TimbukTOO Team Room

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.
johnb
2k Poster

Re: TimbukTOO Team Room

Post by johnb » August 31st, 2014, 5:26 pm

damselfly wrote:Hey team,

This has been the best week exercise-wise for me in quite a while -- three runs (tho one was on the dreadmill), two rows, various weights, and almost an hour in the pool today (half of that was pool running)!! It is nothing short of miraculous what my physical therapist has done for my shoulders. I still am not putting much power in either rowing or swimming, but just being able to get more active is wonderful. I think I will always be contending with various joint pains from now on -- next to diagnose is my hands. But definitely my quality of everyday life has been restored.

Hopefully I'll be able to put in some meters at least twice a week now, but am not going to promise much for the fall challenge. But I'll be here cheering on you power rowers!!

Row Strong, Team!!!

Great to hear you're doing better. You take your time getting back. Everyone here cares way more about you doing well then any fall challenge meters!

dag1
1k Poster

Post by dag1 » August 31st, 2014, 6:30 pm

Lisa, Being new to the team, I guess I'm not sure what all your up against health wise, but it's encouraging to see you're overcoming some challenges and have a good attitude. I hope you continue to get stronger, and thanks for all your encouragement and input to the team room. I also wish Jim a speedy recovery on his broken foot, hope you can get in on the tail end of the fall tem challenge.
Doug G

Dodgers@66
Paddler

Post by Dodgers@66 » September 1st, 2014, 8:13 pm

At 1st I thought what the Hell...Then I thought that's clever- the hamster is giving a commentary...Then I realized you talking about your own recovery and thought that's Grrrrreeeeaaaat :mrgreen:

Dodgers@66
Paddler

Post by Dodgers@66 » September 1st, 2014, 8:27 pm

I'm very pleased to be part of this team and going into the Team Challenge I look forward to moving up the ladder a bit. :mrgreen:

Izzzmeister
10k Poster

Post by Izzzmeister » September 1st, 2014, 10:33 pm

damselfly wrote:Yisroel H - 13,642 'Bout time! :wink:
Yes, I have shamed my entire family, but I'm not ready to commit hara-kiri yet.
This, like a number of my August - or not-so-august - rows, was an aborted hour attempt. Because I've been lifting heavy & hard, when I row the next day, my muscles run out of glycogen after 45-50 minutes & I need to pull the plug. The main row here was 11,642 in 45:20.6 (1:56.8/500m), so that means I stopped 15 minutes early, but later did a 2K cooldown (8:00.2).

The good news for me is: 1) Part of the reason I did so few rows is that my son was home, & he wanted to go on bike rides with me. So, I put in a few hundred more miles on my bike this season - even after my 45-mile Bike The Drive in Chicago. A typical ride with him: Go 9 miles together. He stops to rest, I go out another 3 miles, then back to rejoin him, then ride home together. So, I did 24 miles, he did 18. Way big improvement from when he'd stop after 5 miles in pain.
2) I'm getting stronger, which has to translate into faster rows for me when I finally get my consistency going, and then add speed work. I'm about 25-30% stronger now, but that also came with an 8-10 pound weight gain, which I hope is mostly muscle. My "bulking" phase is soon coming to an end, so the "cutting" part should give me more stamina & speed if done sensibly.
3) No elbow pain, following my trauma-induced bout with bursitis. I am working to control some tendinitis though, by wrapping the tendon & concentrating on not bending my right wrist backwards at the end of the rowing stroke.

Considering how low my volume has been (2 weeks doctor-mandated downtime in May, gradual build-up through June & July, missing over a week of rowing while on vacation in August, building back up now), my speed has not suffered much. Four weeks of 50-60K, which the Fall Challenge should afford me, & I should be at a point faster than last year...

damselfly
Half Marathon Poster

Post by damselfly » September 2nd, 2014, 12:32 am

Welcome back to returning member Rachel Betts! Glad to have you back aboard!! 14 of 63 members (22%) logged 97,458 total meters Sunday!

Milestones achieved:
Matthew R upended 300K, and Kristin C tacked past 100K!!

Approaching milestones:
Gary G is sneaking up on 1.1M (-10,311m), Randy F is shooting for 1M (-18,903m), Katerina M is seeking 800K (-20,804m), Mark St is tearing towards 500K (-5,698m), Jack F is speeding towards 250K (-9,339m), and Adam M is racing towards 150K (-24,518m)

Posted Meters:
Jerry H - 13,210 Killa!
Gary G - 12,402 Sweet!
John Sc. - 10,011 Solid!
Randy F - 10,000 On target!
Jack F - 7,281 Back in the swing!
John B - 6,800 Nice!
Matthew R - 6,729 Finding the time!
Jay K. - 6,500 Right back after a super-long row!
Kristin C - 6,025 Two-fer!
Katerina M - 4,500 No rest after her HM!
Rachel B - 4,000 Welcome back!
Mark St - 4,000 Great!
Adam M - 3,000 Sneaking back in some erg time!
Bobbie K - 3,000 Three at 3k-plus!

-- Lisa

Try not! Do, or do not! There is no "try". -- Yoda

dpw4812
1k Poster

Post by dpw4812 » September 2nd, 2014, 8:29 am

Lisa & Capt

So glad to hear you are both recovering from your injuries. I know it is a tough road, even tougher when the the thought of getting back on the ERG. When I was recovering and not on the ERG, I felt when I was on the treadmill or elliptical I could feel the machine looking at me, calling me. It was weird LOL :o . I would walk by and I think the chain would try and grab my leg and the fan spinning and I could hear it say " you know you want to sit down and get a real work out" .

Oh and the dreams of being on the ERG will go away once your back on it. :D

So get strong and stay healthy.

David

Quatroux
6k Poster

Post by Quatroux » September 2nd, 2014, 10:15 am

This past Saturday was the Six Bridges Regatta in Little Rock, Arkansas. It was a 5,000 meter head race. I finished the course in my 1X with a raw time of 24:15.6 with a headwind. That was good enough for second place in my event and the 3rd fastest 1X time of the day. The regatta had not been held since 1936 and this was their first attempt to bring it back.
Below is a picture of me and the guy that won first place. His name is Ivan Kolar and he rowed and coached for the Serbian National Team.
Attachments
IMG_20140830_111907.gif
IMG_20140830_111907.gif (116.06 KiB) Viewed 8720 times
IMG_20140830_125521.gif
IMG_20140830_125521.gif (89.44 KiB) Viewed 8720 times
-Andy
PaceBoat lurched ahead unforgivingly, mocking his efforts.

Bobbie_Zee
1k Poster

Post by Bobbie_Zee » September 2nd, 2014, 10:34 am

WHOOO HOOOO ANDY!

Back from vacay, and looking forward to the Fall Team Challenge!

Row strong, Team TimbukTOO!

Bobbie

damselfly
Half Marathon Poster

Post by damselfly » September 2nd, 2014, 11:09 am

Quatroux wrote:This past Saturday was the Six Bridges Regatta in Little Rock, Arkansas. It was a 5,000 meter head race. I finished the course in my 1X with a raw time of 24:15.6 with a headwind. That was good enough for second place in my event and the 3rd fastest 1X time of the day. The regatta had not been held since 1936 and this was their first attempt to bring it back.
Below is a picture of me and the guy that won first place. His name is Ivan Kolar and he rowed and coached for the Serbian National Team.
Hugely Awesome!!! What an accomplishment! You've come a loooooooonnnng way, baby!
-- Lisa

Dodgers@66
Paddler

Post by Dodgers@66 » September 2nd, 2014, 11:41 am

Quatroux wrote:This past Saturday was the Six Bridges Regatta in Little Rock, Arkansas. It was a 5,000 meter head race. I finished the course in my 1X with a raw time of 24:15.6 with a headwind. That was good enough for second place in my event and the 3rd fastest 1X time of the day. The regatta had not been held since 1936 and this was their first attempt to bring it back.
Quatroux pleased to hear about your magnificent success at the Six Bridges Regatta. From the picture of you and Ivan I guess you and I are about the same height. Hope to join you next year in AR although a little short on experience. Had my 1st and only adventure in a scull earlier this summer. In a 4X intro class - we capsized :mrgreen: My prosthetic kept floating to the surface - it was hilarious :mrgreen: The finger was naturally pointed in my direction but I maintain that my paddles were squarely skimming the water :mrgreen:

Dodgers@66
Paddler

Post by Dodgers@66 » September 2nd, 2014, 11:50 am

damselfly wrote:Welcome back to returning member Rachel Betts! Glad to have you back aboard!! 14 of 63 members (22%) logged 97,458 total meters Sunday!

Milestones achieved:
Matthew R upended 300K, and Kristin C tacked past 100K!!

Approaching milestones:
Gary G is sneaking up on 1.1M (-10,311m), Randy F is shooting for 1M (-18,903m), Katerina M is seeking 800K (-20,804m), Mark St is tearing towards 500K (-5,698m), Jack F is speeding towards 250K (-9,339m), and Adam M is racing towards 150K (-24,518m)

Posted Meters:
Jerry H - 13,210 Killa!
Gary G - 12,402 Sweet!
John Sc. - 10,011 Solid!
Randy F - 10,000 On target!
Jack F - 7,281 Back in the swing!
John B - 6,800 Nice!
Matthew R - 6,729 Finding the time!
Jay K. - 6,500 Right back after a super-long row!
Kristin C - 6,025 Two-fer!
Katerina M - 4,500 No rest after her HM!
Rachel B - 4,000 Welcome back!
Mark St - 4,000 Great!
Adam M - 3,000 Sneaking back in some erg time!
Bobbie K - 3,000 Three at 3k-plus!

Damselfly,
It's great that you keep us up to date with what's going on with the team on a regular basis. Noticed that while I finished the Summer Solstace Challenged I've yet to finish a half-marathon. Plan to kick off the team challenge on the 15th with a half-marathon anyone up to do it with me? :mrgreen:

Dodgers@66
Paddler

Post by Dodgers@66 » September 2nd, 2014, 11:53 am

johnb wrote:
damselfly wrote:Hey team,

This has been the best week exercise-wise for me in quite a while -- three runs (tho one was on the dreadmill), two rows, various weights, and almost an hour in the pool today (half of that was pool running)!! It is nothing short of miraculous what my physical therapist has done for my shoulders. I still am not putting much power in either rowing or swimming, but just being able to get more active is wonderful. I think I will always be contending with various joint pains from now on -- next to diagnose is my hands. But definitely my quality of everyday life has been restored.

Hopefully I'll be able to put in some meters at least twice a week now, but am not going to promise much for the fall challenge. But I'll be here cheering on you power rowers!!

Row Strong, Team!!!

Great to hear you're doing better. You take your time getting back. Everyone here cares way more about you doing well then any fall challenge meters!
Just have to ask about that picture. Every time I see it a smile come to me. Where did it come from? :mrgreen:

damselfly
Half Marathon Poster

Post by damselfly » September 2nd, 2014, 2:11 pm

There's a bunch of different places I get my stuff -- One is "I Love Rowing" on facebook http://www.facebook.com/RowingTurkey?ref=br_tf. Another is just using Google on images. And I've been known to take my hand to Photoshop when the mood strikes me... I did our intrepid Cap'n's avatar (the pirate Alfred E. Newman), and fun stuff like this little gem...

Last edited by damselfly on September 2nd, 2014, 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- Lisa

damselfly
Half Marathon Poster

Post by damselfly » September 2nd, 2014, 2:14 pm

Dodgers@66 wrote: In a 4X intro class - we capsized :mrgreen: My prosthetic kept floating to the surface - it was hilarious :mrgreen: The finger was naturally pointed in my direction but I maintain that my paddles were squarely skimming the water :mrgreen:
:o :o :o

Why I don't row on the water. :) Andy has some absolutely WONDERFUL posts of some of his early on-the-water exploits**. He's gotten good at it, so keep practicing and you'll get there too!

Edit to add: **like this one...
-- Lisa