Ranger's training thread

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
ranger
Marathon Poster

Re: Ranger's training thread

Post by ranger » February 12th, 2011, 10:55 am

mikvan52 wrote:
Is this troll banter? (We've been through this before!) But I'll bite..... :mrgreen: Before I answer your question I'd like to know your best 1k time OTW. In this "tutti frutti" cyber world it's sometimes good to come back to reality. Races are won by getting to the finish line first. Stroke rate measurements (SPI) are not the issue!

Rich: Who had the fastest 55-59 1k time OTW in the US last summer? Who has won 11 consecutive 1k contests against all comers at the last two National Championships?
Hint: Look below in my signature
"all 55-59 men" means heavyweights too (like Spousta)

I gear all my training to win on the water. Funny that it works well enough to win Crash-bs twice...

Maybe you should start listening to someone who's "been there" if you want to scull well => leave your "unfinished business" (6:16 2k on the erg) on the shelf and learn how to row well OTW. :idea: Based on actual weight: You are only a fraction better than me on the erg. Think for a moment though: "What does the technique you've built for the erg done for your OTW prospects?"

IOW: Give up SPI & learn to move a boat. You could start by either rowing on slides or getting a dynamic erg from C2.
The Head of the Charles is coming up sooner than you think. Spousta, Meyer, Anderson and others are not worried about your advertised and never demonstrated 13 spi on the erg... you only held 11 for about a minute at the BIRC.... just like an ordinary top athlete... not "unprecedented".

Have you given up on Boston yet? Weight cutting sucks, doesn't it?
Sorry: I'm not being "positive" am I? :oops:

Here: Listen to this:

http://www.carlosdinares.com/carloss-ti ... ry-stroke/

and read this part:
Carlos Dinares is against any situation that makes the rower destroy his stroke. He doesn’t understand why rowers that test on the stationary erg have the chance to take the last 250 meters without using their legs when we all know that this makes you stop the boat and develop bad habits. Is the result of this test real? What gives you a score doesn’t assure you water speed.
Not sure why you're talking all of this OTW stuff.

This is an indoor rowing training forum.

Could you move these comments to their proper place?

ranger
Rich Cureton M 72 5'11" 165 lbs. 2K pbs: 6:27.5 (hwt), 6:28 (lwt)

ranger
Marathon Poster

Post by ranger » February 12th, 2011, 10:57 am

mikvan52 wrote:Carlos Dinares is against any situation that makes the rower destroy his stroke. He doesn’t understand why rowers that test on the stationary erg have the chance to take the last 250 meters without using their legs when we all know that this makes you stop the boat and develop bad habits. Is the result of this test real? What gives you a score doesn’t assure you water speed.
There is no need to row this way OTErg.

I know it how _you_ row OTErg.

But I am exactly urging you to do otherwise.

I don't row this way OTErg.

When I am fully prepared to race OTErg, I finish a 2K by just upping the rate, maintaining my stroking power and technique.

When I pulled sub-6:30 at Baltimore in 2006, I finished, 1:34 @ 34 spm (12.5 SPI) after pulling the first 1700m, 1:38 @ 31 spm (12 SPI).

ranger

ranger
Marathon Poster

Post by ranger » February 12th, 2011, 11:03 am

Byron Drachman wrote:
Ranger wrote:Feb 12, 2011: I'm a lard ball! Given my body type, this is a scourge of age, I guess. At 60 years old, for some folks, it is pretty hard to get lean.
The metabolism tends to slow down as we age. You can fight the process not only by exercising more but also by counting calories and not exaggerating the amount of calories you burn while exercising. Also, over the years you have made references to binge drinking and binge eating so I assume they are contributing to the problem.
Only 1% of 60-year-olds are 10% body fat, and of those 1%, most are like you: they couldn't row a lick if their life depended on it, because they don't have the musculature. They are just beanpoles (ectomorphs, etc.), muscularly unsuited for rowing.

ranger

mikvan52
Half Marathon Poster

Post by mikvan52 » February 12th, 2011, 11:05 am

ranger wrote:
Not sure why you're talking all of this OTW stuff.

Hey Dick!

Please remember you were asking an OTW question..
(You are such a turkey!)

And... You've insisted at great length on these pages how your erg stroke prepares you for winning the HOCR the 1st time out...

This is your doing, not mine:
ranger wrote:Mike--

What do you rate for 2K OTW in your ix?

26 spm?
If I were charitable I'd attribute all this to early Alzheimer's on your part.... but you aren't young :wink:

ranger
Marathon Poster

Post by ranger » February 12th, 2011, 11:08 am

Steve G wrote:max was around 168
Yep.

So for you, 80% HRR is 140 bpm, not 160 bpm, as it is for me.

ranger

mikvan52
Half Marathon Poster

Post by mikvan52 » February 12th, 2011, 11:10 am

ranger wrote: When I am fully prepared to race OTErg, I finish a 2K by just upping the rate, maintaining my stroking power and technique.
I'm confused: Doesn't higher rate and the same wattage mean lower SPI?

When exactly is your deadline for posting your 1st ever IND_V piece of 2k at 13 spi average?
(rhetorical question: a 60 year-old lwt cannot erg a championship quality 2k piece at 13 spi)

Why weren't you able to row ANY of the BIRC "out-o-gas" effort at 13 spi?

All-in-all you score zero for sense on this whole topic.
Show it, my friend!

MRapp
500m Poster

Post by MRapp » February 12th, 2011, 11:13 am

ranger wrote:
bellboy wrote:Is Cincy far from Ann Arbor? Wonder if he's there and raring to go?! We can but hope.
Naw.

I'm still home here in Ann Arbor, taking it easy.

Nice 20K of "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy," this morning, followed by an hour OTBike, HR 155 bpm.

ranger
Nice work. Add another DNS to the long list of fraud. Are you still planning to show up in Boston before you DNS, or will you just stay home and save the trip?

A couple months ago you were chirping about racing on 6 consecutive weekends this winter and setting WR's in every one of them. Your string of records so far is 7:02, DNS, DNS unless I'm mistaken. Pretty impressive stuff no? Unprecedented string of disappointment and cowardice.

PaulH
6k Poster

Post by PaulH » February 12th, 2011, 11:20 am

ranger wrote: Not sure why you're talking all of this OTW stuff.

ranger
Duly noted - I'll move any such comments I see in the future. Probably to the bit bucket.

bellboy
2k Poster

Post by bellboy » February 12th, 2011, 11:41 am

MRapp wrote:
ranger wrote:
bellboy wrote:Is Cincy far from Ann Arbor? Wonder if he's there and raring to go?! We can but hope.
Naw.

I'm still home here in Ann Arbor, taking it easy.

Nice 20K of "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy," this morning, followed by an hour OTBike, HR 155 bpm.

ranger
Nice work. Add another DNS to the long list of fraud. Are you still planning to show up in Boston before you DNS, or will you just stay home and save the trip?

A couple months ago you were chirping about racing on 6 consecutive weekends this winter and setting WR's in every one of them. Your string of records so far is 7:02, DNS, DNS unless I'm mistaken. Pretty impressive stuff no? Unprecedented string of disappointment and cowardice.

I smell a huge whiff of poultry eminating from the mid west. If it wasn't so funny it would be rather tragic.

mikvan52
Half Marathon Poster

Post by mikvan52 » February 12th, 2011, 12:21 pm

bellboy wrote:
I smell a huge whiff of poultry eminating from the mid west. If it wasn't so funny it would be rather tragic.
Nice one, bell' ! :D

:idea: :arrow: Let's harken back to ranger's "my work is done" "I now row well" "I will sharpen from here to WIRC" days...

It's all icing on the proverbial cake:

The work is done - the hay is in the barn... and such ....

Just another day at the office for the old Reid Frawdster.
Pour a tall one for yourself, kick back, and repeat "2003" for thousands of posts. Be "happy with that now".

MRapp
500m Poster

Post by MRapp » February 12th, 2011, 12:48 pm

Post removed for stupidity on my part. I still believe the post to be true, but the least I can do is re-post it after tomorrow:)
Last edited by MRapp on February 12th, 2011, 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2 B a motofiller
Paddler

Post by 2 B a motofiller » February 12th, 2011, 2:13 pm

MRapp wrote:So what's the excuse today? Just decided to take it easy for the day?
Race is tomorrow.

Byron Drachman
10k Poster

Post by Byron Drachman » February 12th, 2011, 4:03 pm

Byron Drachman wrote:
Ranger wrote: I'm a lard ball! Given my body type, this is a scourge of age, I guess. At 60 years old, for some folks, it is pretty hard to get lean.
The metabolism tends to slow down as we age. You can fight the process not only by exercising more but also by counting calories and not exaggerating the amount of calories you burn while exercising. Also, over the years you have made references to binge drinking and binge eating so I assume they are contributing to the problem.
Ranger's response:
Ranger wrote:Only 1% of 60-year-olds are 10% body fat, and of those 1%, most are like you: they couldn't row a lick if their life depended on it, because they don't have the musculature. They are just beanpoles (ectomorphs, etc.), muscularly unsuited for rowing.
I am beginning to suspect that Ranger does not like my postings. Could that be? Why ever not?

claus hansen
Paddler

Post by claus hansen » February 12th, 2011, 4:24 pm

When you're traveling, you are what you are right there and then. People don't have your past to hold against you. No yesterdays on the road. - William Least Heat Moon
Claus, age 47, 73 kg., 174 cm. Erg-newbie
SB: 500/1.42.8, 2000/7.48, 5000/19.51, 10 km./41.57, 60 min./13962
PB: 500/1.42.8, 2000/7.48, 5000/19.47, 10 km./41.11, 60 min./13962
Runner, cyclist, triathlete, microbeer lover and chessplayer, bookworm.

ranger
Marathon Poster

Post by ranger » February 12th, 2011, 5:26 pm

mikvan52 wrote:a 60 year-old lwt cannot erg a championship quality 2k piece at 13 spi
I don't think that's true at all.

55s heavyweights like Cashin pull 15.5 SPI. That's rowing pretty darn well.

Sure, lightweights can't pull 15.5 SPI and do very well over 2K, but 13 SPI is a different matter.

That's entirely possible, especially for a 60s lwt who, eventually, is going to beat all of the 60s heavyweights and set the 60s hwt WR, rowing as a lightweight.

I have done 1Kr24 @ 1:38, and even so, still struggling with technique.

That's 15.5 SPI.

And I have pulled a sub-6:30 2K at 12 SPI.

ranger