Overwhelmed Beginner

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
rfcii
Paddler

Overwhelmed Beginner

Post by rfcii » December 24th, 2020, 1:07 pm

Hi there!

47 year old male wanting to improve fitness overall. Mixed history with running/cycling/gym, but especially happy to be focusing on the erg now with Covid and bad weather. I'm currently 30 lbs overweight, and in overall decent health but certainly not fit. Have implemented an improved diet already.

I've been using my wife's Concept 2 for about a month now. I started with zero plan just to get some stamina up. I started just comfortably rowing 2k, then adding 250 meters each day until 5k, which takes me about 30 mins. I was not really planning to stick with this machine, and was just wanting to be active while the weather was really crap. So I've just continued "rowing" 30 mins a day, usually getting 5k, while watching a tv show.

Turns out I actually liked it! So I want to take it a little more seriously. I realized after "learning what all those numbers mean" that I was doing 30-32 s/m. I tried slowing down, and was surprised how hard that is. That all makes sense now.

I've read up a ton on form, and gone over the Concept2 and Dark Horse videos on form. I think I have those basics down, but not entirely sure. I do not have back pain or other strange soreness after rowing (aside from hand blisters, which I don't mind too much).

I am now overwhelmed on where to begin. I started with the Dark Horse beginners workout today, but that was only 15 mins total and I don't feel like I did much. Indeed, the logbook shows a 4 min session and a 10 min session with less than 100 calories total. Should I be doing these twice in a row if I feel up to it? Should I just add on another session of "free" rowing later in the day?

Should I continue doing 5k or 30 mins, while using slower stroke rates? I am willing to put an hour into fitness each day. It would be convenient if only rowing were adequate, but I don't mind switching to kettlebells or bodyweight exercises if need be.

I am inclined to pay for the "just do this" video courses that Dark Horse offers. I am very overwhelmed looking at all of the various programs out there, and how many of them look like math. I would rather have a video telling me "now go to 22" than having to write out a piece of paper each morning and stare at a clock until it is time to switch.

TLDR: I want someone to just tell me what to do, down to the minute (follow-along videos). I'm willing to pay for vetted online classes but probably unable to pay for actual personal training.

Thank you for any support or guidance - I am of course impatient to get towards better health as efficiently as possuble, but also willing to slow down and do what is best.

robbiep
1k Poster

Re: Overwhelmed Beginner

Post by robbiep » December 24th, 2020, 2:37 pm

To improve fitness, keep with your 30 minute sessions, but every 5th minute try increasing the speed (dropping the pace) for 1 minute.

If you're averaging 2:30 pace for the 30 minute row, then try those 1 minute faster pieces at somewhere like 2:15 pace.

Then see what your overall average pace is for your 30 minute row - probably 2:28 or so)

Next time, that is your 'base' pace, with your 1 minute pieces at 2:14.

That workout will build confidence that you can do faster pace for longer.
https://log.concept2.com/profile/41592/log

51 HWT M
50+ PBs : (recent in red)
100m 17.0 / 500m 1:36.3 / 1k 3:32.2 / 2k 7:29.9 / 5k 19:51.7 / 6k 23:53.3 / 10k 41:36.4
HM 1:29:38.2 / 1 min 310m / 30 min 7407m / 60 min 14124m

LouTheWizard
Paddler

Post by LouTheWizard » December 24th, 2020, 2:41 pm

As a fellow newbie (I've owned a concept2 for 1 month now, and had never rowed before in my life prior to that), here is my advice:

1. Focus on form and "easy mileage" first. Try to do that 5k at the same pace but at like 18-22 strokes per minute.

2. Once you feel good with basic form and have a mileage base under you, then you can start tinkering with different paces and durations. Do you use a heart rate monitor?

3. The Pete Plan, or more likely the Beginner Pete Plan, https://thepeteplan.wordpress.com/beginner-training/, is an easy and free resource that a lot of people here would suggest you give a look.

Another resource that I have found helpful is "Training Tall" on Youtube. He has lots of good stuff to look at.

All in all, there are a lot of knowledgeable folks here more than willing to provide you suggestions. I think most would say you can find what you are looking for without the need to pay for it.
39 Y.O. Beginner as of December, 2020. 6'4" 250#...2021 goal is to get under 220#

https://log.concept2.com/profile/1425687

rfcii
Paddler

Post by rfcii » December 24th, 2020, 3:49 pm

Thank you both!

Regarding the Peteplan - how does one actually execute on these? Do you keep a whiteboard/notepad next to the rower or are you able to memorize the day's plan?

I would love it if these programs could be loaded into the PM5 or a connected phone app (I am using ErgData now) to tell me when to shift gears, and to what. This is why I am drawn to videos.

While I am focusing on form (and honestly, just enduring/completing a workout) I am not sure I have the facilities to remember which rep in a set of 3 I am on, which pace I am supposed to be following next, etc. I'm probably overcomplicating this, but with running, I loved the Couch to 5k playlists where I just listened to a recording made for it when I simply ran when it said to, and walked when it said to. I guess I am hoping this kind of training exists in the ergo world.

Cyclist2
10k Poster

Post by Cyclist2 » December 24th, 2020, 4:57 pm

rfcii wrote:
December 24th, 2020, 3:49 pm
I would love it if these programs could be loaded into the PM5 or a connected phone app (I am using ErgData now) to tell me when to shift gears, and to what. This is why I am drawn to videos.
They can be! Go to the C2 site on how to use the PM5, Here is the link: https://www.concept2.com/service/monito ... how-to-use. You can also keep it simple by using the C2 workout of the day: https://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training/wod. Program it into the PM5 and you're set. Want even simpler?, Use the standard and custom workout lists already programmed in the PM5.

I haven't found many rowalong videos that I really like, so what I do is program my workout in, then turn on a scenery only video just for the distraction while keeping my eye on the monitor for the intervals, stroke rate and other info.

You'll get it figured out. Have fun!
Mark Underwood. Rower first, cyclist too.

Ombrax
10k Poster

Post by Ombrax » December 25th, 2020, 3:59 am

rfcii,

Welcome to the forum!

It really doesn't have to be very complicated. Or it can be as complicated as you like. You can, if you like, follow a predetermined program like the PP, or the BPP. Or you can do the C2 Workout of the Day, or you can do what I do, which is to have a handful of favorites (e.g. n x 1-3k w/ 2-3 min breaks, 5-10k steady state, or any of the other pre-programmed workouts that are already in the PM. As I warm up on the erg I decide what I'm in the mood for on any given day, then I take a look at the PM memory so I know how fast I did given workout last time, in order to give me some idea of what I want to shoot for that day. If I'm feeling good and I want to push the pace a bit I do that. If I'm not in the mood to go fast, then I just try to match something from the past.

BTW, in case you haven't noticed, the PM has a re-row feature, where you can call up a previous workout and chase the pace boat on the display as it recreates your previous effort. (I don't think it works for "Just Row" previous workouts, but it does work for predefined workouts.)

The bottom line, is that you should do whatever you like, whatever will maximize the likelihood of you continuing to exercise. If you're the type of person who likes a highly regimented process, then do that. If you prefer to wing it, then do that.

The two key points are 1) Keep doing it, and 2) Push yourself (but not too much, too fast, in order to avoid injury) so you continue to improve over time in terms of distance and/or speed. As long as you're willing to do (1) then the summary information from the PM / ErgData about what you're doing will allow you to track what you've accomplished, and the "magical" thing is, as long as you keep at it, you will improve - your body will respond in ways that encourage you to continue.

Good Luck
Last edited by Ombrax on December 25th, 2020, 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

jamesg
Half Marathon Poster

Post by jamesg » December 25th, 2020, 4:10 am

The basic principle of rowing is that each stroke is long, fast and hard, but that we can rest for a long time before the next, since boats don't stop. Your blisters say you're on that route, they'll soon mutate to armor.

The best and simplest way to get fit is to get that type of stroke in place asap and use it a lot. The C2 technique videos show how it's done and offer basic instructions as to drag, stretcher setting and stroke sequence to best engage the legs.

Nothing else is needed, unless you plan to race. The Interactives offer plenty of choice as to Level, days per week and weeks to race, and are highly progressive: http://3.8.144.21/training/interactive

UT2 and UT1 work is done at ratings from 18 to 23. There are about 200 of these plans, to suit all fitness levels and ambitions. I use a level 2 plan and just cycle through the first 3 or 6 weeks: print and cancel, day by day.
08-1940, 183cm, 83kg.
2024: stroke 5.5W-min@20-21. ½k 190W, 1k 145W, 2k 120W. Using Wods 4-5days/week

mitchel674
10k Poster

Post by mitchel674 » December 25th, 2020, 9:28 am

Welcome!

Have you tried the Dark Horse "Perfect Beginner's Workout"? It's a 20 minute follow along workout at a stroke rate of 18spm. He goes through various timing and Pick drills while keeping you moving and concentrating on form at a low stroke rate. By far my favorite video. I've been rowing for a few years now, but still consider myself a newbie. I do this video at least once a week followed by a 30 minute steady state row. I highly recommend that combination for a great session if you have an hour to row.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pymKHcywkuc&t=407s

The trick with this video and rowing at slow rate is that you will focus on a more explosive push at the onset of your drive. This will help you generate more power. You are likely just going up and down the slide without much power at your current 30spm. Also consider looking at and learning about your force curve.

Keep posting your progress here. I've learned a lot here and the accountability can be very motivating.
59yo male, 6ft, 153lbs

kgschneider
Paddler

Post by kgschneider » December 26th, 2020, 10:04 pm

I'm in a similar position as "Overwhelmed." I began rowing at the local Y in an outdoor workout area a few months ago as a way to add a different type of workout. I've been running 5 miles from 4 to 7 times a week since about May, after working up from not being able to run a half mile. I got on the waiting list for a Concept2 and after waiting (and delaying the purchase a little bit) got the rower a couple of weeks ago. I'm over 60 and female (and short, 4'11", which I did not realize was not the ideal rower height until watching rowing videos after my Concept2 arrived--there are a lot of long drinks of water in this community!). Rowing at the Y felt easy--too easy, really, but I see that was because I was doing it all wrong. It took me two weeks to even understand I had to hit the "sync" button on my iPhone to get my PM5 data to upload into the online log.

With a week off from work I can finally watch videos, read forums, etc. The Dark Horse videos are very helpful and encouraging, and I did the beginner workout this afternoon (unfortunately there was an odd glitch and only part of my workout was recorded). I felt this workout felt like real effort--not exactly like a 5-mile run, but a lot closer than as someone said, just sliding back and forth. I followed it with a 2k row where I concentrated on my form, and that also felt good and like real effort. But I still don't know if I'm doing it right, if I'm too short for this to be a good exercise for me, if I will ever get my form right, how I will even know, etc. Rowing is starting to feel a little bit like running (getting into my head, enjoying the endorphins, feeling my body in motion, disconnecting from the other places in my life) but is still a bit huge and new with lots of implicit information to tease out. And I don't know what compression shorts are, if I need them, and if they make them in petite sizes...

Dangerscouse
Marathon Poster

Post by Dangerscouse » December 27th, 2020, 7:10 am

kgschneider wrote:
December 26th, 2020, 10:04 pm
But I still don't know if I'm doing it right, if I'm too short for this to be a good exercise for me, if I will ever get my form right, how I will even know, etc. Rowing is starting to feel a little bit like running (getting into my head, enjoying the endorphins, feeling my body in motion, disconnecting from the other places in my life) but is still a bit huge and new with lots of implicit information to tease out. And I don't know what compression shorts are, if I need them, and if they make them in petite sizes...
Like a lot of sports, there is an ideal size but it's not essential unless you were trying to do it professionally.

The technique will naturally be tweaked due to a short reach, drive length etc, which will result in a comparably slower pace, but that doesn't in any way make it a bad exercise for you.

I'm a massive advocate of the mental health that rowing, and exercise generally, can create so enjoy the process and don't focus on the results so much and you'll do just fine.

For a seemingly simple exercise, it is surprisingly technical and there's lots of chances to make mistakes.
50 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:19; 6k= 20:47; 10k= 35:46 30mins= 8,488m 60mins= 16,618m HM= 1:16.47; FM= 2:40:41; 50k= 3:16:09; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

Instagram: stuwenman

GreenStratMan
2k Poster

Post by GreenStratMan » December 27th, 2020, 9:36 am

I’m on week nine of the beginners Pete plan. I’m very pleased with my progress. I really like it. Since I’ve started I’ve done the optional sessions. I’ve made some pace adjustments along the way. I would definitely recommend it.
Kevin, born ‘69. 6’5” 100kg

My Logbook

Ombrax
10k Poster

Post by Ombrax » December 27th, 2020, 10:00 am

kgschneider wrote:
December 26th, 2020, 10:04 pm
if I'm too short for this to be a good exercise for me, if I will ever get my form right, how I will even know
KG, welcome to the forum.

A few replies to your comments:

1) I can guarantee you with 100% certainty that as long as you don't have any medical issues the erg will be a GREAT exercise for you, regardless of your height. No, you won't be breaking any world records, but that's not the point. The whole idea is to get a good workout for you, and as everyone here will tell you, the erg is capable of doing that, especially if you use it properly. Which brings me to:

2) You might not get to perfect form, but with moderate effort you can get to the point where your technique is not a significant issue and it won't hold you back from achieving your goals. Plenty of folks here, years after having started down their rowing journey, are still working on refining their technique. You _can_ fix things.

3) Finally, regarding checking your form, and knowing if you're "right" - the two simplest ways to do this are a) take a video of yourself from the side and compare what you see to the video C2 has posted on their web site. They have explanations of good and bad form and videos of examples of good form and typical bad things some folks do, and b) set the PM display to show you the force curve. It should be a nice, smooth, single-hump, as symmetric as possible. You can watch it real-time for each stroke and watch as changes in what you do affect the curve. It's great way to see if you're doing things properly. See the C2 web site for more information on this. Then, if you feel like it and want a bit more help, you can always save online a video of yourself rowing, then start a thread (with a link to the video) asking for comments and help. As you can see in the threads we already have on that, folks are generous with their knowledge and can be quite helpful.

Good Luck : )
Last edited by Ombrax on December 27th, 2020, 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

TessBrooklyn
Paddler

Post by TessBrooklyn » December 27th, 2020, 10:25 am

Hi KG, from one short female beginner to another, welcome! It sounds like I'm just a few months ahead of you in getting accustomed to the lingo and working on technique. I enjoy all the nerdy nuances of rowing. People have been very welcoming here, and my form and stamina have already improved. I found it very helpful to post a video; I received lots of advice that I still keep in mind. Do ask when you have questions!

Theresa

kgschneider
Paddler

Post by kgschneider » December 27th, 2020, 12:18 pm

Thanks to all for the encouragement and advice! TessBrooklyn, thanks for the female shorty shout-out. :) Overwhelmed, sorry if I coopted your thread but you gave me the motivation to post my questions and concerns. The focus on technique is actually very appealing to me -- I tend to like hobbies and activities that have some element of technical challenge. I'll keep watching and reading and use the break to get my garage video-ready.

rfcii
Paddler

Post by rfcii » December 31st, 2020, 2:47 pm

Thank you everyone! And no problem about the thread kgschneider, glad it is helpful for anyone.

I am doing the Dark Horse beginners workout linked above for three weeks as suggested, and I will take it from there. I have already learned a ton, any my average pace is decreasing 2 seconds per day (not trying for that, just noticed the pattern!).

The lower stroke rates being much more work makes a LOT of sense now, I didn't fully get that initially.

When one does "steady state", is this a series of smaller distances with breaks, or simply go nonstop for a set period of time?