TimbukTOO Team Room

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.
johnb
2k Poster

Re: TimbukTOO Team Room

Post by johnb » September 14th, 2013, 8:33 pm

ronmardix wrote:
johnb wrote:Am I off base by thinking of
drag factor in terms of damper setting?
See my post below for a link
Thanks Ron, with everyone's help here I will become
knowledgable, proficient, and pay it forward. I
will put in the effort to get there.

damselfly
Half Marathon Poster

Post by damselfly » September 15th, 2013, 12:16 am

Sit ready.

Attention!

ROW!!!

Let the Fall Challenge begin!!

-- Lisa

Try not! Do, or do not! There is no "try". -- Yoda

gandcc
Paddler

Post by gandcc » September 15th, 2013, 7:04 am

I do not recommend the nogrip rowing gloves. I purchased a set and was dissatisfied with the performance. The big annoyance was the slippage of the glove because the thumb is not secured...this causes the glove to slip and twist during rows. Also the wristband is a poor design....it is too big for one thing and also suffers from the same slipping because of thumb. When the wristband slips it is painful.

My design change suggestion would be to secure the thumb and secure the fingers with individual loops rather than the strap.

I live in Turkey and am thinking of designing a prototype of the perfect rowing glove and having it made by a local leather-smith. If it works I'll let you all know.

Regards,
George

ronmardix
2k Poster

Post by ronmardix » September 15th, 2013, 8:34 am

johnb wrote:
ronmardix wrote:
johnb wrote:Am I off base by thinking of
drag factor in terms of damper setting?
See my post below for a link
Thanks Ron, with everyone's help here I will become
knowledgable, proficient, and pay it forward. I
will put in the effort to get there.
Slow and easy does the trick. This can be a life long obsession if you build a good foundation.

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » September 15th, 2013, 9:40 am

As a long time rower I need to add a comment as to the effectiveness and benefits of the New Grip Rowing gloves..or I should say grips, not really a glove.
I suffered wrist issues and did not want to deal with long term care or surgery.I found these rowing grips and they solved all of my rowing issues that affected my wrists, forearms and hands.
The wrist straps for me fit perfectly and the hand portion are perfect.They do, I must admit, have a learning curve and i spent a short time emailing the company for advice.
After using them, getting them broken in etc..they have been a life saver for me and my wrist issues are all but gone.I have given these to Cross Fit friends and they are amazed at how they work for them
They are cost effective and in my opinion are worth the money and time spent in learning to use them and I highly recommend them.
Many times the company has BOGO deals which is awesome.
I realize that there is never a product that works for everyone but when I see something that works wonders for me as an aging rower..and a fit individual with cross training ability..I say what I feel.
I began indoor rowing in the early 90s when no one in the gym even touched the rowers.i was personal trainer in that gym and I spent hours rowing, introduced it to all of my clients.I was cursed at and scowled at with each rowing session each endured but it gave them results that no other form of cardio offered.That was YEARS ago.
My husband bought me my own Concept 2 erg and that was the beginning of my rowing journey as a virtual rower.
Rowing is in our Cross Fit boxes..
It is for ALL ages and is safe and effective.

Row strong!!
Have fun!!

Pat B)
[img]http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/lockaroundmyheart/Not%20Real%20Pictures/Animations/diddle-1.gif[/img]

gandcc
Paddler

Post by gandcc » September 15th, 2013, 11:02 am

Pat,
I tried to 'adjust' to them for more than 1 year.

Regards,
George W.

damselfly
Half Marathon Poster

Post by damselfly » September 15th, 2013, 12:19 pm

All hands on deck! 10 of 57 members (18%) logged 123,545 total meters Saturday!

Milestones achieved:
Kyle killed 600K, and Matthew mastered 300K!!

Approaching milestones:
David is closing fast on 2.5M (-49,271m), Jim C is jumping at 1.5M (-12,000m), Adam is approaching 1.1M (-16,403m), John S is sighting 800K (-43,965m), Jim G is nearing 450K (-10,755m), Dana is eyeing 200K (-10,300m), and Dale is about to breech 150K (-10,005m). Row like the wind!

This week's frequent rowers (Sat 9/7 through Fri 9/13):
Adam M, Bobbie Z, Diane M, Ron M & Ulla D - 6
Dale C, Dana H, David W, Jim G, Joseph W, Kevin K & Pat M - 5
Ed M, Jim C & Lisa H - 4

Posted Meters:
David W - 24,325 Bueno!
Jim C - 16,000 Fab!
Adam M - 15,500 A little extra for good measure!
Dale C - 15,351 BIG!
Kyle J - 14,000 Back to it after a pre-challenge hiatus!
John S - 11,211 In off the streets!
Matthew R - 10,500 Nice!
Dana H - 6,100 Building!
Pat M - 5,492 Down the straightaway!
Jim G - 5,066 Solid!

-- Lisa

Cyclingman1
10k Poster

Post by Cyclingman1 » September 15th, 2013, 1:02 pm

damselfly wrote:Sit ready.

Attention!

ROW!!!

Let the Fall Challenge begin!!
It would be nice if Concept2 was ready for FTC input on 9/15, the starting day. So far, nada. Seems like someone is asleep at the switch. JimG
JimG, Gainesville, Ga, 78, 76", 205lb. PBs:
66-69: .5,1,2,5,6,10K: 1:30.8 3:14.1 6:40.7 17:34.0 21:18.1 36:21.7 30;60;HM: 8337 16237 1:20:25
70-78: .5,1,2,5,6,10K: 1:32.7 3:19.5 6:58.1 17:55.3 21:32.6 36:41.9 30;60;HM: 8214 15353 1:23:02.5

damselfly
Half Marathon Poster

Post by damselfly » September 15th, 2013, 1:48 pm

Cyclingman1 wrote: It would be nice if Concept2 was ready for FTC input on 9/15, the starting day. So far, nada. Seems like someone is asleep at the switch. JimG
Yeah, what's up with that!?!? Meters don't even show up on our Team Page. Off with their heads! :evil:
-- Lisa

ronmardix
2k Poster

Post by ronmardix » September 15th, 2013, 2:18 pm

:D
damselfly wrote:
Cyclingman1 wrote: It would be nice if Concept2 was ready for FTC input on 9/15, the starting day. So far, nada. Seems like someone is asleep at the switch. JimG
Yeah, what's up with that!?!? Meters don't even show up on our Team Page. Off with their heads! :evil:
These young kids these days. Soooo impatient. :D

quilter35
Paddler

Post by quilter35 » September 15th, 2013, 4:51 pm

I have a question about Rowpro...I started a session and then had to stop in the middle (my computer screen saver came on and I couldn't reach it). When I went back to complete, it started from the beginning and didn't show what I had already done. I knew where I was, so I entered it manually and then started a new session.

Also for the record of what we are rowing, are you able to view my online logbook or do we need to post it somewhere else? Just want to be sure all my meters are counted!!

Thanks.

Kris

damselfly
Half Marathon Poster

Post by damselfly » September 15th, 2013, 5:31 pm

Hi Kris, I don't know RP well but Cap'n and a couple others use it so hopefully they can talk about that. As far as us your meters tracking for the team, just enter them in the regular C2 logbook. I pick up the numbers from the TimBukToo affiliation page, which shows everyone's season meter totals.
-- Lisa

damselfly
Half Marathon Poster

Post by damselfly » September 15th, 2013, 5:36 pm

Here's something good from a Runners World article about avoiding injuries, and applies well to rowing also. Avoid the Terrible Toos!!!**

AVOID THE TERRIBLE TOO’S. Doing too much, too soon, too fast is the number-one cause of running injuries. The body needs time to adapt to increases in mileage or speed. Muscles and joints need recovery time so they can handle more demands. If you rush that process, you could break down rather than build up. So be the tortoise, not the hare. Increase your weekly and monthly running totals gradually.
** it occurs me that "The Terrible Toos" should be our team nickname, and should strike fear and trepidation into the hearts and minds of all those who oppose us!
-- Lisa

ronmardix
2k Poster

Post by ronmardix » September 15th, 2013, 6:11 pm

damselfly wrote:Here's something good from a Runners World article about avoiding injuries, and applies well to rowing also. Avoid the Terrible Toos!!!**

AVOID THE TERRIBLE TOO’S. Doing too much, too soon, too fast is the number-one cause of running injuries. The body needs time to adapt to increases in mileage or speed. Muscles and joints need recovery time so they can handle more demands. If you rush that process, you could break down rather than build up. So be the tortoise, not the hare. Increase your weekly and monthly running totals gradually.
** it occurs me that "The Terrible Toos" should be our team nickname, and should strike fear and trepidation into the hearts and minds of all those who oppose us!

Bbbbbbbut, the challenge. The Fall Team Challenge? What about The Challenge? :shock:

damselfly
Half Marathon Poster

Post by damselfly » September 15th, 2013, 6:34 pm

ronmardix wrote:
damselfly wrote:Here's something good from a Runners World article about avoiding injuries, and applies well to rowing also. Avoid the Terrible Toos!!!**

Bbbbbbbut, the challenge. The Fall Team Challenge? What about The Challenge? :shock:
Cap'n will probably throw me to the sharks for saying this, but we get where we get! I don't want anyone injured on my watch!

Besides. David will row more than the rest of us combined. :lol: :lol:
-- Lisa