TimbukTOO Team Room

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.
PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » May 8th, 2009, 10:17 pm

Summer Sweeps
June, July and August

The Details
■Row 5000 meters as many days as you can during the months of June, July and August.
■On ten randomly selected days throughout the months of June, July and August we will draw a winner’s name from everyone who rows at least 5000 meters that day.
■Meters must be entered online.
■This is an individual challenge. (You do not need to belong to a team to participate.)
■Both indoor rower and water meters count.
Who Can Participate
Anyone with an online logbook at concept2.com can participate in this challenge.

Incentives and Rewards
Keep your online logbooks up-to-date to be included in the drawings! Winners’ names will be posted on the Summer Sweeps Honors Board. The more days you row at least 5000 meters, the more chances you’ll have to win a T-shirt or rowing shorts!

GO TEAM!!!

Pat
B)
[img]http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/lockaroundmyheart/Not%20Real%20Pictures/Animations/diddle-1.gif[/img]

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » May 8th, 2009, 11:31 pm

FRIDAY May 8th, 2009

With 15 Rowers in the boat
ImageImageImageImageImage

#18 in the overall rankings( out of 630 teams)

528,422 meters for the season to date
28,422meters for the day

CHUCK...7,500 metersImage
PAUL...6,450 meters
SHERYL...5,000 meters
ALISON...4,442meters
ANDREW..3,030 meters
PATTI...2,000 meters

GO TEAM!!!!!Image

”There ain’t no rules here. We’re trying to accomplish something.”
- Thomas Edison

You need to be aware of what others are doing, applaud their efforts, acknowledge their successes, and encourage them in their pursuits. When we all help one another, everybody wins.”
Pat
B)
[img]http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/lockaroundmyheart/Not%20Real%20Pictures/Animations/diddle-1.gif[/img]

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » May 10th, 2009, 12:05 am

SATURDAY May 9th, 2009

#19 in the overall rankings( out of 630 teams)

605,785 meters for the season to date
77,363 meters for the day

LINDA...20,140 metersImage
PAT...11,664 meters
LAURA...10,475 meters
CHUCK....10,000meters
SUSAN..6,318 meters
PAUL...5,750 meters
ALISON...5,266 meters
ANDREW...4,250 meters
SHERYL...2,000 meters
PATTI...1,500 meters

GO TEAM!!!!!Image

- Thomas Edison

You need to be aware of what others are doing, applaud their efforts, acknowledge their successes, and encourage them in their pursuits. When we all help one another, everybody wins.”
Pat
B)

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » May 10th, 2009, 12:07 am

To all rowing moms!!!

Pat
B)

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » May 11th, 2009, 12:06 am

SUNDAY May 10th, 2009

#19 in the overall rankings( out of 630 teams)

625,356 meters for the season to date
19,571 meters for the day

LAURA...13,321 metersImageImage

SHERYL...6,250 meters

GO TEAM!!!!!Image

- Thomas Edison

Pat
B)

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » May 11th, 2009, 2:39 pm

GO TEAM!!!!

Over 700,000 meters ..way to row!!!!!!!

Pat

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » May 11th, 2009, 4:27 pm

ImageHello Team!!!

Reminder:
Just a message to you..a tad bit early but I want to keep you informed.

As I read thru the Concept2 site and looked thru the team sections..I noticed that the next team Challenge has been made available for us.

9/15 to 10/15 2009 is the Fall Rowing Challenge.
You can sign up now..or wait but it is there for us.
All Challenges now need to be signed up for ..you may be a Timbuk2-ian for the Challenges but a committment to each challenge has to be made.

Time goes by too fast as it is..I don't mean to rush the year.

Have fun..row strong..make your goals and try to accomplish them.
No rules here..no pressures..just great motivation and fun!!

I need your motivation this season..I am getting a great sense of motivation from the team already.Great rowing!!!

Pat
B)

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » May 11th, 2009, 6:41 pm

Team TimbukTOO now has 16 rowers in the boat

Bernie has joined us in our rowing adventure for the season!!

Pat & Crew
B)

HiAltRowgal
1k Poster

Post by HiAltRowgal » May 11th, 2009, 8:58 pm

I was glad to see the details for the Summer Sweeps individual challenge. Thanks, Pat! I need all of the motivational tools that I can lay my hands on.

Still working to make up the meters I lost last week when I had to miss a day. I know that I can't stay on the 10,000 meter board all season, but I had hoped I'd be there for at least a few weeks!

A funny (sort of) story regarding my damper setting... Due to the injuries I've had in my left shoulder & upper arm muscle, my damper has been set at about 4. I row pretty slowly, but over the weekend, I had a terrible time getting my times down to the normal point for the intervals. I thought I was just tired from a pretty hard week at work. THEN I finally noticed that while watering our seedlings (right next to the rowing machine), my husband had knocked the damper up 3 notches! To some, that may not be much, but to me, it made an incredible difference!

Does anyone else have any comments about their rowing & goals so far for the season?

~Linda

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » May 12th, 2009, 12:58 am

MONDAY May 11th, 2009

Team TimbukTOO now has 16 rowers in the boat

#18 in the overall rankings( out of 678 teams)

770,759 meters for the season to date
145,403 meters for the day

BRYAN...30,000ImageImage
LINDA...20,467 meters
BERNIE...14,037 meters
ANDREW...11,155 meters
KATHY...10,855 meters
RAY...10,581 meters
SUSAN...8,511 meters
PAT...8,111 meters
SHERYL...7,500 meters
CHUCK...7,500 meters
PAUL...6,000 meters
PATTI...5,520 meters
ALISON...5,166 meters

GO TEAM!!!!!Image

- Thomas Edison

Pat
B)

GetSet2Go
Paddler

Post by GetSet2Go » May 12th, 2009, 1:20 am

HiAltRowgal wrote:I was glad to see the details for the Summer Sweeps individual challenge. Thanks, Pat! I need all of the motivational tools that I can lay my hands on.

... THEN I finally noticed that while watering our seedlings (right next to the rowing machine), my husband had knocked the damper up 3 notches! To some, that may not be much, but to me, it made an incredible difference!

Does anyone else have any comments about their rowing & goals so far for the season?

~Linda

Hi There :D
It would have made than a difference to me, I think I may have died in the efforts :shock:

As for my goals: I'm so new to the whole thing that my first goal was to figure out what on earth 'damper' and 'drag' meant! Sounded like a double act in a cheap bar to me. Having got that sorted out a few weeks ago I was dismayed to find here is yet another thing being very short is a disadvantage for :roll: But seeing as I don't imagine I'm going to row for New Zealand any day soon I'll not lose sleep over it.
My goals, simply, to get on the erg and row whilst keeping an eye on split time thingy stuff. I'm not very techincal B) My overall goal is to row a marathon next April. At the moment I'm trying to decide if I should train with a program- see the not very technical comment- or just build up my time.
I'm having two days off at the moment as I'm fighting off a cold. It's hard to miss out on the meters but I figure I'm in this for the long haul.

That's me!
Laura

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » May 12th, 2009, 10:57 am

Hello Team!!!

It is early in the season..we try to set goals and always wonder what goals others have made.Part of our motivation quest.

We don't consider ourselves athletes..at least I don't consider myself as being one :D .However..in a way we are actually athletes and we train like many do.

I found this article that may just help us to out goals into perspective and even though they are addressing athletes..they could work for us..athletes in our own right!!

Athlete Motivation for Goal Setting
Before you start your goal setting, you should set the background of sports goal setting by:

•Understanding your commitment to the sport..in this case rowing

•Understanding the level you want to reach within the sport ...your individual level of fitness

•Knowing the skills that will have to be acquired
and the levels of performance that will be needed...your form and technique

•Know where this will fit into your overall life goals

General Guidelines:

•Positive Statement: express your goals positively: 'To execute this technique perfectly' is a much better goal than 'don't make this stupid mistake'

•Be Precise: If you set a precise goal, putting in dates, times and amounts so that achievement can be measured, then you know the exact goal to be achieved, and can take complete satisfaction from having completely achieved it.

•Set Priorities: Where you have several goals, give each a priority. This helps you to avoid feeling overwhelmed by too many goals, and helps to direct your attention to the most important ones.

•Write goals down to avoid confusion and give them more force.

•Keep Operational Goals Small: Keep the goals you are working towards immediately (i.e. in this season) small and achievable. If a goal is too large, then it can seem that you are not making progress towards it. Keeping goals small and incremental gives more opportunities for reward. Today's goals should be derived from larger goals.

Pretty basic I thought , but this may help us all.. or even if it only reaches a few of us...to set goals and make them reachable/attainable.

Pat
B)

HiAltRowgal
1k Poster

Post by HiAltRowgal » May 12th, 2009, 1:37 pm

Hi Laura,

It's great to have you and other new team members on the 2010 boat! I'm glad to see so many returning members, too!

You're not alone regarding the technical part of rowing, and I've been rowing for a number of years.

I started at the gym when my young boys were training for sports. Then I started doing the holiday challenge (Thanksgiving through Christmas Eve). I always lost weight over the holidays! I didn't start rowing regularly until a few years ago. The new challenges are making it more interesting.

The rowing is keeping my weight maintained, but I don't seem to row hard enough to lose weight. When I make time to add some free weight workouts to my exercise program, then I start seeing my body fat decrease and my weight decreases slowly. Other activities beyond the rowing have taken a back seat for now, though, especially since I want to get back to the 10,000 daily meter board, at least for a short time in the beginning of this new season.

Pat, what kind of specific advice can you give Laura about training for the marathon? I have no idea and have a hard time thinking about such a long row!

~Linda

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » May 12th, 2009, 3:07 pm

Training For A Marathon
The Individual Marathon distance is 42,195 meters. The Half Marathon distance is 21,097 meters.

Dates in parentheses are a suggested timetable if you are planning to participate in the Global Marathon Challenge in late April every year.

Training
Basic Groundwork
The 10,000 meter row. You should complete at least ten 10,000 meter rows over the course of a month or two, before you move on to longer training pieces. (January–February)

Building Up
Next, complete four one-hour rows and then two 20,000 meter efforts spread out over a 4 week period. Any of these rows can be completed in an interval or repetition format to make them more interesting and varied. For example, a 60 minute row can be divided up by rowing at a moderate pace for 2:30, then rowing easy for :30, and repeating this pattern. Or 20,000 meters can be done by rowing 500 meters @22 spm, 300 meters @24 spm, 200 meters @26 spm and repeating this sequence 20 times. In these longer rows, try drinking and eating a little, to see how it goes, and what tastes good and settles well. (March)

In Between the Long Rows
When you are not doing one of the longer rows in training you should be working for about 30–45 minutes, with a variety of workouts to keep the rowing lively and fresh.

Testing for Comfort
Do one 30,000 meter row 10–12 days before your marathon to alert you to any issues that must be addressed before you try the 42,195. This will give you a chance to see how well your hands and seat will do for the long haul. You should also use this longer row to test the foods and drinks that you plan to use during your marathon effort. (early April)

Taking Care of Yourself
You should always do this, but it is especially important before a marathon:

■Stay well hydrated.
■Listen to your body as to when to rest.
■Consider rowing at different times of the day to increase the amount of time between certain workouts, for example, 7 am Tuesday and 5 pm Wednesday.
■Keep track of your training and resting heart rate. If either increase away from the norm over a three-day period, the body is saying it needs rest or sickness may be around the corner.

Pacing
Pay attention to your pace as you train for the marathon. Be careful NOT to start out too hard! It always feels great when you start—especially if you are excited. However, it is important that you start at a pace that you know you will be able to maintain.

If you can row 2000 meters around 7:00 (a 1:45–1:50 pace), you should be able to row the marathon in under 3 hours—if your body and mind can tolerate the effort for that long.

If your training pace is more like 2:15–2:20, expect your marathon to take 3:15 or longer.

Rowing a marathon is about staying focused, knowing the training is there to complete it and staying positive when the little aches and pains arise.

Comfort
Throughout your marathon preparation, pay attention to all of the following things. Be sure you know how to make yourself comfortable on the rower.

■Damper setting/drag factor: It is important to know not just the damper setting, but the drag factor at which you are most comfortable rowing. View more information about drag factor.
■Seat: We find that variety is the key for seat comfort on long rows. Have a seat pad handy (call us for a free pad—sorry, US and Canada only) and several sheets of "bubble wrap." Bubble wrap works great for us!
■Foot height: Be sure you know the most comfortable foot height setting for you.
■Hands: We don't use gloves, but some people swear by them. If you plan to use them, be sure to test them by using them throughout your training as well. If your hands are pretty tough, but you're worried about getting some "hot spots," we again recommend keeping some pieces of bubble wrap handy. If you feel any hot spots, grab a piece and wrap it around the handle. It will offer a break from the friction.
■Sweat and other bodily fluids: Have a towel handy for drying hands and face. Have tissues handy in case you need to blow your nose. Know how to find the closest bathroom in case you end up being too well-hydrated!
■Stretch breaks: Sometimes a brief stretch break can really help. Try this and see if it works for you. The Performance Monitor will shut down automatically after a couple of minutes of inactivity, so be sure to keep your breaks short or keep pressing the "Change Display" button to keep the monitor alive.

Final Words of Advice
Enjoy this challenging event. If it gets so it's not fun—focus on achieving a half-marathon instead.

You don't have to race the marathon—it's enough of an achievement just to finish it!

If your first attempt is not successful—try it again another time.

GOOD LUCK!

This is the way Concept2 advises us to ready ourselves for a marathon or half marathon.
It depends on what level we are at in fitness and in health.

Let me know if more help is needed.

Pat
B)

GetSet2Go
Paddler

Post by GetSet2Go » May 12th, 2009, 7:14 pm

Hi Pat & Linda :)
Thanks so much for your support and information. I'm going to sit down with a cup of tea and think about it all!
Like I said, I've only been on the erg for a few weeks so I'm seeing some improvements just because I was so new. I'm still very slow, but have been working on getting up endurance and fitness. I try and keep a steady pace- about 23 or 24 s/m (down from 33!!) and increase my time. Or do a shorter row and pump up the pace a bit. On a short 30 minute row I often do an hour of weights after.
At the moment it would be four hours to complete my marathon- I would hope to get it down to 3.30. I'll be happy with that. I did an hour and fifteen minutes at a 2.48.9 avg/500m and thirty minutes at 2.44.6 avg/500 Not fast but I'm hoping that with more practice it will work out :lol:
My only thought at the moment is maybe increasing the drag rating slightly because reading between the lines this might be better for a short person- something about the length of the pull that I can manage with my little arms and legs :? But I'm not sure if I have that right.
Thanks so much for your support. I think my cold has sorted itself out so I'll be off later to clock up some time on the erg :)

Laura