TimbukTOO Team Room

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.
Hummingbird
1k Poster

Re: TimbukTOO Team Room

Post by Hummingbird » March 1st, 2012, 11:52 am

damselfly wrote: ANOTHER CHALLENGE?!?!?! Yikes. Well, if you insist. That should do it to get me to my million for the season. B)

Anyone have ideas other than for a map-trip-tracking-thingie useful for motivation and challenge interest? We're going to run out of globe before long...
Run out of globe? I'm one of the newbies to the affiliation (Nov 2011),so I've only done the trek we made across the US in January. I guess there were others I missed out on in previous years, :cry:. It was fun, but I imagine it was a lot of work for you...and I'm truly not trying to pluck any martyr strings you might have...oh all right, if everyone wants it, I'll do it again.... No, no, no, nothing like that...

That said, I enjoyed it so much that it sparked the idea that as a personal motivator I could row Le Tour de France ! It has been the motivator to get me rowing in the past couple of years, and last year, the motivation stuck and I haven't stopped. Yay! The icky detail is that if I'm going to get to Paris with everyone else by July 22nd, I'm going to need to start today; and even then, I might have left it too long: those guys sometimes ride in a day what I row in a month! Which means, I'm going to have to work out how you did it, Lisa... :? Watch out for a pitiful pleading PM asking for help :lol:

To help me get there more quickly, I was hoping that one or more of you who ride bikes could give me some guidance to equating kms cycled to kms rowed over a set time period. I know there are so many variables that affect the ratio, but I'm not attempting to enter the Guiness Book of Records here. I just need some idea, e.g. 1 k rowing = 3 k cycling. The more results I get, the better average I can get. Any takers? Many thanks for those willing.

Heather.

Hummingbird
1k Poster

Post by Hummingbird » March 1st, 2012, 12:20 pm

Just opened my e-mail to find a promo for the World Erg Challenge; as inspiration to those still gasping from the January challenge, here's something to keep you posting those daily metres:

"We will be awarding .... 40 individuals ... a Concept2 Sports Bag filled with valuable workout goodies. Find complete challenge details at concept2.com/wec."

Normally, you get a sports bag after rowing a whopping 20 million metres. Lisa made it to the weekly winner page in the last challenge; let's hope a TimbukTooian gets one of these prizes (by which I mean me, of course :lol: ).

damselfly
Half Marathon Poster

Post by damselfly » March 1st, 2012, 1:08 pm

Well, I suppose we won't exactly run out of globe... But maybe folks can post ideas for routes. It has to be about a 6000 mile thing (assuming we'll perform a bit like last time). And unless we adapt some sort of scaling factor, or take a more circuitous route, that eats up quite a bit of mappage. I thought about river-trips in Europe (but even the Nile is only 4k miles), the Great Wall of China (5500 miles). I thought about a National Park tour. I was even thinking of using Google Moon and doing a moon-based trip -- make the Lunatics jealous! But the availability of pictures and facts may be kind of limited.

I feel most for our military guys -- two hard challenges in a row, then back for the World Erg Challenge. I'm beginning to think the folks at C2 have a wee bit o' the sadist in them... :twisted:
-- Lisa

Try not! Do, or do not! There is no "try". -- Yoda

60 Evo
Paddler

Post by 60 Evo » March 1st, 2012, 1:46 pm

Just a note to those who did the Military Challenge! It's important that you NOT leave your Military affiliation until Mar 4, when entries are closed. I'm embarrased to say I don't know his name, but one of your members was on the US Marine team and absolutely blew the rest of us away with well over 450,000. When I checked this morning, his meters are GONE from the team results. I know he's one of yours, so if you could contact him that would be great.

Thanks

Steve
60 Evo
Steve

64, 200 lbs, 5'9"

damselfly
Half Marathon Poster

Post by damselfly » March 1st, 2012, 1:52 pm

60 Evo wrote:Just a note to those who did the Military Challenge! It's important that you NOT leave your Military affiliation until Mar 4, when entries are closed. I'm embarrased to say I don't know his name, but one of your members was on the US Marine team and absolutely blew the rest of us away with well over 450,000. When I checked this morning, his meters are GONE from the team results. I know he's one of yours, so if you could contact him that would be great.

Thanks

Steve
60 Evo
That would be our David W..... I'll PM him if I can...

ETA: Sent him a message. Well done all of you in the challenge, and I don't envy ANYONE up against David!!
-- Lisa

bcurry
500m Poster

Post by bcurry » March 1st, 2012, 2:31 pm

Hello Team. I just signed up for the Affiliation and thought I'd drop in and introduce myself.

My name is Brent Curry currently residing in San Diego, CA. I've had my erg for about 2-3 years but it mostly gathered dust. I have one of more recent older models (C i think?) with the PM3. I don't have a history with rowing, it is fairly new to me, I just like the full body workout aspect and that it is low-impact.

So not only did a New Year roll around with a new commitment to getting back in shape but I was also laid off at the end of 2011 so exercise is not only for my health but to get my energy levels up, keep my mood boosted with endorphins and to come across more enthusiastic as I get back in to interviewing (it's been 12 years since my last job change). I've been doing pretty good these past few weeks and I am looking forward to the coming Challenges!

Thanks for the warm welcome in my 'seeking' post.

p.s. I've signed up for the Affiliation but when I go to my logbook to sign up for the Challenge team at 'logbook/teams/Join A team' I don't see any Timbuk teams listed. is it by invite only?
<<Brent>>

glenmbaker
1k Poster

Post by glenmbaker » March 1st, 2012, 3:22 pm

Izzzmeister wrote: Yes, with a combination of daily rows improving by 15s each, instant coffee plus a microwave, in 75 days you can go back in time!
Yeah, but I can't find either my flux capacitor or my oscillation overthruster. And why is everybody named John?

damselfly
Half Marathon Poster

Post by damselfly » March 1st, 2012, 4:58 pm

glenmbaker wrote:
Izzzmeister wrote: Yes, with a combination of daily rows improving by 15s each, instant coffee plus a microwave, in 75 days you can go back in time!
Yeah, but I can't find either my flux capacitor or my oscillation overthruster. And why is everybody named John?
I think some of our teammates are going quickly off the deep end!!! :o :o :o

Welcome Brent!!! So glad you've chosen our little team. :D :D We have lots of fun, and I hope you find a great home here. It really is motivating to have a group of like-minded rowers. We goof around a lot but are dedicated to getting fit and staying healthy! Rowing sure does help de-stress... Best wishes in the job search, as well.

Also, I adore your avatar. You'll fit right in. :)

Sho 'nuff, I just looked at the teams and we don't show up in the list. I'll hoist the signal flags and alert the Cap'n. He has some special powers in the system we lowly crew are kept from, lest we mutiny!! :lol: :lol:
-- Lisa

CONLEJM
2k Poster

Post by CONLEJM » March 1st, 2012, 8:58 pm

Welcome aboard Brent! You've joined a fun crew and we're glad to have you aboard!

damselfly
Half Marathon Poster

Post by damselfly » March 1st, 2012, 11:33 pm

Our intrepid Cap'n has vanquished the evil website demons from the deep, and our team has reappeared on the list for selection. Hip, Hip, Huzzah!!!!

We're also registered now for the WEC, so all you TimBukTWO crew-members need to go to your team page and click the link to confirm that you're "in" for the challenge. If you're successful, you'll see yourself on the challenge team roster here.
-- Lisa

MPatton
Paddler

Post by MPatton » March 2nd, 2012, 12:25 pm

Given the fact that I have been doing a lot of other training (and getting pretty good results so far) my numbers have dwindled a bit around here. That, with the fact that I only have access to an erg at the gym, means that I am out of the march madness challenge from the very start. I just can not go to the gym every single day given their hours on the weekends... SO I am looking forward to the WEC, I plan to get to the gym a bit earlier in the mornings so that I can try and have at least a half hour on the erg after my standard workout.

We will see how far I am able to push this, however my training for the warrior dash comes first. I got people watching my training on that since I am raising money for St Jude Children's hospital for the race.

glenmbaker
1k Poster

Post by glenmbaker » March 2nd, 2012, 2:54 pm

damselfly wrote:click the link to confirm that you're "in" for the challenge. If you're successful, you'll see yourself on the challenge team roster here.
Dang it...Jim beat me AGAIN! Here I thought I had a chance to be ahead of him...at least until the race started.

damselfly
Half Marathon Poster

Post by damselfly » March 2nd, 2012, 5:10 pm

MPatton wrote:We will see how far I am able to push this, however my training for the warrior dash comes first. I got people watching my training on that since I am raising money for St Jude Children's hospital for the race.
A worthy cause! Is there a website where we can sponsor you if we want?
-- Lisa

MPatton
Paddler

Post by MPatton » March 2nd, 2012, 5:33 pm

There is a website. I just was not sure about any policies concerning such things so I didn't post it.

I will have to find out the rules on that, until then I think I am safe giving people the info if it is in a PM form. So, if you want said info, please feel free to shoot me a PM on it :)

EDIT

Alright, I have gotten the ok to post the site. Http://www.mystjudeevent.org/mpatton Any help is appreciated of course though not required :) I am getting close to half way through my goal.

CONLEJM
2k Poster

Post by CONLEJM » March 2nd, 2012, 7:44 pm

glenmbaker wrote:Dang it...Jim beat me AGAIN! Here I thought I had a chance to be ahead of him...at least until the race started.
Glen, this may be your month! I am laying here with a heating pad under my back. I have either a pinched nerve or a pulled sumpthin' or other, and I stubbornly kept on rowing even though it was bothering me for several days. :oops: Now I finally learned my lesson. Hopefully by Monday I'll be back in the saddle again.

When each of my four kids were small I'd have them walk on my back and that would always pop things back into place, but now ... they're all too big; :( they'd probably break my back!