LUNA-TICS TEAM ROOM: Year-round "Looney" fun.

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.

Can this one team row to the moon and back?

Poll ended at May 17th, 2008, 12:28 pm

I think we can do it together. I'm all in!
85%
No way! You all are wacko!
15%

Total votes: 54

bg
Half Marathon Poster

Re: LUNA-TICS TEAM ROOM: Year-round "Looney" fun.

Post by bg » March 20th, 2010, 5:56 am

oooops..i've fallen behind again...i don't always get the notice that there has been a new posting...soooooo...welcome to all the new folks and happy anniversary chris and aj and happy anything else i missed...off to do a long run today...only 13 miles...

William H
2k Poster

Post by William H » March 20th, 2010, 10:32 am

DuluthMoose wrote:
The Albion "Students" are baaaaack....

Postby Kona2 » March 19th, 2010, 7:10 pm

And the race is on......and a horse race it certainly is! Much can happen in the next few weeks!! Row a lot!!

Student 1 through Student 10 again this year. ...All rowing 200,000 meters in a week.... Anonymously..... With no year-long histories of mega-rowing in Concept's 7,500 m/d or 10,000 m/day list that would credit their conditioning.... From some kind of Correctional Facility... Hmmmm?

I TRIPLE DOG DARE
the Albion Student team leader to put at least names to their impressive rowers for the recognition they deserve! Seems all other teams list names? Otherwise I am skeptical that there are just 10 individuals!
Also interesting is that all 10 "Students" are 110 years old and they all weigh 200 kilograms ... :cry: The only name associated with that team is the team captain, and he has logged no metres at all :?

It's sad, but I have come to the conclusion that there are so many fraudulent metre entries on the boards that they are meaningless. The response from C2 is that they really don't care - so why should we?

Karyn said it best awhile ago (I can't find the post - maybe she could re-post it?), the gist of it was that we row for ourselves, not for others.

Enough of this - it's a beautiful day here and I have some erging to do :D
ROWSTRONG / RIDESTRONG

Just call me, "Wild Bill"

Kona2
Marathon Poster

WRC: Through Day Five

Post by Kona2 » March 20th, 2010, 11:05 am

Hooyah! We've rowed TWO million meters in the last five days! That's a lot of meters for the team piggy bank - well done, everyone!

There's still time to join the LunaTics Challenge Team....roster doors will close for all teams on April 1st......we've got some rowing to do!

1 Age Without Limits Virtual Club 8,826,660
2 Community Fitness Pointe of Munster, In. Health Club 4,039,033
3 Free Spirits Virtual Club 3,333,922
4 Albion Rowing Club Correctional Facility 2,142,000
5 Greenville Indoor Rowing Health Club 2,116,285
6 Keweenaw Fitness Medical Facility 2,097,843
7 LUNA-TICS Virtual Club 2,063,139 m
8 RowPro Online Virtual Club 1,977,670
9 TIMBUK2 Virtual Club 1,530,677
10 ANCIENTS Virtual Club 1,388,839

Kona2
Marathon Poster

All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 3.19.10

Post by Kona2 » March 20th, 2010, 11:51 am

Happy Spring, LunaTics Team!

We've got six more weeks (there's a rowing groundhog?!) before the 2010 rowing season ends, and lots of milestones still to celebrate!

Season meters as of 323/365 = 101,226,158 m

Total meters on the day = 274,578 m

Oars in space (participation) = 16 percent

MILESTONES....Bragging Rights.....Celebrations: Wowzer, lots of them today!

101 MM The Team !
7.3 MM William H aka Wild Bill
6.7 MM Bart
5.5 MM Will S
4.5 MM Danno
3.6 MM Baz
3.3 MM Darryl

Image Bart's posting of 50K earns a red giant
Image Will S with a 40K posting earns a full moon
Image Wild Bill with a 25K posting earns a half moon
Image Bazzy with a 25K posting earns a half moon
Image Chris with half marathon # 219, and 2K for extra measure earns a half moon.

FIVE Million Meter Watch:

Barbara with (23,232 m) to go!

TWO Million Meter Watch:

Steven L with (89,264 m) to go!

And thanks to all our crew for being LunaTics and helping us row to the moon!

Tony ImageImageImageImage m
Kelly 4,817 m
MT 5,000 m
Mary 7,256 m
Rick 10,000 m
Kenneth G 10,000 m
Steven D 10,000 m
K2 10,000 m
Danno 10,109 m
Karon 10,548 m
Ted 12,000 m
Darryl 18,418 m
Chris 23,097 m
Bazzy 25,000 m
Wild Bill 25,000 m
Will S 40,000 m
Bart 50,000 m

Have a blue sky rowing day - wherever you row!

just27
10k Poster

Post by just27 » March 20th, 2010, 1:35 pm

Also interesting is that all 10 "Students" are 110 years old and they all weigh 200 kilograms ... The only name associated with that team is the team captain, and he has logged no metres at all. It's sad, but I have come to the conclusion that there are so many fraudulent metre entries on the boards that they are meaningless. The response from C2 is that they really don't care - so why should we? Karyn said it best awhile ago ... the gist of it was that we row for ourselves, not for others. Enough of this - it's a beautiful day here and I have some erging to do.
I have a different take on this (and a vivid imagination), and see 10 burly, buff prisoners from death-row (pun intended) being permitted to work out some issues and dissipate their pent-up energy on the erg. There could be regs that disallow them from identifying themselves. Their team captain is Javier (thinking "Les Mis" here ... again with the imagination) and Prisoner 24601, et al, are the galley slaves. Their names and ages are doubtless the least of their problems.

I definitely find myself challenged by the teams just ahead and just behind us. I have to work both Saturday and Sunday of this, an unusual weekend, but will still try to row a bit each day, to help keep the team meters as competitive as possible. (That said ... why am I at my computer!?)

kgallagher
2k Poster

Re: The Challenge...

Post by kgallagher » March 20th, 2010, 1:40 pm

William H said, "Karyn said it best awhile ago (I can't find the post - maybe she could re-post it?), the gist of it was that we row for ourselves, not for others." This intrigued me as it sounds like something I would say, but couldn't recall exactly what it was. So I sorted the old posts by name and found myself and skimmed through my old posts. I think I might have found what William H. was referring to. Here's that post once again. (I wrote it on April 14, 2009)
kgallagher wrote:As I was cleaning my home office, I came across a crew folder from college. On the cover I wrote a quote that I remember getting from an ad in the USRowing magaizine circa 1990. This quote is very appropriate to the LUNA-tics achievements in the WRC and the rest of the season.

The challenge ... is from within
The opponent ... is yourself
The reward ... is private
The victory ... is having met the challenge

A salute to those who meet the challenge ... and taste the victory

I'm honored to be a part of this team and I salute you. The motivation and inspiration you have offered me made me achieve well beyond anything I could have imagined this off season. I'll be back on the water next week, so you'll hear less from me over the next 7 months or so. Good luck to all in meeting your personal goals.

Karyn
Be proud of yourself and your individual accomplishments as well as those of our team. The LUNAtics continue to inspire me to erg when I am off the water. I actually rowed for real today and it was lovely, but I'll still be erging for at least another month. Thanks William H. for encouraging me to look back at my old posts. You allowed me to revisit my own accomplishments since joining the Loonies.

Karyn

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Post by Kona2 » March 20th, 2010, 1:42 pm

Excellent Karyn! That's just the post we need! And, while we're at it, if we could just have 5000 m we're back in fifth place....I'm off to the rower!

Toothdoc
10k Poster

Post by Toothdoc » March 20th, 2010, 2:35 pm

To All,

I had my 8 week post-surgical checkup yesterday. He said everything is good and progressing ahead of schedule with range of motion, therefore no PT for me. I am now out of the splint except when I leave the house or office. I am allowed full motion that doesn't hurt but I can only pick up things that weigh less than 3 lbs. Next appt. is in 4 weeks at which time he will reassess a time when I can start rowing with the arms again. That was a little disappointing but I don't want to mess up this far into recovery.

Still Lefty

bg
Half Marathon Poster

Post by bg » March 20th, 2010, 3:05 pm

Toothdoc wrote:To All,

I had my 8 week post-surgical checkup yesterday. He said everything is good and progressing ahead of schedule with range of motion, therefore no PT for me. I am now out of the splint except when I leave the house or office. I am allowed full motion that doesn't hurt but I can only pick up things that weigh less than 3 lbs. Next appt. is in 4 weeks at which time he will reassess a time when I can start rowing with the arms again. That was a little disappointing but I don't want to mess up this far into recovery.

Still Lefty

hang in there lefty.....

Kona2
Marathon Poster

An Update: Albion Rowing Club

Post by Kona2 » March 21st, 2010, 12:58 am

Here's an important clarification on the Albion Rowing Club. I did email their team manager and ask why the names were listed as Student 1...10, and learned some good things. Under privacy rulesets, the manager cannot list personal information...not names, not ages, not weights, not gender. He relates that the rowers are all very dedicated individuals who must meet a 10K per hour rowing average, and that they have a goal of 50K a day per rower. They row five days a week, and their meters are indeed logged by logcard. The manager has been coaching teams at Albion for six years -- and they win because they are prepared and they put in the hours required for the 50K a day. They are quite legitimate rowers -- and they're winning at the challenge through a lot of good effort. If we want to best them, well, we know that their daily goal is 500K -- and we'll have to do more than that. I say good luck and good rowing to them.

BAZzy
6k Poster

Re: An Update: Albion Rowing Club

Post by BAZzy » March 21st, 2010, 4:36 am

Kona2 wrote:Here's an important clarification on the Albion Rowing Club. I did email their team manager and ask why the names were listed as Student 1...10, and learned some good things. Under privacy rulesets, the manager cannot list personal information...not names, not ages, not weights, not gender. He relates that the rowers are all very dedicated individuals who must meet a 10K per hour rowing average, and that they have a goal of 50K a day per rower. They row five days a week, and their meters are indeed logged by logcard. The manager has been coaching teams at Albion for six years -- and they win because they are prepared and they put in the hours required for the 50K a day. They are quite legitimate rowers -- and they're winning at the challenge through a lot of good effort. If we want to best them, well, we know that their daily goal is 500K -- and we'll have to do more than that. I say good luck and good rowing to them.
Thanks K2...that is a solid effort...and good luck to them.....BBB
"Those who don't think it can be done shouldn't bother the person doing it..."
www.thelandy.com

DuluthMoose
5k Poster

Post by DuluthMoose » March 21st, 2010, 7:04 am

Dan - You're mending great! Ahead of schedule on mobility; so much so you don't need PT. Gotta believe your incredible determination at adaptive rowing is paying off Big Time, even though I know you find it awkward and frustrating. When I was recovering my mobility and strength from my broken elbow many years ago I was given a 3 lb lifting limit as well. But you can get a good workout on that arm with even just a 1lb weight if you are allowed to lift with your arm extended way out to the side. But don't overdue it Dan, only 4 more weeks!

Kona2 - Albion - Impressive! Thanks for the follow-up!

William H
2k Poster

Re: An Update: Albion Rowing Club

Post by William H » March 21st, 2010, 10:17 am

Kona2 wrote:Here's an important clarification on the Albion Rowing Club. I did email their team manager and ask why the names were listed as Student 1...10, and learned some good things. Under privacy rulesets, the manager cannot list personal information...not names, not ages, not weights, not gender. He relates that the rowers are all very dedicated individuals who must meet a 10K per hour rowing average, and that they have a goal of 50K a day per rower. They row five days a week, and their meters are indeed logged by logcard. The manager has been coaching teams at Albion for six years -- and they win because they are prepared and they put in the hours required for the 50K a day. They are quite legitimate rowers -- and they're winning at the challenge through a lot of good effort. If we want to best them, well, we know that their daily goal is 500K -- and we'll have to do more than that. I say good luck and good rowing to them.
Thanks for the follow-up .. Good Luck to them.

With all that rowing, they should register as a regular team, not just for a challenge, and post their metres all year - they should do quite well in the season's Affiliation Standings :wink:
ROWSTRONG / RIDESTRONG

Just call me, "Wild Bill"

Kona2
Marathon Poster

WRC: Thru Day 6

Post by Kona2 » March 21st, 2010, 11:14 am

And in the number four spot....it's the LunaTics! Great rowing by everyone!

Welcome to new challenge teammates David T and Heli K ! And thanks, everyone, for rowing as LunaTics during this challenge! There's still time to sign on with our crew - at least until April 1st when all the team rosters will be closed to new entries.

The rowing we do today will mark the end of the first week of the challenge. It's already been well demonstrated that you don't have to be a large team to be successful in the challenge - just dedicated to putting a LOT of meters on the boards. Our participation rate is about 84 percent currently, and it would be great to get ALL of the team on the boards. Spring break beckons for many, so we may indeed see meters and participation go up in this next week!

1 Age Without Limits Virtual Club 10,481,737
2 Community Fitness Pointe of Munster, In. Health Club 4,044,433
3 Free Spirits Virtual Club 3,643,342
4 LUNA-TICS Virtual Club 2,408,284 m 57 crew members
5 RowPro Online Virtual Club 2,283,139
6 Greenville Indoor Rowing Health Club 2,252,921
7 Keweenaw Fitness Medical Facility 2,219,902
8 Albion Rowing Club Correctional Facility 2,142,000
9 TIMBUK2 Virtual Club 1,870,299
10 A. E. Riesen Fitness First Corporate Fitness Center 1,787,948

Keep your eyes on the sky! There's a lot happening around us as we row towards the moon! Here's a short article cut and pasted from today's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette about viewing Saturn tonight. And, later this week, you'll be able to get a pretty good view of Saturn's largest moon, Titan, through a small telescope. Planetarium anyone?

StarGazing: Saturn in opposition
Monday, March 15, 2010
By Dan Malerbo, Buhl Planetarium and Observatory

On March 21, the sun and Saturn will be on opposite sides of the sky. Astronomers call this "opposition." The ring world will rise in the east around sunset, appear high in the south at midnight, and set around dawn. During opposition, Saturn appears at its biggest and shines at its brightest for the year.

Stargazers can get their best view of the ring world now because Earth and Saturn are as close as they will get to each other all year, about 790 million miles apart.

Saturn will only shine at 0.51 magnitude this year. That's almost a full magnitude dimmer than maximum. This decrease in brightness is because the planet's rings are nearly edge-on, with a tilt of only 3 degrees.

To locate Saturn, step outside around 10 p.m. and face east-southeast. The ringed planet will sit almost 25 degrees above the horizon in Virgo. The best telescopic view of Saturn, however, is around midnight, when the planet is high above the horizon's distorting atmosphere.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10074/10 ... z0ip3QseSk

Kona2
Marathon Poster

All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 3.20.10

Post by Kona2 » March 21st, 2010, 12:09 pm

Image The Madness Continues for 22 LunaTics!!

Season meters as of 324/365 = 103,433,151 m

Total meters on the day = 2,206,993 m (thanks to new teammate David T)

Oars in space (participation) = 23 percent

MILESTONES....Bragging Rights....Celebrations:

103 MM The Team!
102 MM The Team! (Can't just skip over such a biggie!)
5.4 MM Chris
1.8 MM David T
200K Nancy J

Image A mega-moon posting by David T as he joins the team with 1,832,000 m.
Image A mega-moon update by Nancy J with 96,886 m added
Image Chris, aka Image, with half marathon # 220...and a victory lap of some extra meters for 25,123 m
Image Wild Bill with 25,000 m earns a half moon
Image Will S, our man in Iraq, with 23,000 m earns a half moon

FIVE Million Meter Watch:

Barbara with (23,232 m) to go! Will today be the day?! Or is it a recovery day from yesterday's long run?

And the pot o'gold goes to all of today's crew for moving us closer to the moon! Image

Tony ImageImageImageImage m
K2 5,000 m
MT 5,000 m
Peter G 5,500 m
Tracy 5,680 m
Gina 7,000 m
Mary 7,280 m
Kenneth G 10,000 m
Steven D 10,000 m
Steven L 10,000 m
Peter H 10,000 m
Jim 10,000 m
Karon 10,788 m ...quietly stepping up that meter count!
Ted 12,000 m
Image Andre 12,538 m
Danno aka Lefty 12,776 m
Mitch 14,004 m
Baz 15,656 m
Darryl 18,429 m ...good row!
Mike C 20,000 m
Will S 23,000 m
Image Wild Bill 25,000 m
Chris 25,123 m
Nancy 96,886 m
David T 1,832,000 m

Wishing you blue skies wherever you row!