 20:47; 10k= 35:46 30mins= 8,488m 60mins= 16,618m HM= 1:16.47; FM= 2:40:41; 50k= 3:16:09; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

Instagram: stuwenman

Dangerscouse
Marathon Poster
Posts: 7084
Joined: April 27th, 2014, 11:11 am
Location: Liverpool, England

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by Dangerscouse » May 14th, 2022, 1:48 am

aussie nick wrote:
May 14th, 2022, 1:40 am
May CTC 10x100m 1r

used drag 165, which I think was about right. Legs really went to mush the last 3 or 4 intervals - one of the more experienced power men could probably tell me if I should have reduced the drag or increased it as the power started leaving my legs in the second half of the workout?

timing the rolling start was a little problematic. I think it worked best when I started with 4 seconds left of rest and did one half pull and then two full pulls. I also almost fell off the seat a few times!

Reckon I could probably take 1 tenth off my overall average if I did it again, but not sure I will
That's a solid result. Getting close to 1:20 is a really fast time
48 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:19; 6k= 20:47; 10k= 35:46 30mins= 8,488m 60mins= 16,618m HM= 1:16.47; FM= 2:40:41; 50k= 3:16:09; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

Instagram: stuwenman

MartinSH4321
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 2707
Joined: October 10th, 2018, 6:43 am

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by MartinSH4321 » May 14th, 2022, 1:49 am

aussie nick wrote:
May 14th, 2022, 1:40 am
May CTC 10x100m 1r

used drag 165, which I think was about right. Legs really went to mush the last 3 or 4 intervals - one of the more experienced power men could probably tell me if I should have reduced the drag or increased it as the power started leaving my legs in the second half of the workout?

timing the rolling start was a little problematic. I think it worked best when I started with 4 seconds left of rest and did one half pull and then two full pulls. I also almost fell off the seat a few times!

Reckon I could probably take 1 tenth off my overall average if I did it again, but not sure I will

fun workout though and made me realise I still need to try a fast 500 at some point soon, as I haven't done one since I started rowing

Time Meters Pace Watts Cal/Hr S/M
2:42.9 1,000m 1:21.4 648 2529 44

0:16.1 100m 1:20.5 671 2609 48
0:15.9 100m 1:19.5 697 2697 45
0:16.1 100m 1:20.5 671 2609 45
0:16.2 100m 1:21.0 659 2566 44
0:16.2 100m 1:21.0 659 2566 44
0:16.3 100m 1:21.5 647 2525 44
0:16.3 100m 1:21.5 647 2525 44
0:16.5 100m 1:22.5 623 2445 44
0:16.5 100m 1:22.5 623 2445 44
0:16.8 100m 1:24.0 591 2332 39
Very good Nick, well done!
Looking at the rating I think it would be easier for you to lower the drag for the later intervals.
1983 Austria 1.86 106Kg
LP: 1:04.6 100m: 13.6 1': 392m 500m: 1:21.4
1k: 3:05 2k: 6:43 5k: 17:53 30': 8237m 30R20: 8088m 10k: 36:39
60': 16087m, HM: 1:19:42

aussie nick
5k Poster
Posts: 583
Joined: June 21st, 2021, 7:12 pm

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by aussie nick » May 14th, 2022, 1:52 am

Dangerscouse wrote:
May 14th, 2022, 1:48 am
aussie nick wrote:
May 14th, 2022, 1:40 am
May CTC 10x100m 1r

used drag 165, which I think was about right. Legs really went to mush the last 3 or 4 intervals - one of the more experienced power men could probably tell me if I should have reduced the drag or increased it as the power started leaving my legs in the second half of the workout?

timing the rolling start was a little problematic. I think it worked best when I started with 4 seconds left of rest and did one half pull and then two full pulls. I also almost fell off the seat a few times!

Reckon I could probably take 1 tenth off my overall average if I did it again, but not sure I will
That's a solid result. Getting close to 1:20 is a really fast time
thanks and this will probably be my highest placing relative to the field I'd guess. I found it hard to see lower than 1.19 on the screen, so it was just a question of timing the rolling start as well as possible and then trying to hold on. Quite a lot of technical considerations in the sprint stuff too...how long to stroke etc.
M/50/6ft/89kg
took up rowing during pandemic
1k 3.09.3
2k 6.42.6
5k 18.15.8

Gustel
Paddler
Posts: 39
Joined: March 16th, 2022, 3:28 pm

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by Gustel » May 14th, 2022, 5:55 am

8x500, 3:30 rest. Last average three weeks ago was 1:53.9. However, I had trouble to keep my pace constant and ended up on the safe side for the first 7 intervals. For the last I tried to go faster. I started the last interval with 1:40, but my legs were tired at the end of the interval.

Time Meters Pace Watts Cal/Hr S/M
14:57.3 4,000m 1:52.1 248 1153 31 150
1:53.6 500m 1:53.6 239 1121 30 146
1:53.8 500m 1:53.8 237 1117 29 148
1:53.6 500m 1:53.6 239 1121 30 149
1:53.6 500m 1:53.6 239 1121 31 151
1:53.6 500m 1:53.6 239 1121 31 151
1:53.5 500m 1:53.5 239 1123 31 152
1:53.6 500m 1:53.6 239 1121 31 152
1:42.0 500m 1:42.0 330 1435 37 156
r2,701m
47y, 82kg

Dangerscouse
Marathon Poster
Posts: 7084
Joined: April 27th, 2014, 11:11 am
Location: Liverpool, England

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by Dangerscouse » May 14th, 2022, 8:18 am

Gustel wrote:
May 14th, 2022, 5:55 am
8x500, 3:30 rest. Last average three weeks ago was 1:53.9. However, I had trouble to keep my pace constant and ended up on the safe side for the first 7 intervals. For the last I tried to go faster. I started the last interval with 1:40, but my legs were tired at the end of the interval.

Time Meters Pace Watts Cal/Hr S/M
14:57.3 4,000m 1:52.1 248 1153 31 150
1:53.6 500m 1:53.6 239 1121 30 146
1:53.8 500m 1:53.8 237 1117 29 148
1:53.6 500m 1:53.6 239 1121 30 149
1:53.6 500m 1:53.6 239 1121 31 151
1:53.6 500m 1:53.6 239 1121 31 151
1:53.5 500m 1:53.5 239 1123 31 152
1:53.6 500m 1:53.6 239 1121 31 152
1:42.0 500m 1:42.0 330 1435 37 156
r2,701m
Eight reps are tough to judge, and it's common to end up going to cautiously, but this is a big improvement on your last result
48 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:19; 6k= 20:47; 10k= 35:46 30mins= 8,488m 60mins= 16,618m HM= 1:16.47; FM= 2:40:41; 50k= 3:16:09; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

Instagram: stuwenman

Dangerscouse
Marathon Poster
Posts: 7084
Joined: April 27th, 2014, 11:11 am
Location: Liverpool, England

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by Dangerscouse » May 14th, 2022, 8:20 am

I did a 12k r20 this morning, before I went out to meet some mates for breakfast. I settled on 2:01.6 pace, but it felt far tougher than it should have, so I ended up slowing down after 9k.

I'm not as fully recovered as I hoped I was
48 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:19; 6k= 20:47; 10k= 35:46 30mins= 8,488m 60mins= 16,618m HM= 1:16.47; FM= 2:40:41; 50k= 3:16:09; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

Instagram: stuwenman

Gustel
Paddler
Posts: 39
Joined: March 16th, 2022, 3:28 pm

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by Gustel » May 14th, 2022, 12:36 pm

Dangerscouse wrote:
May 14th, 2022, 8:18 am
Eight reps are tough to judge, and it's common to end up going to cautiously, but this is a big improvement on your last result
Thanks. It is definitely improving. I did my rowing before the running which made a big difference. And the run later was Ok but very slow.
Also, I like it if I start the interval session with the average of the previous session three weeks ago. Now when the average is still quite slow, the interval sessions are then less scary and I know I can finish them without problem.
47y, 82kg

MartinSH4321
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 2707
Joined: October 10th, 2018, 6:43 am

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by MartinSH4321 » May 14th, 2022, 12:55 pm

Gustel wrote:
May 14th, 2022, 5:55 am
8x500, 3:30 rest. Last average three weeks ago was 1:53.9. However, I had trouble to keep my pace constant and ended up on the safe side for the first 7 intervals. For the last I tried to go faster. I started the last interval with 1:40, but my legs were tired at the end of the interval.

Time Meters Pace Watts Cal/Hr S/M
14:57.3 4,000m 1:52.1 248 1153 31 150
1:53.6 500m 1:53.6 239 1121 30 146
1:53.8 500m 1:53.8 237 1117 29 148
1:53.6 500m 1:53.6 239 1121 30 149
1:53.6 500m 1:53.6 239 1121 31 151
1:53.6 500m 1:53.6 239 1121 31 151
1:53.5 500m 1:53.5 239 1123 31 152
1:53.6 500m 1:53.6 239 1121 31 152
1:42.0 500m 1:42.0 330 1435 37 156
r2,701m
That's a great improvement, well done! Better to be on the save side and improve week per week :)
1983 Austria 1.86 106Kg
LP: 1:04.6 100m: 13.6 1': 392m 500m: 1:21.4
1k: 3:05 2k: 6:43 5k: 17:53 30': 8237m 30R20: 8088m 10k: 36:39
60': 16087m, HM: 1:19:42

Post Reply