Question for the Guys

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
JoeCPA
Paddler

Question for the Guys

Post by JoeCPA » March 7th, 2015, 5:55 pm

New to rowing. I'm out of shape (5'6" @ 250lbs). Trying to get back into shape via rowing. Rowed 5000 last night at an embarrassing 28:05. but it's still faster than the guy sitting on the couch. But my question is (ladies stop reading here), is my testicles really took a beating during the 5k. So I was wondering if most guys wear compression shorts or such when rowing? If so do they help? I think if I row a 10k my boys will fall off.

Thanks,
Joe
Started rowing March 4, 2015

Steve W
2k Poster

Re: Question for the Guys

Post by Steve W » March 7th, 2015, 7:55 pm

Just reading this hurt :cry: . No problem here but suggest trying compression shorts or jock strap, both if necessary. If that helps, even a little, maybe add a seat pad. Your times and effort are commendable. Doesn't sound like just toughing it out or 'hanging in there' is a good idea. Experiment & protect the boys on their path to fitness.
63yo, 62kg, Erg 500m, 1:58.6; 1k; 2k 8:04; 5k 20:46; 30min 7096m; 10k 43:49; 1 hour 13578m; half marathon, 1:37:49; marathon, 3:36:47
Skierg 2K 9:10; 5k 24:30; 30 min 6075m; 10k 49:56.5; 1hr 11776m; half marathon, 1:52:43.2; skierg marathon, 4:04:14.

Bobpond
Paddler

Post by Bobpond » March 7th, 2015, 8:13 pm

Welcome and good for you getting going. I'm a newbie too and also out of shape, but like you said moving is better than sitting. I'm doing right around the times you quoted, so if you're embarrased then I'm right here with you.

I don't wear anything special for rowing, generally boxers and sweat shorts, but then again my C2 is in my basement which is COLD so <insert indelicate comment here>.

On my powerlifting days I wear compression neoprene shorts to combat the 45F basement and use the rower for a warmup and I find that the compression makes the catch difficult as the shorts are fighting me. They are too much but maybe something lighter would work for you. Fighting my stomach is quite enough...

Have you tried moving the foot rests all the way down, and angling your toes out a bit? That might help.
6'3" - 290lbs (that's going to change!) - 54yo

Carl Watts
Marathon Poster

Post by Carl Watts » March 7th, 2015, 11:19 pm

I wear compression shorts or skins or something tight like a rowing suit for er.... a bit of "composure".

Sometimes you need to have a bit of a fiddle with the equipment at the start of the row while seated, but then your away and you don't need to touch it again.

Potentially you carrying a little too much weight on the inner thighs and it's kind of squeezing things so I would mix the rowing with walking/jogging for some weight loss and that will also help things.
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log

Edward4492
10k Poster

Post by Edward4492 » March 7th, 2015, 11:37 pm

Never be embarrassed by your times! We all had to start somewhere. Best part is the heavier you are, the more progress you'll make. I wear a rowing uni-suit that keeps things in place, but I find I have to re-arrange the "furniture" a bit when I get started to get everything where it belongs. You're probably to big (no offense) for a racing uni, so either a jock strap or some sort of tighty-whiteys or biking shorts to snug thing ups. Do not try and "man up" and tough it out. Keep up the good work!

DanielJ
2k Poster

Post by DanielJ » March 8th, 2015, 1:26 am

I must be 8 years old. I can't stop giggling at the euphemisms. I'm supposed to be working!
30, 6'2 (1.88m); 179 lb (81 kg)
Learning, improving, getting stronger, and wanting more.
Recent tests: 1:41.7/500 for 1k; 1:34.9/500 for 2 minutes

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » March 8th, 2015, 4:21 am

There's only one real answer and that's radical surgery.

hjs
Marathon Poster

Post by hjs » March 8th, 2015, 5:15 am

Citroen wrote:There's only one real answer and that's radical surgery.
Not everybody will find this overly funny :wink: It can also be read in a few ways... :D

JoeCPA
Paddler

Post by JoeCPA » March 8th, 2015, 5:50 pm

I appreciate the replies and the euphemisms.

I rowed a 750 today and before the row I sat down and did some 'adjusting' of things. It helped a lot. I might try some compression shorts and see if that eases things.

I also thank you for the encouragement. My times are slow, but one day I can look back at my 2:11 500 and think "was I rowing without a paddle"?

Joe
Started rowing March 4, 2015

InlineJinn
Paddler

Post by InlineJinn » March 8th, 2015, 9:09 pm

Hi Joe--I've had this problem too. For me, wearing cycling tights and a sweatshirt so that I was warmer helps (more room to find a comfortable position), as does consciously keeping my knees apart. The things we do for our art...

Hillclimber
2k Poster

Post by Hillclimber » March 8th, 2015, 11:42 pm

cycling shorts, or that sort of thing without the pad. because, when all is said and done the padding in cycling shorts has no real effect padding-wise, the shorts are designed to keep your junk out of the way while getting up out of and back into the saddle hundreds of times in a race. so, they can keep the yard clear for rowing as well.
Damien Roohr
60, 6-5, 230 lbs
CT, US

TheLittleViking
Paddler

Post by TheLittleViking » April 10th, 2015, 6:38 pm

How do everyone? I'm not a rower I'm a retired Rugby player and weight lifter who found the concept an excellent training aid for both these sport. However I don't think the Rugby or Weights returned the favor by improving my rowing in equal proportion.

Many forward in Rugby and Weight lifters of either discipline (power lifting/Olympic lifting) can suffer from a literal pain in the nuts when doing aerobic training for long periods.

Our thighs are abnormally thick at the top particularly in Rugby forward players. Have you ever seen a Rugby forward who could properly sit in a chair and cross his legs? Even retired I still can't do it and doubt I ever will. This abnormal thickening of our legs near the top can literally put your nuts in a huge cracker or at the very least Squeeze them like huge handed Bike gang member wearing Elephant skin gauntlets.

Many of us found using a Jock strap of the correct size elevated the "problems" out of harms way for the most part but never truly completely. Think of jock strap as a mans answer to the ladies bra. It does not "lift and separate" thank God but they do lift them for the most part away from a pounding when exercising.

Remember get the right size, Buy a good make. Buy more than one and keep them scrupulously clean. I doubt this is a complete cure but it will stop your gonads groaning quite so loudly at the sight of a rower seat.

If you keep at it your weight will drop allowing other things to "drop" without painful consequence. Hope that helps all three of you :D