LUNA-TICS TEAM ROOM: Year-round "Looney" fun.

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.

Can this one team row to the moon and back?

Poll ended at May 17th, 2008, 12:28 pm

I think we can do it together. I'm all in!
85%
No way! You all are wacko!
15%

Total votes: 54

Toothdoc
10k Poster

Re: Whoa....another supernova....

Post by Toothdoc » July 13th, 2009, 5:29 am

Kona2 wrote:
Congratulations to our team legend Kiba.....she of the 100K days.....amazing!
Holy Cow!!!!

toothdoc

William H
2k Poster

Post by William H » July 13th, 2009, 5:37 am

Kona2 wrote:100K....a supernova or dual red giants?

Image Image

The crew waits patiently while Kiba catches a few zzzzzs to hear of what nutritional fuel she utilized in this effort.....could certainly have been a Kiba pizza, followed by her special million metre cupcakes....
WOW!!

Just ... WOW!!

Sensational rowing, Kiba :D

Kiba
1k Poster

Post by Kiba » July 13th, 2009, 7:46 am

Thanks guys :P! I like the super nova picture!

It was kind of funny, half the reason I did it was because it seemed all lucky (the other half(s) of course being that we're almost halfway to the moon, and I needed a good occasion to watch the Moose home DVD). I'd been thinking about it all week, because I could start with 1.5 MM which is nice and round, and then row exactly 100, 000 m, which is especially round, and then end at 1.6 MM which is still round..

But then my season total on the honour boards, divided by the number of days, would be just the right amount the have 8 MM exactly as the projected annual total.. Which I really wanted to see.. but then by the time i was finished I was in the strange dilemma, where I definitely couldn't go to bed without a shower.. but I was too tired to stay up and take a shower..

So in all that I forgot to look at the boards and take neccesary screen shots..

I think the anomaly where I can get a perfect 8 MM as a projected annual value by rowing multiples of 10 000m will happen 4 more times this year, so it's alright, but it's still funny that I forgot to look.

As far as nutrition goes, Kiba Pizza and MM cupcakes are definitely involved :D! I think on the more practical side, I have these special juice boxes, they're the little "Del Monte" juice pouches. They come in a box of ten, so then I had 2 boxes for the occasion, and so every 5000 m I'd have a juice box. I like them because they give you sugar, but you don't really have to digest much. I managed to do most of the row in the midst of a sugar rush doing it in 5000m intervals with a 9 minute rest. It went a lot better than last time where I got really tired in the last 25 km, this time I felt pretty good right up until the last 2989 m, I had to stop to make a new workout so that I'd end at exactly 100 000m, only then I got super tired from stopping. Once I started again it was fine.

My time for it was almost really good. I kept all my rowing under 3:00/500m which sounds slow, but that's not too bad for me, and I kept it up for the entire row. After 25 km I decided to get some lunch, and then decided I wasn't going to finish, but then a few hours later I decided I was going to finish after all, but I lost a few hours to sitting around the house..

Kona2
Marathon Poster

All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 7.12.09

Post by Kona2 » July 13th, 2009, 9:38 am

Fortunately, we have evolved....although the badminton birdie eye pieces do present some opportunities for duplicating this early space goggle effort....
We've got less than 500K to the midway point, spacers! Half moons and a supernova :shock: flared in the sky over our Luna-Tic rowing universe yesterday! Great rowing, team! We've passed the EIGHTEEN million meter mark!

Distance to the halfway point in our moon journey = 491,438 m

Season meters as of 73/365 = 18,152,020 m

Total meters on the day = 318,432 m

Oars in space = 30 percent

MILESTONES....Bragging Rights....Celebrations:

1.6 MM Kiba
Image Supernova #2 on the year....Kiba (birthday twin to AJ)
Image Half Marathon # 51 by Image
Image Barbara (birthday twin to Chris) with half marathon # 5
Image Wild Bill with 36,000 m draws another half moon plus some
Image Nancy with a superb update and maybe a half moon with 22,808 m

FYI....for those new to the team:

RE: Half moons, full moons, red giants and supernovas

Half moon = half marathon distance, perhaps not rowed all at once. If the distance is 21,097 (half marathon or half moon) or 42,195 (full marathon or full moon), 50,000 (red giant) or 100,000 (supernova) m astrogator Kona2 assumes half marathon, full marathon, red giant or supernova. These are designated with appropriate moon or star phase.

RE: The birthday bit

This all has to do with the birthday statistics in a random group of people. The size of our team suggests that we have a pretty good probability of having matching birthdays for at least two sets of people. We have four matching sets....that we know about. Today, for example, we have birthday twins Karyn G and Andrea C (not signed on yet for this rowing year)! We honor requests that we not post a celebration for those who don't want to have one....but we delight in celebrating our milestones and statistics! Send me a PM with your birthdate (month and date all that is needed), and we'll continue to identify matches.....

And thanks to today's lunar crew for moving us forward:

Kiba 100,000 m ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage x 2
Wild Bill 36,000 m
Nancy 22,808 m
Barbara 21,121 m
Chris 21,097 m
Ted 18,000 m
Gina 16,901 m (an inspired row!)
Tim 14,605 m
David TG 12,850 m
Peter H 12,345 m
Dave H 10,000 m
Steven 10,000 m
Bazzy 8,214 m (and congratulations on your first ever half marathon yesterday!) Image
Peter G 6,000 m
Jim 5,900 m
Voodoogirl Laurie 2,591 m

And happy birthday to Andrea C and Karyn G!
Image Image

acrewer
2k Poster

Post by acrewer » July 13th, 2009, 11:56 am

not quite so inspired, K2, 9K was on Friday and the balance on Sunday. However I did hit a PB for a 30 min piece on Sunday, I increased the distance by 92m and the last 6 min split was at 2:07/500m.

Having rowed on the water, I have a hard time with stopping and restarting a workout. On the water you can't quit, period. You're in a boat in the middle of a river or a lake, whatever your workout or race is, you will finish - one has to somehow return to the dock! And after you get out of the shell, wash it and put it away, no way are you going to get back in it and row some more! So major KUDOs to KIBA for rowing all day long.

In addition to being capsize resistant and crab-free, one of the major benefits of rowing on an erg is never having to wash the salt water off!

Gina

Kona2
Marathon Poster

It's a pirate's life for me!

Post by Kona2 » July 13th, 2009, 12:53 pm

acrewer wrote: However I did hit a PB for a 30 min piece on Sunday, I increased the distance by 92m and the last 6 min split was at 2:07/500m.

In addition to being capsize resistant and crab-free, one of the major benefits of rowing on an erg is never having to wash the salt water off!

Gina
Woohoo on the PB! PBs are indeed inspirational...or we wouldn't try to get them! Good rowing, Gina!

And let's hear it for the benefits of rowing on an erg! You also don't get rained on or get flat tires!

By the way, Tom P of last year's team has posted a topic under the team's section about learning to scull......on the water meters are gaining in popularity....and sometimes in the water meters....

Kiba
1k Poster

Post by Kiba » July 13th, 2009, 2:56 pm

Yay Gina! For your PB

Other benefits of rowing indoors..
the bathroom is never more than 30 seconds away..
sunburns are unlikely..
TV!

I haven't been on the water since last spring when our canoe hit a tree and broke in half and.. well.. now we don't have a canoe :P

I've only ever "rowed" in my grandparents great big old rowboat. It's the kind you'd expect to see a dog and a picnic in.

just27
10k Poster

Happy happy ...

Post by just27 » July 13th, 2009, 5:47 pm

Kona2 wrote:And happy birthday to Andrea C and Karyn G!

BAZzy
6k Poster

Post by BAZzy » July 13th, 2009, 7:24 pm

William H wrote:
Kona2 wrote:100K....a supernova or dual red giants?

Image Image

The crew waits patiently while Kiba catches a few zzzzzs to hear of what nutritional fuel she utilized in this effort.....could certainly have been a Kiba pizza, followed by her special million metre cupcakes....
WOW!!

Just ... WOW!!

Sensational rowing, Kiba :D
Yikes....Kiba! They'll be bottling those pizza's soon and exporting them to the rowing community!

Long distance anything is hard work so congratulations to you.....
"Those who don't think it can be done shouldn't bother the person doing it..."
www.thelandy.com

andreacs
2k Poster

Re: Happy happy ...

Post by andreacs » July 14th, 2009, 3:40 am

just27 wrote:
Thanks so much for the wishes and for not forgetting me, while I strayed from the C2.

I promise to get "back on the boat" ASAP.
How can stay away from such a nice LUNA-TIC crew!?

Happy rowing!

Andrea

bg
Half Marathon Poster

Post by bg » July 14th, 2009, 6:55 am

just27 wrote:

happy birthday andrea and karyn...and wow kiba and yeah gina......wooo hooooo

Toothdoc
10k Poster

Post by Toothdoc » July 14th, 2009, 7:32 am

bg wrote:
just27 wrote:
Happy birthday Karyn and Andrea. I hope day is a much fun as mine was.

toothdoc

Kona2
Marathon Poster

All In A Day's ERG: Will be delayed this AM

Post by Kona2 » July 14th, 2009, 9:57 am

We have a Red Giant on the horizon....blazing there in the light of two half moons! Gina has hit her 400K milestone!

Details to follow.....I have a class today from 9 to 4.....did want to call out a few milestones to watch for later!

K2

just27
10k Poster

Log Card Error

Post by just27 » July 14th, 2009, 2:13 pm

Has anyone worn out a log card? I got an error message last night on the PM3 that had me downloading and launching the latest version of the C2 utility at midnight ... to no avail. I'm waiting for an answer from the Vermont Mothership before I go ahead and order a new log card ... but, what it I row a new world or inter-galactic ranking record in the meantime ... with no verification! (Well, okay, I'll just find other highly unlikely things to concern myself with.)

Toothdoc
10k Poster

Re: Log Card Error

Post by Toothdoc » July 14th, 2009, 2:44 pm

just27 wrote:Has anyone worn out a log card? I got an error message last night on the PM3 that had me downloading and launching the latest version of the C2 utility at midnight ... to no avail. I'm waiting for an answer from the Vermont Mothership before I go ahead and order a new log card ... but, what it I row a new world or inter-galactic ranking record in the meantime ... with no verification! (Well, okay, I'll just find other highly unlikely things to concern myself with.)

Just27,

You better get your tin foil hat on, the black helicopters are around. My PM4 monitor when south last night also. The mothership told me to backup the card to a computer file and then run the rebuild or overwrite utility. I have yet to do that. I'll let you know what happens.

dc