2k time improvement with year of training

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
craig
Paddler

2k time improvement with year of training

Post by craig » April 20th, 2009, 11:58 am

I am a total newbie. I am in fairly good shape from running and weightlifting, 35 yrs old, 5/11, 180lbs. I can currently row a 2k in 6:59 with about 2 weeks of rowing under my belt. If I train consistently and with a good program, is it realistic to think I might be able to pull sub-6:30 in a year, or am I being ridiculous? (I know that I couldn't improve my mile run time by 30+ secs in a year, for example) Thanks in advance for any input.

jays
Paddler

Post by jays » April 20th, 2009, 12:23 pm

I dont think it should be a problem,it is like anything else,the more you put in the more you get out.I have gone from 7:10 down to 6:30 within the first year.I also came from a different sporting background.The first thing you need to do is look at a few technique videos,i found them very helpfull when i first started.
Stick with it and you can achive your goals.Good luck and enjoy the erg.I do. :D
Yet i am 6'3,so taller than you.

Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Re: 2k time improvement with year of training

Post by Bob S. » April 20th, 2009, 2:34 pm

craig wrote:I am a total newbie. I am in fairly good shape from running and weightlifting, 35 yrs old, 5/11, 180lbs. I can currently row a 2k in 6:59 with about 2 weeks of rowing under my belt. If I train consistently and with a good program, is it realistic to think I might be able to pull sub-6:30 in a year, or am I being ridiculous? (I know that I couldn't improve my mile run time by 30+ secs in a year, for example) Thanks in advance for any input.
Have you had your technique checked out by some one that knows something about rowing? (Not the typical fitness center people - they are often clueless about rowing technique.) Beginners often make very rapid improvements until they begin to plateau out. For many, it is a matter of just getting into shape for the first time or after a long period of no exercise. From what you have said, that doesn't apply in your case. The other big factor is learning to row properly and that could well get you the 30 second improvement that you are looking for.

The ideal would be to get help from a coach at a local rowing club. Another approach would be to have a video made of you working out on the indoor rower - taken from the side. Then post that where it can be checked out by the members of this forum and the UK C2 forum as well. It is also helpful to checkout videos of others who have proven rowing skills and then watching your own style in a mirror on the side. That is not quite as effective as having someone else check your style. It is hard to spot your own errors. However, these demo videos can give you a good idea of what you should be striving for.

Bob S.

Shinjin
Paddler

Post by Shinjin » April 20th, 2009, 7:01 pm

Yeah, definitely! I'm a novice rower also, been rowing since early October last year, and I went from pulling a 6k in 1:50.9 in late November to a 6:39 2k as of a couple weeks ago.

I stopped rowing for a month and a half from mid-December through January, but the improvements have been constant and significant. I also come from a distance running background, and had done some weightlifting over last summer.
By all means, I think you could hit 6:30 within a year.

Markopolo400
Paddler

Post by Markopolo400 » April 20th, 2009, 7:24 pm

I went from a 7:11 last September, to a 6:29 at the beginning of January, and I haven't done a 2k since then, but I could probably be around a 6:20 now (It's been all on the water training, and lifting since then).

It can be done, you just have to want it badly enough.
100m=15.4 2k=6:25.7 6k=20:45.0