Anyone using apps for motivation?

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
MadsNilsson
Paddler

Anyone using apps for motivation?

Post by MadsNilsson » May 19th, 2015, 4:07 pm

Does anyone knows about any nice training apps that connects to PM5? Best thing I found so long is ErgData, but could have more fun with other kind of apps - that let you compete and so on.

How do you setup your app/software training?
1) What apps?
2) How do you program them?
3) Connectivity from, for example, a H7 belt > polar m400 watch > PM5 > some app?

Possible? Got different apps, like MapMyfittness and Endemondo. By this point I find that I get right calories connecting H7 to my Polar H7 hr monitor. The watch reads the calories. The PM reads my work. Would be fun to have them work together? Also tried RowPro - but in my time zone, there is never anyone online.

Thank you so much in advance.
Best,
Mads

mg6682
2k Poster

Re: Anyone using apps for motivation?

Post by mg6682 » May 20th, 2015, 10:26 am

Liverowing is a new one that is set to release soon. Looks like an app version of rowpro.
Morgan Guthner, age 45, 6'2" (188cm), 244lbs (110kg)
C2 Image
SkiErg Image

mg6682
2k Poster

Post by mg6682 » May 20th, 2015, 1:05 pm

Just spoke to the manufacturer - said the app will be available in about two months and will work wireless w the PM5. Was going to buy rowpro, but am going to check this out first. It would be cool to be able to use an iPhone or even better, a tablet to race online.
Morgan Guthner, age 45, 6'2" (188cm), 244lbs (110kg)
C2 Image
SkiErg Image

Carl Watts
Marathon Poster

Post by Carl Watts » May 20th, 2015, 6:40 pm

mg6682 wrote:Liverowing is a new one that is set to release soon. Looks like an app version of rowpro.
Classic I told Digital Rowing they needed to develop a RowPro LITE years ago for mobile devices, instead they opted to continue to develop the Mac Version which has a very very small percentage of the worlds OS.

Anyone could see Bluetooth coming in the PM monitor and it just opens up a world of connectivity options. The only problem with this is that number of developers and Apps needs to be limited or it just spreads the number of people who are rowing Online over too many Apps and then the numbers just are not there to fill the 16 lanes.

The Apps on a mobile device potentially pull in a massive number of additional users at Gyms who don't own there own Erg.

Too many different Apps and you will be "Racing" on you own, 24/7 is a lot of time to fill in a rowing schedule to get others on with you online and its most noticeable down here in New Zealand as we are not in a good time zone for lots of online users.
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log

nukwa33
Paddler

Post by nukwa33 » May 22nd, 2015, 9:19 pm

mg6682 wrote:Liverowing is a new one that is set to release soon. Looks like an app version of rowpro.
I keep seeing this in my Facebook circles. I signed up for Beta but other than that no new info. I did find a couple reviews:
http://www.fitness-gaming.com/news/mark ... V_VV6VuC2x

http://www.topfitnessmag.com/rowing-mac ... chine-app/

I'm just getting started with rowing and definitely need motivation. Has anyone gotten a response on if they are in the Beta testing pool yet?

Live Rowing
Paddler

Post by Live Rowing » May 22nd, 2015, 10:36 pm

Carl, TimeZones won't be a problem. With LiveRowing we have "Turn-based" workout challenges. Meaning you could do a 2k workout at anytime and send it off to a friend or another user around to world to row against. We capture you workout details many times per second so when you receive a challenged or send one it will be played back exactly how it was originally rowed. Its amazing! We have many more features that I'm sure you will enjoy as well.

www.liverowing.net

The LiveRowing Team
Denver

Live Rowing
Paddler

Post by Live Rowing » May 22nd, 2015, 10:39 pm

We are also manufacturing a Apple Lighting Cable for the newer generations of iDevices(iPhone 5, 6 and 6+). Its called "LiveRowing Connect" this will allow you to use the LiveRowing App if you don't have a PM5. The PM5 is amazing!

The LiveRowing Team
Denver

Carl Watts
Marathon Poster

Post by Carl Watts » May 23rd, 2015, 7:43 am

Looks good for one on one racing, again a very small market segment. Mention "Racing" and most users run screaming. The wrong perception of RowPro is that its all about "Racing", its not its about training and motivation long term to keep rowing, the problem with online rowing is the human psyche these days ..... no one wants to come last so they don't participate. So many Ergs just get sold and resold after a couple of years by owners with the best intentions who just loose interest after a while. Great App for a mobile device however, good to see them starting to appear, the technology is already here and the software and Apps are not here yet to take full advantage of it..
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log

nukwa33
Paddler

Post by nukwa33 » May 23rd, 2015, 7:45 am

So this app can be used anywhere? I train at a crappy gym that miraculously has three good ergs. I would just need the cable? When approximately will people know if they are on the Beta group?

Live Rowing
Paddler

Post by Live Rowing » May 23rd, 2015, 9:19 am

Carl Watts wrote:Looks good for one on one racing, again a very small market segment. Mention "Racing" and most users run screaming. The wrong perception of RowPro is that its all about "Racing", its not its about training and motivation long term to keep rowing, the problem with online rowing is the human psyche these days ..... no one wants to come last so they don't participate. So many Ergs just get sold and resold after a couple of years by owners with the best intentions who just loose interest after a while. Great App for a mobile device however, good to see them starting to appear, the technology is already here and the software and Apps are not here yet to take full advantage of it..
Carl, We are open to suggestions, adding features, etc --- after we get v1 out to the market.

Thanks for checking us out.

The LiveRowing Team