intensity and recovery technique while rowing 5,000m or more

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.

Is this a ggod training technique?

Poll ended at March 15th, 2009, 8:26 pm

Yes
No votes
No
60%
Not sure
40%

Total votes: 5

danthony930
Paddler

intensity and recovery technique while rowing 5,000m or more

Post by danthony930 » March 5th, 2009, 8:26 pm

Is it best to have a set split for intensity and recovery while rowing indoors? Yesterday, I rowed 500m (30-33sm) then 500m (26-27sm) over 5,000m. It wasn't my best time 22.24.9, but only 10 seconds off (22.14.2). Does anyone think this is a good technique?

bloomp
10k Poster

Post by bloomp » March 5th, 2009, 11:21 pm

In my opinion that's way too high of a stroke rating for a 5000m piece. You're better off settling into a 24-26 for the majority of it and picking it up for the last 1000m.

At that high of a rating, you're gonna waste energy pulling yourself up the slide that many more times. Focus on long, strong drives and using that longer recovery (from a lower stroke rating) as YOUR time to relax and get rid of the pain.

Pull hard!
24, 166lbs, 5'9

Nosmo
10k Poster

Post by Nosmo » March 6th, 2009, 2:36 pm

You started at too high a rating. Best is to do it at an even pace or get slightly faster as you along. It is OK and very common for the rating to increase a couple of spm as get tired.
What stroke rating you use depends on a lot of factors. 24-30 would be a reasonable range for almost everyone, with the vast majority doing it in the 24-27 range.

El Caballo
Paddler

Post by El Caballo » March 11th, 2009, 2:55 pm

It really depends on your goal for the row. If you're trying for the best 5000m time, then NO. If you're trying to increase your rate for shorter rows, and you haven't been rowing at a high rate, then this technique might help, but probably isn't the best. For that goal, I would do a bunch of 500m pieces alternating between hard and fast (at higher rate) with a slow easy recovery over the next 500m piece.
Bill Wakeley
U.S. Naval Academy Lightweight Crew, 1978-1981
55 yo, 6'2", ~165#
http://www.wakeley.us/rowing/new_pace_prediction.xls

excellence
Paddler

Post by excellence » March 17th, 2009, 12:38 pm

I agree with the guys, in that those are some really quick numbers. Suited better for shorter distances, where you need more power quickly. It may have been a blessing that I started doing long pieces before short ones. Just started doing 2ks/500's about 4 months ago. Before that - 5,10,15k. My log % is much better on the high distances.
I think of it as cruise control, sort of. I try to keep it even around 25, and I play with it when I want to do do some power strokes, or when I need a short paddle. I also try not to break the stride. It helps, because then it's mental. I haven't done OTW, but I have done synchronized rowing, and even though it's a longer distance, having the cadence and rhythm down is good.
At 30 or more you can 't sustain any level of fluidity.
I'm sure your time suffered every time you had to recover from those sprints. Think open highway. Part of it you open up and go (but not enough to get a ticket - obey the speed limit), and part of it you cruise at an even pace.
Ironically, despite my doing well with the long pieces, I am now trying to learn how to time out my 2k so that it's balanced, because I sometimes fly and die at certain parts. So, we have the tools, we just have to figure out how to use them.