Training for Crew in September

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
jaquesra
Paddler

Training for Crew in September

Post by jaquesra » July 27th, 2009, 9:34 am

Alright... first post on here, but I think I just need a little direction. I am a complete novice rower. I plan on joining the Rowing Club here at my University. Conditioning and training starts around September 23rd. This gives me 8 or 9 weeks to prepare.

I started on the rowing machine last week and got the following times in 2 sessions.

5,000m 24:06.5 2:24.6
2,000m 8:46.2 2:11.5

As for my own stats, I am 23 yrs old. I weigh 215 lbs and am 5' 6" tall. My bf% is around 24%. What should I be doing to prepare for the fall? I spoke with the coach, and all he said was do 20-40 minutes of cardio everyday. That's awfully vague, and I would love ANY advice anyone has.

Thanks!

bloomp
10k Poster

Post by bloomp » July 27th, 2009, 1:42 pm

That is extremely vague, rather poor for a coach, but my first suggestion would be to work on your endurance. Do longer pieces (40-60 minutes) daily, and try to keep the stroke rating low. This will build your power per stroke and enhance your cardiovascular fitness drastically. It will also help you knock off some weight, as that is in direct correlation to boat speed (boost your power to weight ratio, which most coaches will look at to boat you).

If you want specific workouts, I can email you a simplified and tailored version of Mike Caviston's Wolverine plan that will get you in much better shape, provided you will do 5+ workouts per week.
24, 166lbs, 5'9

jaquesra
Paddler

Post by jaquesra » July 27th, 2009, 1:46 pm

The vagueness might be related to this being a club sport at my school. Since it isn't an official university sport, it doesn't get athletic department support.

Please send me that plan. Just doing stuff on my own, I've been working out 9 of the last 10 or 11 days.

iain
10k Poster

Post by iain » July 28th, 2009, 6:03 am

When people say "daily", they mean mostly. You only get faster when resting, so a minimum of a day off a week is essential. If you are getting tired before, a day off every 2 or 3 days may be optimal as it is better to do quality training with good rest.

You also should think about your nutrition. I am no expert but would recommend never training hungry, take in sugars and protein post workout and spread other food throughout the day in small "snacks" except for a modest main meal so you are never hungry.

Best of luck.

- Iain
56, lightweight in pace and by gravity. Currently training 3-4 times a week after a break to slowly regain the pitiful fitness I achieved a few years ago. Free Spirit, come join us http://www.freespiritsrowing.com/forum/

bloomp
10k Poster

Post by bloomp » July 28th, 2009, 7:54 am

I have to disagree Iain, maybe after 5-7 days of exercise you should take a day off, but when you get into the mentality that "oh 2 or 3 days of work is so hard, I'll just take some time off", it's harder to keep with a routine.

But agreed, nutrition is also a big deal. Post workout, you need to get food into your body, something high in protein if possible. Milk is good, meat, eggs. I know you'll feel like eating carbohydrates, but that's not what your body really needs.
24, 166lbs, 5'9

SirWired
500m Poster

Post by SirWired » July 28th, 2009, 12:36 pm

I dunno... after regular long, hard, workouts the body needs to replenish it's glycogen reserves somehow, and I don't think protein is the best way to do that. To feed your now-expanding muscles, sure, you need protein, but carbs are important too, lest your body "run out of gas" for the next workout.

I would think that a good post-workout meal would be something like an egg sandwich on two thick slices of whole-wheat toast, with some milk and/or yogurt. (Calcium is very important to keep those bones shored up under the new loads.)

SirWired

Mattlikespeoples
Paddler

Post by Mattlikespeoples » July 28th, 2009, 4:21 pm

You people need to do some research about nuttrition if you think that protien is what your body needs more of after an intense cardio workout. Simple carbs (8-16oz gatorade) 30 mins before your work depending on length and intensity of workout along with environmental condition. Rowing for Georgia State we workout from 7:30-9:30 right by the river. It's hot and humid so proper hydration and enough carbs are essential for that length of time. Post workout do another 8-16oz immediately after you finish. You can get your protien and complex carbs in but let the simple carbs absorb for about 15-30 mins. This will help replenish those glycogen stores SirWired spoke of. The complex carbs and protien take longer to digest thus getting those nutrients to your system slower. Fats also slow this process.

Summary:Simple carbs before, during (if working out for 45+mins), and after. Complex carbs and protiens 30-60mins after workout

Nosmo
10k Poster

Post by Nosmo » July 28th, 2009, 9:25 pm

My advice is unless you get some good coaching on the erg, stay off it if you want to be a good OTW rower. You will just get in to bad habits that will take a while to correct. If you don't get good coaching (from an experienced coach not just from someone who has been on the school team for a couple of years) and want to erg, video tape yourself post videos to U-tube a couple of times a week and ask for advice here. Concentrate on technique to the exclusion of all else.
Bike ride, swim and weight train (again good technique) for the next month. If you can work up to a couple of hours a day. You'll loose more weight and get fitter then averaging 30 minutes a day on the erg.

jaquesra
Paddler

Post by jaquesra » July 28th, 2009, 9:59 pm

Thanks for the replies so far....

I can attest to being extremely hungry the entire rest of the day when I work out on the erg in the morning. I'm going to be out of town the next 10 days, and will not have access to anything but an exercise bike and some free weights at my parents house. I'm planning to run on the track at the High School, spend some time on the bike, and do a bit of weight training. When I get back, I'm going to try to work up to doing 45-60+ of cardio 6 of 7 days of the week. I really want to work on rowing because it works a completely different set of muscles than any other workout I've ever done. I've watched lots of videos of people demonstrating proper technique, and have been working hard at trying to get my technique good (proper sequence, exploding off the catch, slower recovery, keeping the spm lower).

I'm feeling like I might be at a severe disadvantage for the rowing club come fall, but I'm serious and plan on working my ass off over the next 8 weeks to get into shape. I only wish that the coach had given me more direction!

I'm looking for any additional training information on workouts I can do. On another board I posted to, Pete's Plan was recommended, and I would like to do that. What else could I do?

As you can see, I am in need of (and like) structure in my training. I like to be told exactly what I need to do.

Thanks again!

Mattlikespeoples
Paddler

Post by Mattlikespeoples » July 30th, 2009, 12:50 pm

Not to offend but at 5'6" and 215lbs and with the times you're pulling i've got a feeling that getting your weight down will be a big thing. Keep doing your cardio. I'll just guess that you're a guy so at that height you should be about 150-165 if you've got some muscle on you. Eat healthy but try to be in a calorie deficit meaning you burn more than you eat. People argue that being heavier is beneficial on the erg but you want to reallly focus on being fast on the water and weight is a huge factor in that.

Also, as a general rule of thumb running only leads to minimal gains in rowing. Focus most of your cardio on the erg.

jaquesra
Paddler

Update

Post by jaquesra » August 16th, 2009, 6:06 pm

Wanted to give an update. I've been working out full time this week using a modified Wolverine plan that was prepared for me. I've gone from 215 to 212 (I wish it would be a great weight loss... grrr..). Here are my workouts and times (w/ Details):

Distance Time Avg/500m Date Comments
12,757m 1:00:00.0 2:21.0 8/16/2009 18 spm

12,000m 56:54.5 2:22.2 8/15/2009 2 x 6k, 18 spm

12,451m 1:00:00.0 2:24.5 8/13/2009 18 spm

12,000m 58:59.2 2:27.4 8/12/2009 2 x 6k

8,000m 36:56.0 2:18.5 8/11/2009

6,259m 30:00.0 2:23.7 8/10/2009

I'm averaging approximately 18-20 spm. I've been focusing on doing slower spm and maintaining better form.

bloomp
10k Poster

Post by bloomp » August 17th, 2009, 8:57 am

The workouts you are doing are perfect for the fitness you need. If, however, you put in a 'sprint' type workout, focusing on dropping the splits more and more, that'll help a ton with your weight loss and let you know how it feels to apply power.

A suggestion (that I didn't include in the plan i sent you) is called a 4-1-1 workout. You row for either 18 or 24 minutes, and go 4 minutes steady, 1 minute sprint, 1 minute light. Repeat that 3 or 4 times and do at least 2x18 or 24 minute pieces. Adding in the sprint in between steady state work forces your body to look elsewhere for energy, and voila you burn more calories and force your body to metabolize your fat for energy.
24, 166lbs, 5'9

James_Ryde_RC
Paddler

Post by James_Ryde_RC » August 17th, 2009, 12:00 pm

type in your details to the concept 2 programme (interactive training) and stick to it religiously!