The Diamonds

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.
georgie
Paddler

Re: 24 Hr Row

Post by georgie » May 3rd, 2021, 12:44 pm

24HR ROW

The Build Up
Three week ago the Gaffer posted his usual interesting and informative team mail. One of the articles mentioned that Bill Silva, rower extraordinaire, was on target to complete a lifetime 100 million meters by the end of the season. How can I best honour the occasion? 30th April – a new age group for me; what better way to mark this special milestone but to test myself to my limits?
The night before the row doubts started creeping into my head. Have I really taken leave of my senses? I’m nowhere near as fit or as fast as I was ten years ago. What do I have going for me? Experience, would that be enough? I had asked the lovely Peta Robinson from Oz to send me a text during the so called graveyard hours. That would be one big incentive to keep me going. How could I let Peta down by being already curled up in my bed fast asleep?
Fast forward to 9.58am April 29th. All set up and ready for the off. ErgData switched on. What! The PM had switched back to the workout screen. I tried waving frantically at Andy, who was busy staring at the time, ready to start the stop watch. I tried resetting the PM, but it wasn’t giving me the same screen. I was flustered. After a bit of a domestic, I calmed down, managed to set the monitor correctly, and off I went, albeit 2 mins late.

The Row
The target was the 70-79 Womens Hwt. WR which stands at 168,171m.
I had a plan, not written down, not very scientific, but it was a plan. 3 hrs averaging 10k per hr, 3hrs @ 9.5k per hr, 3hrs @ 9k per hr, 3hrs @ 8.5. That would take me to the half way point with quite a buffer in hand. To my surprise, all went well. I was rowing for approx. 58mins, stopping to take a screenshot and jot down the distance. Then allowing myself another 2-8mins to take on board nutrition, stand and stretch, change clothes, and other bodily functions. I kept in mind that to be accepted for a longest continual row, I could not take any longer than 10mins rest in any given hr. The only discomfort so far was a slight cramping sensation in my right foot, and a blister on the tip of my little finger, ugh! The graveyard hours began. I now started believing that I may possibly manage to crawl across the finish line. Another 3hr go by. It’s text time – no text, maybe the next hr – no text – it’s got to be the next hr – silence. She’s teasing me! But wait, it’s getting light outside. Andy comes down to see if I’m still alive and makes me a coffee. Home straight now, just 4 hrs to go. I’d already reached my target of 168k the hr before, so set the next at 200k. That sounds more respectable. 4 hrs is still a long time, and to claim that record I needed to finish. Andy comes and checks for the next 3 hrs. I saw there was a possibility of surpassing the distance I achieved as a 58 year old some 12 yrs ago. So after the last fumble to take a screenshot and recording the distance, I plough on. With the finish in sight, Andy prepares to take a video. He stops the watch with 20secs remaining! Oh well. Thank goodness for the reliability of the monitor and ErgData.

The Nitty Gritty:
The PM5 was set for a single variable time of 24hrs, using the ErgData app. to keep the monitor alive. About an hr before the start I had a coffee and ibuprofen. No time for breakfast before, so had my tried and tested 2 x slices of marmalade on toast during the first couple of hours. Over the course of the 24h I took in approx 7 litres of fluid. This included 4 litres water, 4 cups of coffee, 1.5 cuppa soups, and approx 1 litre of Lucozade. For munchies (in addition to the marmalade on toast), 2 slices bread and butter with cuppa soups, 1.5 small Twix’s and 2x Mini Rolls. I learned a lot from my 1st attempt at what not to eat and drink! Distance covered: 213405m.

Here’s a copy of metres covered in each hour and the approx. rest taken (to the nearest minute):

MPx
6k Poster

Re: The Diamonds

Post by MPx » May 3rd, 2021, 3:09 pm

Awesome Georgie - well done indeed! I can't imagine the determination required to undertake such a thing and my body would have given up in the first quarter even if my mind didn't. Consider my cap well and truly doffed.
Mike - 63 HWT 183

DavidA
10k Poster

Re: 24 Hr Row

Post by DavidA » May 3rd, 2021, 4:17 pm

georgie wrote:
May 3rd, 2021, 12:44 pm
24HR ROW

The Build Up
Three week ago the Gaffer posted his usual interesting and informative team mail. One of the articles mentioned that Bill Silva, rower extraordinaire, was on target to complete a lifetime 100 million meters by the end of the season. How can I best honour the occasion? 30th April – a new age group for me; what better way to mark this special milestone but to test myself to my limits?
The night before the row doubts started creeping into my head. Have I really taken leave of my senses? I’m nowhere near as fit or as fast as I was ten years ago. What do I have going for me? Experience, would that be enough? I had asked the lovely Peta Robinson from Oz to send me a text during the so called graveyard hours. That would be one big incentive to keep me going. How could I let Peta down by being already curled up in my bed fast asleep?
Fast forward to 9.58am April 29th. All set up and ready for the off. ErgData switched on. What! The PM had switched back to the workout screen. I tried waving frantically at Andy, who was busy staring at the time, ready to start the stop watch. I tried resetting the PM, but it wasn’t giving me the same screen. I was flustered. After a bit of a domestic, I calmed down, managed to set the monitor correctly, and off I went, albeit 2 mins late.

The Row
The target was the 70-79 Womens Hwt. WR which stands at 168,171m.
I had a plan, not written down, not very scientific, but it was a plan. 3 hrs averaging 10k per hr, 3hrs @ 9.5k per hr, 3hrs @ 9k per hr, 3hrs @ 8.5. That would take me to the half way point with quite a buffer in hand. To my surprise, all went well. I was rowing for approx. 58mins, stopping to take a screenshot and jot down the distance. Then allowing myself another 2-8mins to take on board nutrition, stand and stretch, change clothes, and other bodily functions. I kept in mind that to be accepted for a longest continual row, I could not take any longer than 10mins rest in any given hr. The only discomfort so far was a slight cramping sensation in my right foot, and a blister on the tip of my little finger, ugh! The graveyard hours began. I now started believing that I may possibly manage to crawl across the finish line. Another 3hr go by. It’s text time – no text, maybe the next hr – no text – it’s got to be the next hr – silence. She’s teasing me! But wait, it’s getting light outside. Andy comes down to see if I’m still alive and makes me a coffee. Home straight now, just 4 hrs to go. I’d already reached my target of 168k the hr before, so set the next at 200k. That sounds more respectable. 4 hrs is still a long time, and to claim that record I needed to finish. Andy comes and checks for the next 3 hrs. I saw there was a possibility of surpassing the distance I achieved as a 58 year old some 12 yrs ago. So after the last fumble to take a screenshot and recording the distance, I plough on. With the finish in sight, Andy prepares to take a video. He stops the watch with 20secs remaining! Oh well. Thank goodness for the reliability of the monitor and ErgData.

The Nitty Gritty:
The PM5 was set for a single variable time of 24hrs, using the ErgData app. to keep the monitor alive. About an hr before the start I had a coffee and ibuprofen. No time for breakfast before, so had my tried and tested 2 x slices of marmalade on toast during the first couple of hours. Over the course of the 24h I took in approx 7 litres of fluid. This included 4 litres water, 4 cups of coffee, 1.5 cuppa soups, and approx 1 litre of Lucozade. For munchies (in addition to the marmalade on toast), 2 slices bread and butter with cuppa soups, 1.5 small Twix’s and 2x Mini Rolls. I learned a lot from my 1st attempt at what not to eat and drink! Distance covered: 213405m.

Here’s a copy of metres covered in each hour and the approx. rest taken (to the nearest minute):
CONGRATULATIONS!!
That's amazing! (and insane :lol: )

David
60 y / 70 kg / 172 cm / 5 kids / 13 grandkids :)
Received my model C erg 18-Dec-1994
my log

Kona2
Marathon Poster

World Record - Congratulations!

Post by Kona2 » May 3rd, 2021, 6:33 pm

ImageImageImage 213,405 m ... 24 hrs!

Congratulations, Georgie! And thank you for the great write up of the event. Simply amazing!