LUNA-TICS TEAM ROOM: Year-round "Looney" fun.

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.

Can this one team row to the moon and back?

Poll ended at May 17th, 2008, 12:28 pm

I think we can do it together. I'm all in!
85%
No way! You all are wacko!
15%

Total votes: 54

Rumping
1k Poster

Re: LUNA-TICS TEAM ROOM: Year-round "Looney" fun.

Post by Rumping » March 14th, 2012, 12:07 am

That was a long enough break. Time to get back onto the erg...

Off topic: In the meantime I've started looking for a new/used car. Lots of choice out there, but I noticed something odd with my favorite local used car dealer. He has a 2011 Hyundai Tuscon on his lot that he just got in, priced at $22,900 (GLS trim, 26000 miles, no other extras). Generally I get a good deal from him, so I was planning on test driving that car tomorrow. However, looking at the local Hyundai dealer, a brand new 2012 Tuscon GLS including $825 in freight charges is $23,120 (the new model year gives an extra 0.8 gallons in the tank and 1 extra mpg efficiency).

I thought this was somewhat absurd. On the other hand, he should be able to give me an extra $4000-5000 or so for my trade in is my guess. I'll have to have a chat with him.

Back on topic: Grats on the prices! And while I'm out of the March Madness challenge, I'm in for the World Erg Challenge that's about to start.

Daylight savings: Back in the Fall, the clock went back an hour so that it was still dark when I went to work (just like the week before), but now it was dark when I left work too instead of still light outside. And now that it's been undone it basically means that it's a little brighter outside when I go to work and I have an extra hour of light after work. There is no point to doing the daylight savings for the Winter as far as I'm concerned and it only uses up extra energy by making it dark earlier.
Wim (attempting to get back into rowing shape).

brotherjim
10k Poster

Post by brotherjim » March 14th, 2012, 7:04 am

A huge welcome to all new teammates, it is so nice to have you row with us. Also welcome back to our military challenge teammates, thank you for all you do and have done. Sorry this is so late.
Congrats to all who have passed so many milestones, and it is cool that we have Katerina and Robyn winners in the MMC.
Can we make it a hat trick?
Also, way to walk Richard T. in the Idita-Walk. He is currently in 8th place just a stones throw out of 5th. Go Richard !!!!!!!!
Good luck to all in the WEC :)
jim

Drivetofast
6k Poster

Post by Drivetofast » March 14th, 2012, 8:36 am

Thanks BrotherJim

Pretty Easy to do when Your Retired and have a Farm to walk on.

Richard T

mrbogie
Paddler

Post by mrbogie » March 14th, 2012, 11:41 am

:D When told the reason for daylight saving time, the Old Indian said, "Only the government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it on the bottom, and have a longer blanket."
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word." -- Andrew Jackson

Restless
1k Poster

Post by Restless » March 14th, 2012, 2:16 pm

mrbogie wrote::D When told the reason for daylight saving time, the Old Indian said, "Only the government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it on the bottom, and have a longer blanket."
Very nice, I love this!

Congrats Robyn on the March Madness winning :) Also Richard T for the Idita-Walk!

-Rebecca
Life is not about learning to survive the storm, but rather learning to dance in the rain.

brotherjim
10k Poster

Post by brotherjim » March 14th, 2012, 4:20 pm

Welcome Bill, Jeanette, and Lori! Glad to have you rowing with the Luna-Tics :)

BAZzy
6k Poster

Post by BAZzy » March 14th, 2012, 4:28 pm

mrbogie wrote::D When told the reason for daylight saving time, the Old Indian said, "Only the government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it on the bottom, and have a longer blanket."
:lol: :lol: :lol: very loudly :!:

Cheers, BBB
"Those who don't think it can be done shouldn't bother the person doing it..."
www.thelandy.com

just27
10k Poster

Post by just27 » March 14th, 2012, 5:06 pm

nl07695 wrote:
just27 wrote: Don't mess with my clocks. I think it's a diabolical ruse initiated by morning people. Just can't figure out what their advantage is ... but I'm sure there is one!
Sorry Chris I don't agree with your statement. It's a gift from us... morning people... towards you night crawlers. We provide you an whole extra hour of nice sunlight, that you will enjoy when you are awake the most... your evening. In our case, as morning people, we suffer for this kind present. Now in
Hah, the line's been drawn. Okay, how about we simply change the clocks a half hour, then leave them alone forever? For all the candles we save with the additional hour of daylight at the moment, I'm sure the government has found a hidden way to tax wax.

Kona2
Marathon Poster

It really happened just like this...

Post by Kona2 » March 14th, 2012, 6:02 pm

Not in Denver at the moment...and while there was a time change this week, it was more likely that the early hour of today's departure caused me to forget to forward my spreadsheet files to my email....rats. I will most likely be able to get the file uploaded this evening, but right now...can't do it. So the stat postings are delayed, but promise great woohoo and hooyah shouts when the numbers are produced. Apologies!

In the meantime, welcome also to Bill, Jeanette and Lori. Great to have you aboard! Here's wishing you many, MANY great rowing sessions and lots of camaraderie.

Tomorrow kicks off the World Erg Challenge ... so hope all are ready to rock and row-l through the next four weeks of the last team challenge of the year. Should be great fun to see where we end up! Sign on, sign on, sign on if you haven't joined the team !

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Upon arrival at the moon ....

Post by Kona2 » March 15th, 2012, 10:41 am

Upon arrival at our lunar base...

Kona2
Marathon Poster

She's A Meter Millionaire!

Post by Kona2 » March 15th, 2012, 11:24 am

ImageImageImage Image

Woohoo and hooyah! Seems only fitting to use the Kiba designed celebratory cupcakes for this! Congratulations, Kiba, on achieving a ONE million meter rowing season! We wish you many, MANY more!

Restless
1k Poster

Re: She's A Meter Millionaire!

Post by Restless » March 15th, 2012, 12:37 pm

Kona2 wrote:ImageImageImage Image

Woohoo and hooyah! Seems only fitting to use the Kiba designed celebratory cupcakes for this! Congratulations, Kiba, on achieving a ONE million meter rowing season! We wish you many, MANY more!
Congrats Kiba on the one million! :D

-Rebecca
Life is not about learning to survive the storm, but rather learning to dance in the rain.

bg
Half Marathon Poster

Post by bg » March 15th, 2012, 1:15 pm

behind again....marathon brain??????woooo hoooo and congrats to kevin and kiba...hope i haven't missed anyone....and welcome to all the new folks.....and wooo hoooo richard ...great job on the idita-walk.....btw chris, when i was a kid....many....many....many....many.....years ago....i was told that the reason for the time change was so that school children would not be walking to school in the dark...and that the farmers wanted it....

BAZzy
6k Poster

Post by BAZzy » March 15th, 2012, 6:13 pm

Way to go Kiba and welcome to Bill, Jeanette, and Lori!

Hard to believe we are swinging around into the weekend already...and into the World Erg Challenge, go team Luna-tics!

Enjoy the weekend wherever you are in the universe, and I’ll leave you with the following thought I came across the other day from Mark Rippetoe, one of America’s finest power-lifters, and strength and conditioning coach... I like his thinking, and approach to life generally.

“The best way to prepare for the inevitable stuff that life occasionally hands us all is to live in a way that prepares you for it...Intentionally placing yourself in the position of having to complete a task when you don’t know if you can is the single best way of preparing yourself to be in that position unintentionally. And that, my friends, is the best way your training should be approached, so that you get more out of it than just wellness.”

And as usual, if all else fails, break the glass and reach for the vegemite! :wink:

Cheers, BBB
"Those who don't think it can be done shouldn't bother the person doing it..."
www.thelandy.com

Edscapade
2k Poster

Post by Edscapade » March 15th, 2012, 9:22 pm

Hey BAZzy,

Thanks for the quote! That was awesome. Good luck to everyone on the challange. Let the fun begin...

Best,
Ed