What Training Have You Done Today?

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
faach1
SpamTeam
Posts: 413
Joined: April 25th, 2020, 6:40 am
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by faach1 » May 7th, 2021, 11:05 am

Dangerscouse wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 8:48 am
faach1 wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 4:56 am
What did you tweak Stu? Drag?
No mate, it was to do with eating, and when I did it. That was why my HR was higher than usual. Breathing was laboured, and I'll stick to my tried and tested methods.

I've given up on thinking about drag, as it's not making any difference for me in my current phase of training.
Fair enough, I too have given up on drag, I keep it at 110 for long stuff and circa 150 for sprints.

User avatar
OregonERG
1k Poster
Posts: 167
Joined: March 5th, 2020, 10:42 am

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by OregonERG » May 7th, 2021, 12:25 pm

I rowed 7700m in 30:00 while watching The Last Kingdom on Netflix. Not my best session but I did it before work, so at least it is done. Also, when I would get distracted by the program (Danes are so distracting), I would notice the pace slow. Each time that happened I would throw in a 200m "hard" at like 1:44-1:49 pace to bring the average back down. That made for a nice little fartlek workout. Do rowers use that term?

Fartlek - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/fartlek-workout-101/
The Last Kingdom - https://www.netflix.com/title/80074249
48 years, 6'0 & 170 lbs. | 2km - 6:59.2 / 5km - 18:13.7 / 30 min - 8085m / 10km - 37:12.5 / Hour Best - 15,823m

nick rockliff
10k Poster
Posts: 1181
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 3:54 pm
Location: UK

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by nick rockliff » May 7th, 2021, 1:00 pm

Did a 30 min session this evening, plan was at least 8100

Time Meters Pace Watts Cal/Hr S/M
30:00.0 8,137m 1:50.6 259 1190 26 149
6:00.0 1,622m 1:50.9 256 1181 26 139
12:00.0 1,623m 1:50.9 257 1183 26 146
18:00.0 1,628m 1:50.5 259 1191 26 152
24:00.0 1,628m 1:50.5 259 1191 26 156
30:00.0 1,636m 1:50.0 263 1204 27 156

Not too bad considering lack of metres recently.
64 6' 4" 103kg
PBs 2k 6:16.4 5k 16:37.5 10k 34:35.5 30m 8727 60m 17059 HM 74:25.9 FM 2:43:48.8
50s PBs 2k 6.24.3 5k 16.55.4 6k 20.34.2 10k 35.19.0 30m 8633 60m 16685 HM 76.48.7
60s PBs 5k 17.51.2 10k 36.42.6 30m 8263 60m 16089 HM 79.16.6

User avatar
winniewinser
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 2369
Joined: August 9th, 2019, 9:35 am
Location: England

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by winniewinser » May 7th, 2021, 1:46 pm

nick rockliff wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 1:00 pm
Did a 30 min session this evening, plan was at least 8100

Time Meters Pace Watts Cal/Hr S/M
30:00.0 8,137m 1:50.6 259 1190 26 149
6:00.0 1,622m 1:50.9 256 1181 26 139
12:00.0 1,623m 1:50.9 257 1183 26 146
18:00.0 1,628m 1:50.5 259 1191 26 152
24:00.0 1,628m 1:50.5 259 1191 26 156
30:00.0 1,636m 1:50.0 263 1204 27 156

Not too bad considering lack of metres recently.
Really solid on limited training recently
Alex, LWTM, 6'2" 49yo, 100m 17.3 1' 340m, 500m 1:30.0, 1km 3:14.3, 4min 1220m, 2km 6:50.2, 5km 17:59.8, 6km 21:46.7, 30' 8082m, 10km 37:31.3, 60' 15,669m, HM 1:22:14.7, FM 3:08:12.8

Skierg 1' 281m, 2km 8:32.0 :lol:, 5km 21:41.6

User avatar
winniewinser
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 2369
Joined: August 9th, 2019, 9:35 am
Location: England

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by winniewinser » May 7th, 2021, 1:49 pm

This base session was a real chore today....heart not in it today but it got done....3x4km/2'R 1:59.9 target.

47:41.8 12,000m 1:59.2 22 141
15:55.7 4,000m 1:59.4 22 139
15:54.1 4,000m 1:59.2 22 140
15:52.0 4,000m 1:59.0 22 145

Should have been 4x3km but that wouldn't have changed much.
Alex, LWTM, 6'2" 49yo, 100m 17.3 1' 340m, 500m 1:30.0, 1km 3:14.3, 4min 1220m, 2km 6:50.2, 5km 17:59.8, 6km 21:46.7, 30' 8082m, 10km 37:31.3, 60' 15,669m, HM 1:22:14.7, FM 3:08:12.8

Skierg 1' 281m, 2km 8:32.0 :lol:, 5km 21:41.6

User avatar
OregonERG
1k Poster
Posts: 167
Joined: March 5th, 2020, 10:42 am

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by OregonERG » May 7th, 2021, 3:41 pm

nick rockliff wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 1:00 pm
Time Meters Pace Watts Cal/Hr S/M
30:00.0 8,137m 1:50.6 259 1190 26 149
I agree with Winnie! That distance would be my PB, so I can only say "hats off" to that effort. It does motivate me to try a 30min all out again... Thanks for the kick in the read!
48 years, 6'0 & 170 lbs. | 2km - 6:59.2 / 5km - 18:13.7 / 30 min - 8085m / 10km - 37:12.5 / Hour Best - 15,823m

User avatar
OregonERG
1k Poster
Posts: 167
Joined: March 5th, 2020, 10:42 am

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by OregonERG » May 7th, 2021, 3:50 pm

winniewinser wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 1:49 pm
This base session was a real chore today....heart not in it today but it got done....3x4km/2'R 1:59.9 target.

47:41.8 12,000m 1:59.2 22 141
15:55.7 4,000m 1:59.4 22 139
15:54.1 4,000m 1:59.2 22 140
15:52.0 4,000m 1:59.0 22 145

Should have been 4x3km but that wouldn't have changed much.
When you take your rest breaks, do you get off the erg or do you just row really easy?
48 years, 6'0 & 170 lbs. | 2km - 6:59.2 / 5km - 18:13.7 / 30 min - 8085m / 10km - 37:12.5 / Hour Best - 15,823m

User avatar
winniewinser
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 2369
Joined: August 9th, 2019, 9:35 am
Location: England

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by winniewinser » May 8th, 2021, 4:16 am

OregonERG wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 3:50 pm
winniewinser wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 1:49 pm
This base session was a real chore today....heart not in it today but it got done....3x4km/2'R 1:59.9 target.

47:41.8 12,000m 1:59.2 22 141
15:55.7 4,000m 1:59.4 22 139
15:54.1 4,000m 1:59.2 22 140
15:52.0 4,000m 1:59.0 22 145

Should have been 4x3km but that wouldn't have changed much.
When you take your rest breaks, do you get off the erg or do you just row really easy?
Depends on the rest period but I'd usually stand, stretch, grab a drink, towel off etc. Sit back down with 45" to go then gentle row from 25".
Alex, LWTM, 6'2" 49yo, 100m 17.3 1' 340m, 500m 1:30.0, 1km 3:14.3, 4min 1220m, 2km 6:50.2, 5km 17:59.8, 6km 21:46.7, 30' 8082m, 10km 37:31.3, 60' 15,669m, HM 1:22:14.7, FM 3:08:12.8

Skierg 1' 281m, 2km 8:32.0 :lol:, 5km 21:41.6

nick rockliff
10k Poster
Posts: 1181
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 3:54 pm
Location: UK

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by nick rockliff » May 8th, 2021, 4:19 am

winniewinser wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 1:46 pm
nick rockliff wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 1:00 pm
Did a 30 min session this evening, plan was at least 8100

Time Meters Pace Watts Cal/Hr S/M
30:00.0 8,137m 1:50.6 259 1190 26 149
6:00.0 1,622m 1:50.9 256 1181 26 139
12:00.0 1,623m 1:50.9 257 1183 26 146
18:00.0 1,628m 1:50.5 259 1191 26 152
24:00.0 1,628m 1:50.5 259 1191 26 156
30:00.0 1,636m 1:50.0 263 1204 27 156

Not too bad considering lack of metres recently.
Really solid on limited training recently
Cheers Alex
64 6' 4" 103kg
PBs 2k 6:16.4 5k 16:37.5 10k 34:35.5 30m 8727 60m 17059 HM 74:25.9 FM 2:43:48.8
50s PBs 2k 6.24.3 5k 16.55.4 6k 20.34.2 10k 35.19.0 30m 8633 60m 16685 HM 76.48.7
60s PBs 5k 17.51.2 10k 36.42.6 30m 8263 60m 16089 HM 79.16.6

nick rockliff
10k Poster
Posts: 1181
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 3:54 pm
Location: UK

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by nick rockliff » May 8th, 2021, 4:20 am

OregonERG wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 3:41 pm
nick rockliff wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 1:00 pm
Time Meters Pace Watts Cal/Hr S/M
30:00.0 8,137m 1:50.6 259 1190 26 149
I agree with Winnie! That distance would be my PB, so I can only say "hats off" to that effort. It does motivate me to try a 30min all out again... Thanks for the kick in the read!
Cheers, appreciated
64 6' 4" 103kg
PBs 2k 6:16.4 5k 16:37.5 10k 34:35.5 30m 8727 60m 17059 HM 74:25.9 FM 2:43:48.8
50s PBs 2k 6.24.3 5k 16.55.4 6k 20.34.2 10k 35.19.0 30m 8633 60m 16685 HM 76.48.7
60s PBs 5k 17.51.2 10k 36.42.6 30m 8263 60m 16089 HM 79.16.6

User avatar
max_ratcliffe
10k Poster
Posts: 1466
Joined: May 2nd, 2019, 11:01 pm

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by max_ratcliffe » May 8th, 2021, 6:20 am

winniewinser wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 9:07 am
<>

Kudos Max.....no way I can do that at the moment.....most I have done is 2x2km and that was hard. These looks well controlled and a good pace.
Thanks Alex. Tbh not sure if I will do this w/o quite like this next time. It's meant to be an easier workout than it was. Perhaps 2'r and a bit slower next time. Or perhaps I will let my ego rule and flog myself into the ground...
50 HWT
PBs:
Rower 1'=329m; 500m=1:34.0; 1k=3:25:1; 2k=7:16.5; 5k=19:44; 6k=23:24; 30'=7582m; 10k=40.28; 60'=14621m; HM=1:27:46
SkiErg 1'=298m; 500m=1:42.4; 1k=3:36.0; 2k=7:43.8; 5k=20:35; 6k=25:29; 30'=7239m; 10k=42:35; 60'=13358m; HM=NGTFH

Prometeus
Paddler
Posts: 1
Joined: May 8th, 2021, 7:35 am

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by Prometeus » May 8th, 2021, 7:52 am

Strength day however closed with 12x 30s/30s intervals c2 RowErg (155m on average at 36 stroke rate)

User avatar
ampire
5k Poster
Posts: 526
Joined: October 28th, 2017, 7:11 pm

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by ampire » May 8th, 2021, 10:19 am

Just putting in some work, I did a similar workout 2 weeks ago, but I was a second slower for the same heart rate and SPM rating, now I picked up a few additional watts, so I am really happy with where I am going.
4x3000m/3:00r row DF97
Time Meters Pace Watts Cal/Hr S/M
49:13.0 12,000m 2:03.0 188 946 21 171
12:20.5 3,000m 2:03.4 186 940 21 164
12:17.9 3,000m 2:02.9 188 947 22 173
12:17.3 3,000m 2:02.8 189 949 22 175
12:17.3 3,000m 2:02.8 189 949 22 172
r1,157m
M35|5'8"/173CM|148lb/67KG|LWT|MHR 192|RHR 42|2020: 5K 18:52.9 (@1:53.2/500)|C2-D+Slides+EndureRow Seat+NSI Minicell Foam

Dangerscouse
Marathon Poster
Posts: 5914
Joined: April 27th, 2014, 11:11 am
Location: Liverpool, England

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by Dangerscouse » May 8th, 2021, 10:45 am

Image

Last attempt at the 100k. Absolutely disgusting from 65k onwards, and I very nearly quit three times, and just stopped another four times, before I eventually had to give up. I think my FM PB from last Saturday has taken more out of me than I realised, and that last 15k might as well have been 150k. Everything hurt, and it felt like my chest was in a vice and I was a wearing a lead cloak.

I'm pleased I struggled on for 20k, and managed a double FM distance, but apart from that I'm really disappointed with how it turned out.
47 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:24; 6k= 20:47; 10k= 35:46 30mins= 8,428m 60mins= 16,618m HM= 1:16.47; FM= 2:40:41; 50k= 3:16:09; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

Instagram: stuwenman

Dutch
500m Poster
Posts: 92
Joined: March 21st, 2021, 8:19 am

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by Dutch » May 8th, 2021, 11:53 am

Dangerscouse wrote:
May 8th, 2021, 10:45 am
Image

Last attempt at the 100k. Absolutely disgusting from 65k onwards, and I very nearly quit three times, and just stopped another four times, before I eventually had to give up. I think my FM PB from last Saturday has taken more out of me than I realised, and that last 15k might as well have been 150k. Everything hurt, and it felt like my chest was in a vice and I was a wearing a lead cloak.

I'm pleased I struggled on for 20k, and managed a double FM distance, but apart from that I'm really disappointed with how it turned out.
I dont know much about ultra long distances, but the fact you are even attempting it is credit enough after how you have felt recently. You probably have not recovered enough as you say.
Looking at the splits and even allowing for the drop in pace for the last 10k, you were well on for a record. You had an hour and a half to spare to cover 15k, thats massive. Did you set out a bit too quick possibly?
Give it a couple of weeks and Im sure you will be thinking of having another go. B)
Age 51, 186cm 84kg

Post Reply