My "trick" Right Knee...

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
unclefester
Paddler

My "trick" Right Knee...

Post by unclefester » March 12th, 2018, 11:40 pm

Heading shortly to my 62nd birthday and I've got a lot of miles on my odometer
I've owned my model B for about 25 years now.
Among my issues is a right knee that "too often" acts up & leaves me limping
Here's my question...
Can I and does anyone here use a "wrap" on elbows or knee joints to help support that joint while rowing??
I am thinking of an elasticized type wrap - tensor bandage - whatever its called to help me along just a bit
Any thoughts & suggestions on how valid my idea is are most welcome
Or if there's a better idea for my wonky right knee I'm all ears

Thanks

e-Clair
Paddler

Re: My "trick" Right Knee...

Post by e-Clair » March 13th, 2018, 6:08 pm

You can row with one leg, so I think it isn’t a matter of whether you can use a wrap, but whether you should. I had a knee blow out around 16 years ago (quadriceps tendon and meniscus, and some cartilage). Rehab only brought it back to about half the strength of the other. It gives out sometimes, but then the other one does so once in a blue moon. Part of getting old. No training got my busted knee stronger past rehab. But when I took up rowing it did seem to get somewhat stronger over perhaps the first year. I’d hate to see you miss out on that if it works out the same for you.
e-Clair

mshaffer
Paddler

Post by mshaffer » April 4th, 2018, 1:20 pm

Be careful rowing on one leg. I tried that once and I guess I over-used my good knee. I couldn't walk on it for about a day. Scary feeling not being able to use either leg..

If you do row with one leg though, dish soap makes an really slippery surface. I used a 100w solar panel that I already had. Very strong surface and no friction at all with water/dish soap on top.

dano0726
Paddler

Post by dano0726 » April 5th, 2018, 2:56 pm

This is my 2nd C2/Model D rower (I mistakenly sold my initial one), and this time around, I have incorporated a compression sleeve on both knees along with a knee strap on top of the sleeve. Has worked wonders for knee soreness...

I also utilize a FlexBar for elbows/wrists/forearms for golf game + rowing

mdpfirrman
10k Poster

Post by mdpfirrman » April 6th, 2018, 9:10 am

I'm only 53 but was told I needed a right knee replacement over 10 years ago from a devastating injury. Still haven't had the knee replaced (it's structurally garbage but functionally, I can get by on it without much pain).

I agree on the compression brace. I found when I first started rehabbing it that the brace helped tremendously. I don't use it much any more but it's because (I think) all the muscles/tendons are much stronger from years of just working with it. I did "cheat" to one side for probably my first year on the rower. I do have to make a concerted effort to use the right leg as much as the left. Making all the muscles stronger around it does help a lot, even if you end up to eventually need it replaced, it won't do anything but help in working it.

Mike Pfirrman
53 Yrs old, 5' 10" / 185 lbs (177cm/84kg)

edinborogh
2k Poster

Post by edinborogh » April 17th, 2018, 10:40 am

unclefester wrote:Heading shortly to my 62nd birthday and I've got a lot of miles on my odometer
I've owned my model B for about 25 years now.
Among my issues is a right knee that "too often" acts up & leaves me limping
Here's my question...
Can I and does anyone here use a "wrap" on elbows or knee joints to help support that joint while rowing??
I am thinking of an elasticized type wrap - tensor bandage - whatever its called to help me along just a bit
Any thoughts & suggestions on how valid my idea is are most welcome
Or if there's a better idea for my wonky right knee I'm all ears

Thanks

i had a knee surgery last December -
other then leaving me depressed, gaining weight that i fought so long and hard to lose, and in the middle of getting really good at long steady state rows, it left my knee swollen and aching.
its been 4 months now and i cant row more then 2K-3K straight.
i have started using an elastic wrap and i dont think its helping me physically, but it does help me mentally. i feel the pain but i feel more confident in pushing the watts higher a bit.

T_M
2k Poster

Post by T_M » April 17th, 2018, 11:35 am

Sometimes when I do max effort sprints, I will wear my Rehband knee sleeves. They provide a little compression, structure and warmth. This works well as the leg drive is hard but it's not full slide.
M, 6'3", 230 DOB Oct 1961
PBs: 100m 14.9 (2018); 1 minute 365m (2017); 2K 7:15 (2014); HM 1:28:39.8 (2016)