Forum Flyers

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.
User avatar
jackarabit
Marathon Poster
Posts: 5541
Joined: June 14th, 2014, 9:51 am

Re: Forum Flyers

Post by jackarabit » November 21st, 2021, 9:15 pm

Marcvo17 wrote:
November 6th, 2021, 11:24 pm
Jsarche- I have watched numerous Dark Horse rowing videos on You Tube, but have never gone to their website. I have to check out the workouts you mentioned. Always on the lookout for motivation.

I am a fan of the Concept2 podcasts. The woman who does them (Cady) is not rah-rah/annoying, and has a nice style. The podcast workouts are interesting. There are about 100 workouts; new ones added every couple weeks...probably about 70% on the rower, with the balance on the SkiErg and BikeErg. They are usually 30-60 minutes. They are geared to all levels as the intensity depends on how hard you want to work. Prior to finding these podcasts, I'd just get on the rower and slog away for 30-60 minutes. The workouts are varied types of intervals and provide good reminders on technique, and make the time go relatively quickly....and provide a good sweat.

Curious if others have workouts they listen to? Always on the lookout for motivation.

--Marc
Just noticed the mention of C2 podcast workouts‼️ Who knew? Discovered series pilot dated Nov. 2018 (Holiday Challenge mentioned in pilot episode). Well-kept secret or I just woke from a nap of van Winklish duration. :roll: Thanks Marc for spodlighting these workouts.
There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

M_74_5'-7"_156lb
Image

Tandstad
6k Poster
Posts: 954
Joined: May 10th, 2013, 7:00 am

Re: Forum Flyers

Post by Tandstad » November 22nd, 2021, 5:31 am

Marcvo17 wrote:
November 21st, 2021, 12:22 am
Wow! VERY impressive results for a couple Forum Flyers in this month's CTC Challenge. Thus far out of nearly 400 rowers, Martin Stoeger is 7th and Dirk Moller is tied for 10th.

--Marc
Bravo guys, pulling the numbers they are doing is insane B) 💪
36YO, 188 cm, 105-115 kg, NOR. Instagram: jtands
1K: 2:59(2020), 2K: 6:16(2020), 5K: 16:44(2020), 6K: 20:53(2020), 10K: 34:44(2020), 30min: 8743m(2020), 30r20: 8416(2020), 60min: 16851(2021) HM: 1:16:19(2020)

Marcvo17
500m Poster
Posts: 58
Joined: June 8th, 2020, 10:03 pm
Location: Asheville, NC

Re: Forum Flyers

Post by Marcvo17 » November 25th, 2021, 1:06 am

jackarabit wrote:
November 21st, 2021, 9:15 pm
Marcvo17 wrote:
November 6th, 2021, 11:24 pm
Just noticed the mention of C2 podcast workouts‼️ Who knew? Discovered series pilot dated Nov. 2018 (Holiday Challenge mentioned in pilot episode). Well-kept secret or I just woke from a nap of van Winklish duration. :roll: Thanks Marc for spodlighting these workouts.
Of all the C2 podcasts...the most unique is Workout #79 (which oddly is listed as #91 on the list). It is titled Battle Paddle. The workout is a voiceover of an awesome coxswain shouting out commands as an 8-man boat rows down the Charles River. I have never rowed on the water. It was fascinating and an awesome feeling as you race to the finish line!

--Marc

AnnaRaeGreen
500m Poster
Posts: 50
Joined: September 6th, 2020, 5:34 pm

Re: Forum Flyers

Post by AnnaRaeGreen » November 27th, 2021, 1:01 pm

Marcvo17 wrote:
November 21st, 2021, 12:22 am
Wow! VERY impressive results for a couple Forum Flyers in this month's CTC Challenge. Thus far out of nearly 400 rowers, Martin Stoeger is 7th and Dirk Moller is tied for 10th.

--Marc
And it looks like there is some good-spirited competition amongst Martin and Dirk - I see that Dirk just pulled ahead of Martin - and they are now sitting at 8th and 9th out of 480 rowers - well done!. Todd Carpenter is not too shabby either and is in the top 20. Forum Flyers Boat I is really flying with 77 points..

We just need 3 more rowers to get Boat VII floating - it already has 2 F so we are good there and there are 2 L in Boat VI (so one of them could possibly drop down).

Hope all the folks from the US had a great Thanksgiving! Today is the day to get back on the erg to work off some of that turkey and pumpkin pie!
Anna Rae Green
Medicine Hat, AB Canada
FHWT, Age 55

User avatar
jackarabit
Marathon Poster
Posts: 5541
Joined: June 14th, 2014, 9:51 am

Re: Forum Flyers

Post by jackarabit » November 27th, 2021, 2:13 pm

AnnaRaeGreen wrote:
November 27th, 2021, 1:01 pm
Marcvo17 wrote:
November 21st, 2021, 12:22 am
Wow! VERY impressive results for a couple Forum Flyers in this month's CTC Challenge. Thus far out of nearly 400 rowers, Martin Stoeger is 7th and Dirk Moller is tied for 10th.

--Marc
And it looks like there is some good-spirited competition amongst Martin and Dirk - I see that Dirk just pulled ahead of Martin - and they are now sitting at 8th and 9th out of 480 rowers - well done!. Todd Carpenter is not too shabby either and is in the top 20. Forum Flyers Boat I is really flying with 77 points..

We just need 3 more rowers to get Boat VII floating - it already has 2 F so we are good there and there are 2 L in Boat VI (so one of them could possibly drop down).

Hope all the folks from the US had a great Thanksgiving! Today is the day to get back on the erg to work off some of that turkey and pumpkin pie!
Martin Stoeger is the jewell in the crown of the Covid membership uptick! Too bad we lost Freddie Hancock, another very promising athlete, to MAD!

The supernumerary (slower) mlwt currently boated in 6 is prepared to get the boot as per just about always. I prefer dropping down to dropping dead. :wink:
There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

M_74_5'-7"_156lb
Image

MartinSH4321
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 2564
Joined: October 10th, 2018, 6:43 am

Re: Forum Flyers

Post by MartinSH4321 » November 28th, 2021, 3:46 am

Thank you all! :D
I think Dirk will be #1 this month, maybe I could challenge him on a very good day but only 3 days left and there's no place for another sprint in my training schedule.
1983 Austria 1.86 103Kg
LP: 1:04.6 100m: 13.6 1': 392m 500m: 1:21.4
1k: 3:05 2k: 6:43 5k: 17:53 30': 8237m 30R20: 8088m 10k: 36:39
60': 16087m, HM: 1:19:42
Insta-Training log/vids: @martin.stoeger

AnnaRaeGreen
500m Poster
Posts: 50
Joined: September 6th, 2020, 5:34 pm

Re: Forum Flyers

Post by AnnaRaeGreen » November 29th, 2021, 5:18 pm

jackarabit wrote:
November 27th, 2021, 2:13 pm

The supernumerary (slower) mlwt currently boated in 6 is prepared to get the boot as per just about always. I prefer dropping down to dropping dead. :wink:
Welcome to Boat 7, Jack! :D Glad to have your company. Now we just need one more participant to push us off the dock!
Anna Rae Green
Medicine Hat, AB Canada
FHWT, Age 55

Marcvo17
500m Poster
Posts: 58
Joined: June 8th, 2020, 10:03 pm
Location: Asheville, NC

Re: Forum Flyers

Post by Marcvo17 » November 29th, 2021, 11:04 pm

AnnaRaeGreen wrote:
November 29th, 2021, 5:18 pm
jackarabit wrote:
November 27th, 2021, 2:13 pm

The supernumerary (slower) mlwt currently boated in 6 is prepared to get the boot as per just about always. I prefer dropping down to dropping dead. :wink:
Welcome to Boat 7, Jack! :D Glad to have your company. Now we just need one more participant to push us off the dock!
Let's go! Come on, it's only a minute.

ONE more day to get ONE more rower to row just ONE minute so we can float ONE more boat.

Let's get boat #7 off the dock!

--Marc

User avatar
jackarabit
Marathon Poster
Posts: 5541
Joined: June 14th, 2014, 9:51 am

Re: Forum Flyers

Post by jackarabit » November 30th, 2021, 1:47 am

Jean can’t. Getting new knees one for Xmas one for the New Year. Got a hybrid “transport” chair (no drive band wheels) for her last week. She mostly pushes it around the house as she’s done with grocery carts for a couple yrs.

That mad minute can’t be more than 35 strokes with the dead wheel start (33 in my case). Plenty of time for a proper warmup before. Someone please take a minute to finish the job. Or multiples of 5 plus 1 also works. I could find happiness in boat XVII. :lol:
There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

M_74_5'-7"_156lb
Image

Slothful1
6k Poster
Posts: 632
Joined: March 18th, 2006, 5:52 pm
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Contact:

Re: Forum Flyers

Post by Slothful1 » November 30th, 2021, 2:00 am

I still owe you all a row. Pencilled in for tonight after work, after I ran out of time over the weekend.

But I'm sure someone else will come along and help out before then :).

Dave

Marcvo17
500m Poster
Posts: 58
Joined: June 8th, 2020, 10:03 pm
Location: Asheville, NC

Re: Forum Flyers

Post by Marcvo17 » November 30th, 2021, 11:15 am

jackarabit wrote:
November 30th, 2021, 1:47 am
Jean can’t. Getting new knees one for Xmas one for the New Year. Got a hybrid “transport” chair (no drive band wheels) for her last week. She mostly pushes it around the house as she’s done with grocery carts for a couple yrs.

That mad minute can’t be more than 35 strokes with the dead wheel start (33 in my case). Plenty of time for a proper warmup before. Someone please take a minute to finish the job. Or multiples of 5 plus 1 also works. I could find happiness in boat XVII. :lol:
Wishing Jean the best! Linda had the combo of new hip and new knee done at the end of 2019. The knee recovery was much more difficult than the knee. But she faithfully did her recovery therapy, and she is doing fine and loves being more active without any pain. Medical science is amazing. I am sure Jean will being running marathons come summer :-)

--Marc

Marcvo17
500m Poster
Posts: 58
Joined: June 8th, 2020, 10:03 pm
Location: Asheville, NC

Re: Forum Flyers

Post by Marcvo17 » November 30th, 2021, 11:17 am

Marcvo17 wrote:
November 30th, 2021, 11:15 am
jackarabit wrote:
November 30th, 2021, 1:47 am
Jean can’t. Getting new knees one for Xmas one for the New Year. Got a hybrid “transport” chair (no drive band wheels) for her last week. She mostly pushes it around the house as she’s done with grocery carts for a couple yrs.

That mad minute can’t be more than 35 strokes with the dead wheel start (33 in my case). Plenty of time for a proper warmup before. Someone please take a minute to finish the job. Or multiples of 5 plus 1 also works. I could find happiness in boat XVII. :lol:
Wishing Jean the best! Linda had the combo of new hip and new knee done at the end of 2019. The knee recovery was much more difficult than the knee. But she faithfully did her recovery therapy, and she is doing fine and loves being more active without any pain. Medical science is amazing. I am sure Jean will being running marathons come summer :-)

--Marc
Oops...meant to say the knee recovery was much more difficult than the hip recovery

User avatar
jackarabit
Marathon Poster
Posts: 5541
Joined: June 14th, 2014, 9:51 am

Re: Forum Flyers

Post by jackarabit » November 30th, 2021, 7:50 pm

Hey Marc. On the bionic woman front, Jean was given an optimistic prognosis for recovery and full use of knee joints. I can surmise that, barring sepsis and surgical ‘revision’ (horrible euphemism for FUBAR imo), degree of recovery depends on time and attention given to rehab. Hard to miss Linda’s access of enthusiasm for a personal renascence in all that bike and row-erging for the seasonal challenges!👍👍
There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

M_74_5'-7"_156lb
Image

User avatar
jackarabit
Marathon Poster
Posts: 5541
Joined: June 14th, 2014, 9:51 am

Re: Forum Flyers

Post by jackarabit » December 2nd, 2021, 9:27 pm

Slothful1 wrote:
November 30th, 2021, 2:00 am
I still owe you all a row. Pencilled in for tonight after work, after I ran out of time over the weekend.

But I'm sure someone else will come along and help out before then :).

Dave
Yeah, the ‘multiples of 5’ thing worked out swell. :lol:
There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

M_74_5'-7"_156lb
Image

AnnaRaeGreen
500m Poster
Posts: 50
Joined: September 6th, 2020, 5:34 pm

Re: Forum Flyers

Post by AnnaRaeGreen » December 4th, 2021, 10:34 am

jackarabit wrote:
December 2nd, 2021, 9:27 pm

Yeah, the ‘multiples of 5’ thing worked out swell. :lol:
I was thinking the same :lol:
Anna Rae Green
Medicine Hat, AB Canada
FHWT, Age 55

Post Reply