Breathing question

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
Trev
500m Poster

Breathing question

Post by Trev » March 22nd, 2015, 4:32 am

My erging is limited by my breathing. I'm breathing in a controlled way 2 breaths per stroke.

The day before yesterday I did 5000m at an average 155 watts.
Yesterday I was only able to do 117'watts for the same level of breathing and stroke rate.

Is this just a reflection of fatigued muscles demanding more oxygen for a given power?

My muscles don't feel fatigued, just the power is reduced for the same breathing effort.

I feel as if my muscles are capable of delivering far more power than my cardiovascular system can deliver. The muscles don't get stressed at all rowing because I get into breathing difficulties and have to ease off the power to get things back under control.

Power consistently is much higher after a day off and even higher after 2 days off. But fresh or fatigued my performance is limited by my breathing.

hjs
Marathon Poster

Re: Breathing question

Post by hjs » March 22nd, 2015, 5:30 am

Trev wrote:My erging is limited by my breathing. I'm breathing in a controlled way 2 breaths per stroke.

Yesterday I was only able to do 117'watts for the same level of breathing and stroke rate.

Is this just a reflection of fatigued muscles demanding more oxygen for a given power?

My muscles don't feel fatigued, just the power is reduced for the same breathing effort.

I feel as if my muscles are capable of delivering far more power than my cardiovascular system can deliver. The muscles don't get stressed at all rowing because I get into breathing difficulties and have to ease off the power to get things back under control.

Power consistently is much higher after a day off and even higher after 2 days off. But fresh or fatigued my performance is limited by my breathing.
Its seldom the lungs or strenght that is the weakest link, its getting not enough oxigion to the working muscle that is, the heart not pumping enough blood around and the tissues not being able to absorb oxigion.

jamesg
Half Marathon Poster

Post by jamesg » March 22nd, 2015, 5:48 am

If that's well over your usual level, day-after effects are to be expected. When it happens to me I put it down to generic damage control and let my innards get on with it. Like what the Chinese do when it rains.
08-1940, 183cm, 83kg.
2024: stroke 5.5W-min@20-21. ½k 190W, 1k 145W, 2k 120W. Using Wods 4-5days/week

DanielJ
2k Poster

Post by DanielJ » March 22nd, 2015, 6:56 am

jamesg wrote:I put it down to generic damage control and let my innards get on with it. Like what the Chinese do when it rains.
:D
30, 6'2 (1.88m); 179 lb (81 kg)
Learning, improving, getting stronger, and wanting more.
Recent tests: 1:41.7/500 for 1k; 1:34.9/500 for 2 minutes