Newbie heart rate question

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
Joefish
Paddler

Newbie heart rate question

Post by Joefish » June 10th, 2017, 8:41 am

HI Guys,

Newbie here. I have done a few standard rows in my first week (a couple of 2000M and two 500m back to back). I have a friend who has rowed for 20yrs watch my form so I don't' think it's horrible.

On all my trials above, I am running at my max heart rate toward the end of my run. 181 BPM. I am 47yrs old, 216lb. Looking to get in shape and loose 20lbs.

It almost seems like I'm running above my MHR based on the 220-age calc. I know this is an approximation estimate.

Am I running too hard?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts. I'm excited to do this. Feels good to do something instead of chasing my 3 little kids around!

Joe

Griparn
500m Poster

Re: Newbie heart rate question

Post by Griparn » June 10th, 2017, 11:17 am

Great work put in already in a short time!

Being close to your MHR is right when you are doing 2k time trials and so on. But for general training with the purpose of kosing weight as you said I've would have done more medium intensity stuff. Pete plan is a very good program for rowing and easy to follow, both low intensity and high intensity.

https://thepeteplan.wordpress.com/beginner-training/

Looking forward to hear about your progress in the future!
500M: 1:34.7 2k: 7:12.8 5k:19:06 6k:22.51 10k: 39:55

Weight:77kg Height: 181cm Age:32

bonefixer
1k Poster

Post by bonefixer » June 10th, 2017, 11:33 am

220-age is only a very rough estimate. I'm the same age as you and just got 176 at the end of a 30' test, which is probably my maximum.

If you're just starting out, I'd suggest gradually building up your tolerance for sitting on the machine, both mental and physical. By physical I mean your hands and your backside, as well as your legs and cardiovascular system. Work up to 5000m, firm up your technique, and if monitoring your HR try and keep it at about 80% of your heart rate reserve - 140-150 would be a rough estimate for you. Once you can do that comfortably, then start thinking about your times over various distances and starting a formal training programme.

Keep us posted regarding your progress - this forum is a good place for advice, encouragement and congratulation.
Bonefixer, 47M, 83kg, 183cm

Aims: 6:40 2K, 18:00 5K, 8000m 30min -done, 2.00 pace HM - done

Gammmmo
Half Marathon Poster

Post by Gammmmo » June 10th, 2017, 11:52 am

Joefish wrote:HI Guys,

Newbie here. I have done a few standard rows in my first week (a couple of 2000M and two 500m back to back). I have a friend who has rowed for 20yrs watch my form so I don't' think it's horrible.

On all my trials above, I am running at my max heart rate toward the end of my run. 181 BPM. I am 47yrs old, 216lb. Looking to get in shape and loose 20lbs.

It almost seems like I'm running above my MHR based on the 220-age calc. I know this is an approximation estimate.

Am I running too hard?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts. I'm excited to do this. Feels good to do something instead of chasing my 3 little kids around!

Joe
Yes, bin that idea of MHR=220-age. I am 45 and max out somewhere around 193. If you are "looking to get in shape" I'd say perhaps it'd be more prudent to build up to sessions where you're maxxing your HR? Take your time and the gains will come rapidly and then the REALLY hard work starts. Have fun ;)
Paul, 49M, 5'11" 83kg (sprint PBs HWT), ex biker now lifting
Deadlift=190kg, LP=1:15, 100m=15.7s, 1min=350m Image
Targets: 14s (100m), 355m+ 1min, 1:27(500m), 3:11(1K)

Erg on!

sekitori
2k Poster

Post by sekitori » June 10th, 2017, 12:57 pm

Joefish wrote:HI Guys,

Am I running too hard?

Joe
Maximal heart rate is the determining factor for the selection of so-called heart rate training zones. But aside from taking a medically supervised stress test to total exhaustion, it's virtually impossible to find one's MHR. There are all kinds of formulas that supposedly will but for a large percentage of people, none of them are accurate. The least accurate of all seems to be the 220-age formula. I also reach the 180+ BPM mark when I work out and I'm quite a bit older than you, yet I feel no ill effects from it--other than being a little tired, of course. One minute after I finish, my heart rate drops considerably--a sign that I'm in at least pretty good shape.

The interesting part of all this is that, using any of these formulas, my heart rate reaches more than 30 BPM over my theoretical maximal heart rate and remains there for an hour or so--but I'm not out of breath and I have no abnormal discomfort of any sort. I have no idea what my MHR is and since I don't follow any formulas based on it, I don't care to know. It sounds like you are one of those people like me where max heart rate formulas don't apply.

How do you feel when you reach 181 BPM? Are you extremely short of breath? Are you in any sort of abnormal physical distress? If not, you're probably just fine. Check your pulse one minute after you finish. If it's at least 30 BPM less, that's good. If it has decreased by more than that, that's even better. As you get into better shape, that one minute number will drop even more.

If you are new to starting an exercise program and you have cardiac risk factors, your physician will probably have you take a medically supervised maximal stress test or its equivalent. It's a very wise thing to do. But if that's not necessary, it's still a good idea to get a doctor's approval before beginning any exercise program.

Just remember that the most important thing to consider is how you feel. Don't be guided by a theoretical number that has no value whatsoever.

jamesg
Half Marathon Poster

Post by jamesg » June 11th, 2017, 5:02 am

For normal fitness training (not racing) there's no need to go over 220-Age. My max is about 160, but 220-77 is 143, more than enough to keep me fit. Indeed going higher will shorten the work and reduce the total amount done, defeating the object of the exercise.

If aiming to lose weight, time aboard counts even more, so power has to be low: 1.5 to 2 W/kg will probably be enough.
08-1940, 183cm, 83kg.
2024: stroke 5.5W-min@20-21. ½k 190W, 1k 145W, 2k 120W. Using Wods 4-5days/week

Joefish
Paddler

Post by Joefish » June 11th, 2017, 1:10 pm

Thanks for all your replies guys. Much appreciated. You had some really good points.

Just yesterday, an acquaintance at Church collapsed and died in front of his family after walking in the house after a run. He was 40 yrs old and seemed fit to me. Really sad stuff.

I think I'll contact my doctor to see if he recommends I get a stress test or anything before hitting the erg hard. I guess it's normal to think about this stuff when you're just starting exercise after 20yrs of no real regular exercise etc. I never thought about stuff like this in my 20s and 30s but when I got in my 40s I started thinking differently about things.

Thanks again guys.

Joe

sekitori
2k Poster

Post by sekitori » June 11th, 2017, 4:45 pm

Joefish wrote:Thanks for all your replies guys. Much appreciated. You had some really good points.

Just yesterday, an acquaintance at Church collapsed and died in front of his family after walking in the house after a run. He was 40 yrs old and seemed fit to me. Really sad stuff.

I think I'll contact my doctor to see if he recommends I get a stress test or anything before hitting the erg hard. I guess it's normal to think about this stuff when you're just starting exercise after 20yrs of no real regular exercise etc. I never thought about stuff like this in my 20s and 30s but when I got in my 40s I started thinking differently about things.

Thanks again guys.

Joe

The only good thing to come out of the sudden death of someone who apparently was in good health is that it's a wake up call to remind people of their own mortality. Consulting your doctor before you go any further is a very wise decision. Chances are excellent that he or she will give you clearance to continue using the erg. But to be absolutely sure of that, you'll need an official medical okay.

Your use of the words "hitting the erg hard" bothers me. Having that attitude when you start is counterproductive. It could possibly result in frustration or injury--maybe both. :( Begin by using proper technique and then slowly increase the length and intensity of your workouts. Like your decision to check with your doctor, it's the most intelligent thing to do. In time, you'll be hitting the erg as hard as you care to. Good luck.