LUNA-TICS TEAM ROOM: Year-round "Looney" fun.

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.

Can this one team row to the moon and back?

Poll ended at May 17th, 2008, 12:28 pm

I think we can do it together. I'm all in!
85%
No way! You all are wacko!
15%

Total votes: 54

Toothdoc
10k Poster

Re: Fuel for Marathons

Post by Toothdoc » April 19th, 2009, 9:35 pm

BAZzy wrote:
Baz,

Thanks for the URL very good info. I could have used that yesterday, before and during my Marathon endeavor. I think it was the Leprechauns who were messing with your damper setting, don't feel guilty about going on holiday.

Hope you had a great holiday.

dc

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Congrats to Rick - Half Marathon!

Post by Kona2 » April 19th, 2009, 11:39 pm

Another crew member has signed on to the Global Marathon Challenge Honor Board!

Congratulations, Rick, on your half marathon! Great rowing!

Toothdoc
10k Poster

Re: Congrats to Rick - Half Marathon!

Post by Toothdoc » April 20th, 2009, 5:13 am

Kona2 wrote:Image

Another crew member has signed on to the Global Marathon Challenge Honor Board!

Congratulations, Rick, on your half marathon! Great rowing!
Atta boy Rick

dc

Kona2
Marathon Poster

All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 4.19.09

Post by Kona2 » April 20th, 2009, 10:02 am

Two half moons on the horizon of our Luna-Tic rowing universe today! There is still time to row onto the Global Marathon Challenge Honor Board!

Many crew members currently researching hydration impacts on rowing and recovery times. Chris lining up 27 varieties of sport drinks for crew to taste test following input from Aussie team mates on impacts of flavor on drinkability.

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Season meters as of 354/365 = 82,611,284 m

Total meters on the day = 104,443 m :shock:

Oars in space = 14 percent

Image Crew taking well deserved rest? Search the beaches! Wild Bill may be in one of these chairs...

MILESTONES....Bragging Rights....Celebrations:

Image Half Marathon # 10 Peter H (Nice work with the back to back half marathons!)
Image Half Marathon # 2 (as a Luna-Tic) Rick

SIX Million Meter Watch:

Dan with (29,249 m) to go!

TWO Million Meter Watch: Getting Closer To Goal !

ONE Million Meter Watch:

Rick with (113,364 m) to go!

Tom P with (97,500 m) to go!

Thanks to today's crew - keeping us moving forward towards destination moon!

Rick C 21,097 m
Peter H 21,097 m
Dan 11,118 m
Steven 10,000 m
Baz 8,635 m (having discovered that leprechauns changed the erg damper setting, he joins them for a beer in a nearby pub)
Terry M 8,331 m (good rowing!)
Chris 7,027 m (following back to back half marathons, she does a few victory laps and the PM monitor lands on ....27!)
Lilia 6,000 m
Jan 5,805 m
Tony III...III...III...III m
Peter G 2,000 m

Image Well done everyone!

Rick C
Paddler

Half marathons

Post by Rick C » April 20th, 2009, 10:16 am

I don't know how so many of you seem to be able to rip off halfs and fulls and red giants. I have to find a way to stay comfortable on the seat! I get to about 1:15 and I spend the next 20 minutes or so shifting around trying to stay even a little bit comfortable.
Fortunately(unfortunately?), I don't have to worry about doing any longer rows than a half. I row at our local YMCA, and they only have two Concept 2's available. There is not a lot of demand for them, but I hate to tie one of them up even for the time required to do a half. I have put up a couple of small signs informing people of the Concept 2 website, but I don't know of anyone else that ergs regularly. I started when my daughter was on the crew team at Worcester Polytech in 2001, but didn't sign up on the website until Sept 2004. Thanks for the opportunity to join the LUNA-TICS! My daughter is now a Ph.D. student in astronomy at Boston U, so she appreciates our efforts!

William H
2k Poster

Re: All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 4.19.09

Post by William H » April 20th, 2009, 10:27 am

Kona2 wrote:
Image Crew taking well deserved rest? Search the beaches! Wild Bill may be in one of these chairs...

Image Well done everyone!
Well ... I realized yesterday that I just don't have enough in the old tank to make 6 million meters for the season :cry:

So ... I was, indeed, in one of those chairs dreaming of BaliHa'i:

Now, with batteries more or less recharged, my plan is to finish out the season with some reasonable erging and attack next season with renewed vim and vigor :D

BTW, can we use this logo?

It is very cool - hadn't noticed it before ...

Belated congratulations to all the HM's, FM's, Half Moons, Full Moons and Red Giants - we are surrounded by Superstars!

just27
10k Poster

Post by just27 » April 20th, 2009, 12:12 pm

William H wrote: BTW, can we use this logo?

It is very cool - hadn't noticed it before ...
Re the logo ... I just pulled a graphic off the web and quickly changed it in Photoshop ... but I don't remember the source document. I think it's okay to use ... but perhaps I should do something totally original!

Chris T

Kristine Strasburger
10k Poster

Re: Fuel for Marathons

Post by Kristine Strasburger » April 20th, 2009, 1:13 pm

just27 wrote:Kristine's post got me to thinking about fuel (and trying to imagine eating 6 bananas :shock: ) and what works for different people. When I did a FM earlier this year, I simply had extra filtered water and Pelligrino (for the salt) water on hand. (But I'm usually pretty well carbo-loaded and protein-loaded at any given time!) Rowing for 3 - 6 hours in one sitting is way different than the sum of various sessions throughout the day ... what should one be tracking for these long-single workouts?ct
Chris, I apply the same strategy to the long rowing sessions that I have found works well for me in the running marathons.

Lots of water. I tend to stay away from the sports drinks unless I am really sweating, and then I alternate water and drink. I gauge my water intake based on how much I need to stop and go pee. If I need to stop and go about every 20-30 minutes then I know I am drinking enough water. The clearer the better - another way to monitor dehydration - more critical for running a marathon outdoors than rowing indoors, but still something to look for.

Bananas - my perfect "eat while exercising" food - I eat a small banana at the rate of about one per 45 minutes of exercise. Goes well with a variety of other carb foods like gummi bears, pita chips, any non-greasy baked item, which I have a few bites of with the banana.

One of the most important bits of advice I can give from experience is that you want to eat a bit of carb food before you really need it. So, I have a bagel about 45 min. before the exercise, then eat some carbs about every 40-45 min. during the exercise, and then when done eat one last carb snack to get me through the shower, and then have a high-protien meal, and take a long nap. A recovery drink right after the exercise is very good, but I rarely seem to have one on hand.

Eating the carbs in small quantities before feeling the need for food will prevent your "hitting the wall", a term used to describe the body's total depletion of energy reserves, and a point which is hard to recover from while continuting the exercise.

I do find that it is hard to get the food down if I am really pushing myself hard during an endurance event, but it is an absolute must to keep from hitting the wall. This is where people find that different foods work best for them. Gells and honey make me about want to about puke, but bananas, gummi bears and crackers go down fine.

I have never actually rowed hard enough for long enough to duplicate the marathon running experience where this is an issue, but I imagine you would need to adapt your eating some due to the constant ab contractions you have with rowing that you don't have with running.

Also, I don't recommend trying to eat while on the rower. Take a bite to eat when you get up to use the bathroom. You don't want to inhale your food, and choke.
☆~Kristine~☆

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Recovery drinks

Post by Kona2 » April 20th, 2009, 1:16 pm

Surprisingly, one of the most common recovery drinks we get when we cross the finish line on bike events is chocolate milk. It's got the right balance of materials!

just27
10k Poster

Re: Recovery drinks

Post by just27 » April 20th, 2009, 1:20 pm

Kona2 wrote:Surprisingly, one of the most common recovery drinks we get when we cross the finish line on bike events is chocolate milk. It's got the right balance of materials!
Chocolate milk AND gummi bears ... now I know why this is the right exercise regime for me!

ct

Rick C
Paddler

Post by Rick C » April 20th, 2009, 2:56 pm

I like something I have used during bike races: Clif Shot Blocks. They are similar to gummy bears, but bigger, in the shape of a cube a little less than 2 cm on a side. You don't have to chew them, just let them dissolve. Each one lasts 5-10 minutes that way, then have a drink of water. They come in packs of 6 blocks, all with 100 calories per 3 blocks. Two of the flavors, black cherry and cola, also have 50 mg of caffeine. I like both of those, and cran-razz, which has no caffeine. There is also a margarita flavor with extra sodium, but no caffeine; orange, with 25 mg of caffeine; and lemon-lime, mountain berry, and strawberry, which just have the calories - I have not tried any of these. I hope I punctuated this correctly - I am reading "Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation" right now, and I want to get it right!

just27
10k Poster

Grammar Shots

Post by just27 » April 20th, 2009, 3:21 pm

Rick C wrote: I am reading "Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation" right now, and I want to get it right!
As a Brit who grew up in Oz and now lives in the US, I found that book confused me even more than my basic state of grammar-spelling bamboozlement.

(Aren't those shot blocks supposed to include Tequila or Vodka?)

ct

BAZzy
6k Poster

Post by BAZzy » April 20th, 2009, 8:09 pm

Baz 8,635 m (having discovered that leprechauns changed the erg damper setting, he joins them for a beer in a nearby pub)

True, but how else was I to find out how to change it back...a few pints later......back on it last night and this morning and it feels much better... :lol:

BTW congratulations to all on the FM/HM

Cheers Baz
"Those who don't think it can be done shouldn't bother the person doing it..."
www.thelandy.com

Kona2
Marathon Poster

BG participates in Boston Marathon

Post by Kona2 » April 21st, 2009, 12:46 am

Congratulations to Barbara G (bg) for your participation in the Boston Marathon again this year! Hope the Run for Research team did well !

bg
Half Marathon Poster

Post by bg » April 21st, 2009, 3:53 am

thanks....the team did well...i however had a very long, slow day out there.....the colitis really messed up my training, but i did finish.....hoping to get a on the erg by thursday...want to get to that two million...needless to say a full or half marathon rowing is not in my future right now...i am in awe of those of you who are doing them