LUNA-TICS TEAM ROOM: Year-round "Looney" fun.

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.

Can this one team row to the moon and back?

Poll ended at May 17th, 2008, 12:28 pm

I think we can do it together. I'm all in!
85%
No way! You all are wacko!
15%

Total votes: 54

Dave_H
2k Poster

Re: Blue Moon

Post by Dave_H » December 31st, 2009, 1:47 am

Kona2 wrote:Image Blue Moon Time!
gjmiller wrote:Tomorrow I'm going to try the Blue Moon Challenge, very appropriate for this team, although it's more than twice what I've ever done before in one day.

Gloria, you will probably find that you row more than you ever dreamed you would....it seems to happen with this team! Just take it a meter at a time!

And Happy New Year ....fireworks over Sydney Harbor !!

Not quite yet (about 7 and a half hours to go...) however in keeping with the Blue Moon challenge, the Sydney fireworksare meant to have a blue theme tonight too!

Going out to see a musical now, have a great evening everyone!!

Cheers,
Dave

Kona2
Marathon Poster

All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 12.30.09

Post by Kona2 » December 31st, 2009, 12:24 pm

Image Blue Moon Challenge....we're on the boards!

Congratulations to our first Blue Moonies:

Bart
Baz
Peter H
Dave

And welcome Image new crew members: Greg C and Karon B! Already members of the challenge team, they've elected to be part of the year round team as well. I'll put the team history and some explanations of our unique distance awards at the bottom of this post. And thanks for joining us on our journey to the moon!

Season meters as of 244/365 = 74,376,852 m

Total meters on the day = 593,943 m

Oars in space (participation) = 21 percent

MILESTONES...Bragging Rights....Celebrations: blue for blue moon today

3.9 MM Will S
2.6 MM Baz
Image Barbara with half marathon/moon # 125 with 25,191 m
Image Will S with a half moon and 22,655 m

FOUR Million Meter Watch:

Image Minnie, creating in the candy bin again (who knew she had a secret mountain candy laboratory!), decides to wait on crossing the four million meter season mark....and still has (16,265 m) to go!

Will S with (89,153 m) to go!

TWO Million Meter Watch:

Ted with (100,390 m) to go!

Jim with (104,545 m) to go!

Peter H with (146,539 m) to go! Some say he has earned 41K in the blue moon challenge....so he may have less to go to 2 MM than this!

ONE Million Meter Watch:

Kenneth G with (88,303 m) to go!

Mike C with (114,564 m) to go!

And a hearty thanks for meters well done to all today's crew - we're going to the moon!

Tony ImageImageImageImage
Rich 5,000 m
Teresa 6,289 m
Jack 6,666 m :D
Bish 7,300 m - wowzer...good row
Rick 10,000 m
Steven L 10,000 m
Dave H 10,000 m
Mitch 13,510 m
Darryl 14,814 m
Jim 15,028 m
Ted 18,000 m
Baz 18,032 m
Bart 20,000 m
Peter H 20,244 m
Will S 22,655 m
Barbara 25,191 m
Karon 29,260 m
Greg 338,621 m

Row strong for your Blue Moon Challenge meters - for tomorrow we go:

(thanks photobucket for the graphics)

Luna-Tics Distance Awards

A word or two of explanation for those perusing the team forum:

Image a supernova designates that the individual has rowed the equivalent of 100,000 m in a 24 hr period (yep....we have one who does this)
Image a red giant designates that the individual has rowed the equivalent or more of 50,000 m in a 24 hr period
Imagea full moon designates that the individual has rowed the equivalent or more of a full marathon 42,195 m in a 24 hr period
Image a half moon designates that the individual has rowed the equivalent or more of a half marathon 21,097 m in a 24 hr period
half or full marathons are completed in one sitting

Luna-Tics Team History:

Keep in mind that a person's meters will "follow" them if they change teams, so if someone was on the LUNA-TICS team in 2003 and they changed teams after that, their picture and meters do not still show up in the LUNA-TICS stats for 2003. Likewise, if a person was recording meters in their logbook in any year, and they only recently joined the LUNA-TICS, their profile and meters will be showing up as a LUNA-TICS team member for each year that they have logged meters, even if they did not belong to any team in those years. So these stats are only partially reflective of the actual team mates, numbers and meters for each year.

2003 - Virtual Teams instituted by C2. Matt Forsbacka, being slightly influenced by his work for NASA founds the LUNA-TICS year-round team. His goal? To row to the moon. Calling all hands...Calling all hands...
The year end stats show 7 team mates, and the team placing #72 out of 1437 teams that year. Total team meters: 3,874,123.

2004 - The year end stats show 11 team mates and the team placing #94 out of 1233 teams in existence that year. Total team meters: 4,500,044.

2005 - The year end stats show 15 team mates and the team placing #71 out of 1211 teams in existence that year. Total team meters: 8,321,188.

2006 - The year end stats show 19 team mates and the team placing #72 out of 1066 teams in existence that year. Total team meters: 8,507,331.

2007 - Formation of the LUNA-TICS challenge team by Kristine Strasburger. The year end stats show 25 team mates and the team placing #47 out of 1137 teams in existence that year. Total team meters: 14,265,122.

2008 - Challenge team captain discovers the C2 forum, and begins team recruiting efforts for the Holiday Challenge. LUNA-TICS Team Room on the forum established. The year end stats show 59 team mates and the team placing #11 out of 1234 teams in existence that year. Total team meters: 48,110,121.

2009 – Team forum pages grow into the 200’s; 92K + views of pages. Team looks like it is going to finish the year with 81 teammates and the team placing # 6 out of 1475 teams in existence. Total team meters will be in excess of 85 MM –meters per team member average is over 1 MM.

I think these stats prove that the forum participation is a huge factor in helping people achieve their goals, and in setting goals they never thought possible. Everyone is encouraged by sharing our lives with one another, so thanks again to all of you for taking the time out of your day to visit with us here. You never know whose life you are affecting in a positive way with your presence and words.

Kona2
Marathon Poster

More Blue Moonies

Post by Kona2 » December 31st, 2009, 12:39 pm

Image Blue Moon Challenge....more on the boards!

Congratulations - newest Blue Moonies:

Steve O
Ted
Darryl

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Post by Kona2 » December 31st, 2009, 1:59 pm

Congratulations - newest Blue Moonies: NINE .... 9 ....

Steve L
Ian

DUCKMARX
1k Poster

New Year's Eve

Post by DUCKMARX » December 31st, 2009, 2:33 pm

Jane,

Chris tells me you are bartending the virtual luna-tic bar.

I'll have a jigger of Caol Ila if you have a bottle. My son gave me some for Christmas and it has an unforgettable flavor.

thanks.

AJ

nl07695
1k Poster

Re: All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 12.30.09

Post by nl07695 » December 31st, 2009, 3:35 pm

Kona2 wrote:
Peter H with (146,539 m) to go! Some say he has earned 41K in the blue moon challenge....so he may have less to go to 2 MM than this!
WoW really I did that much??? Sorry but Jane hasn't even served the Horny Margaritas yet and I'm already drunk entering the numbers. Today was only 10244m So when you miss this 10k tomorrow in the HM I was sober enough to correct it. Still have to figure out why his additional HM is on the Blue moon board....

Kona2
Marathon Poster

More Blue Moonies

Post by Kona2 » December 31st, 2009, 4:04 pm

Woohoo! This is what it's all about!

Congratulations - newest Blue Moonies: 12 Total

Teresa
Rick

And......drum rolllllllll for her longest rows ever.....and completion of FIRST Concept2 challenge....

Gloria Miller New Berlin WI USA LUNA-TICS 10035

Wowzer, Coach Rich hasn't even entered his meters yet and Gloria's on the boards!

Gyrodon
Paddler

Post by Gyrodon » December 31st, 2009, 4:23 pm

Oh Oh. Coach Rich better finish his nap and do his second 5000. :shock:

gjmiller
Paddler

Post by gjmiller » December 31st, 2009, 4:25 pm

Thrilled to finish my first challenge. A little scared to see how addictive rowing longer distances can be...that darn machine seems to be calling me! :o

Calamity
1k Poster

Drink Orders are up

Post by Calamity » December 31st, 2009, 4:36 pm

OK Folks – time for your beverage of choice on the way to the moon and 2010. First up, those who requested beer:

We have two requests for Black and Tans –one for Baz and one for Barb. Here is what the replicator says:

To prepare a Black and Tan in the American way, first fill a glass halfway with the ale, then add the Guinness Draught (from the can, bottle, or tap). The top layer is best poured slowly over an upside-down tablespoon placed over the glass to avoid splashing and mixing the layers. A specially designed black-and-tan spoon is bent in the middle so that it can balance on the edge of the pint-glass for easier pouring.

Baz has requested a Cooper Stout, which is described as follows:
Now here's a beer with punch!
Coopers Best Extra Stout is a beacon for lovers of a hearty brew. With its robust flavour it is everything a stout should be. Brewed naturally using a top fermentation method, Coopers Stout's unique rich, dark texture comes from specially roasted black malt. Coopers Best Extra Stout contains no additives and no preservatives.

Not to be outdone in the beer department, Dan and Moose have both ordered beer from New Glarus Brewery. For Dan, it’s Spotted Cow:

Cask conditioned ale has been the popular choice among brews since long before prohibition. We continue this pioneer spirit with our Wisconsin farmhouse ale. Brewed with flaked barley and the finest Wisconsin malts. We even give a nod to our farmers with a little hint of corn. 

Naturally cloudy we allow the yeast to remain in the bottle to enhance fullness of flavors, which cannot be duplicated otherwise. 

Expect this ale to be fun, fruity and satisfying. You know you're in Wisconsin when you see the Spotted Cow.

For Moose it is the now illusive - New Glarus Ilf Da Bock

Here is a Bock brewed to appease the Gods of Winter. Hearty and full-bodied this is a "Big" bier. Brewed in the Reinheitsgebot tradition, our Bock comes by its mahogany hue naturally. You can expect this bier to be complex and smooth with deep chocolate and coffee undertones, complementing the rich bouquet. No matter if you choose to enjoy our Bock before, during or after dinner, remember to serve at about 48°F. Because like many good things in life... the warmer Bock is, the sweeter it gets.

And Debbie rounds out the beer requests with a Samual Smith’s Oatmeal Stout:
Originally a drink for lactating mothers, oatmeal stout was described as nutritional on early labels. Oats are in the same family as barley, and a small addition yields great flavor. Popular in the late 1800’s, the last oatmeal stout was brewed before the First World War until Samuel Smith reintroduced this style in 1980. Almost opaque, with an unusually silky texture and complex, medium-dry velvet palate. Bittersweet finish.

We have three whiskey and scotch drinkers in the group: Karyn with a whiskey sour, Dave with scotch and water and AJ who likes it neat.

Karyn’s choice: Knappogue Castle Irish Whiskey is the ONLY vintage dated single malt Irish Whiskey. The 1995 is the latest vintage in this award-winning series of Irish single malts. It was distilled in 1995 using copper pot stills and bottled in 2008, after aging for 13 years in bourbon barrels. Unlike single malt Scotch, no peat is used in the drying of the malt. Knappogue is lightly chill filtered and, unlike many whiskeys, no artificial coloring is added. The result in a unique, clean, and mellow flavor that varies from vintage to vintage. Begin your journey of discovery with the Knappogue 1995 vintage. Follow your passion. Discover Knappogue.

Dave’s choice: Dark intense Lagavulin (pronounced Laga-voolin after the Gaelic Laggan Mhouillin, “the hollow where the mill is”) comes from a whitewashed jumble of buildings by the sea on Islay’s rocky southern shore. Founded in 1816, this is a great Islay malt. Pungent and potent, with richly peaty, deep, smoky flavor, it has an intense, long, ambrosial finish.

AJs selection is Caol Ila: Strength: 43% ABV Appearance: Pale straw. Nose: Subdued, citric fruitiness; a whiff of bath oil and dentist's mouthwash. A fresh and appetising nose, with little or no trace of smoke. A little water raises almond oil and old-fashioned oilskins; still a fresh fruitiness (lychees?), a trace of olive oil, and after a while pot pourri or scented hand-soap. Body: Firm, smooth, light to medium. Palate: Drinks well at natural strength; sweet start; pleasant, light fragrant smokiness and a lengthy finish. Smooth, pleasant mouth-feel; with water light acidity, some salt and still the sweeter notes. A complex balance of primary tastes. Finish: Sweet smokiness in the lingering, slightly sour finish

And now for what Debbie would call the foo-foo drinks.

Chris has requested a Kir Royale, made with 1 part creme de cassis and
5 parts Champagne. Here is some history about the Kir:
Kir is a popular French cocktail made with a measure of crème de cassis (blackcurrant liquor) topped up with white wine. The Royale version is made with Champaign.
Originally called blanc-cassis, the drink is now named after Félix Kir (1876 - 1968), mayor of Dijon in Burgundy, who as a pioneer of the twinning movement in the aftermath of the Second World War popularized the drink by offering it at receptions to visiting delegations. Besides treating his international guests well, he was also promoting two vital economic products of the region. According to Rolland (2004), [1] the reinvention of blanc-cassis (post 1945) was necessitated by the German Army's confiscation of all the local red Burgundy during the war. Faced with an excess of white wine, Kir renovated a drink that previously was made primarily with the red.

Our newly weds Lilia and Peter credit a horny margarita with giving them the courage to commit:

Horny Margarita
kosher salt
1-1/2 ounces Sauza Hornitos reposado tequila
1 ounce Cointreau juice of half a lime
3 ounces sweet-and-sour mix lime wheel Rim a margarita glass with salt. Pour the tequila, Cointreau, lime juice, and sweet-and-sour mix into a blender with a cup of ice and blend. Pour into the glass and garnish with the lime wheel.

In Tequila: Panegyric and Emblem, the Mexican poet Alvaro Mutis wrote:
Tequila has no history;
there are no anecdotes confirming its birth. 

This is how it’s been since the beginning of time,
for tequila is a gift from the gods

and they don’t tend to offer fables when bestowing favors.

That is the job of mortals, the children of panic and tradition.

Now two of us have alcoholic and non-alcoholic choices. Jan has requested a club soda and lime or a cosmopolitan. Jane wants either a tonic and lime or a pineapple upsidedown cake: Recipes as follows
Cosmopolitan Cocktail recipe
Serve in a Cocktail Glass
Scale ingredients to 1 servings
1 oz vodka
1/2 oz triple sec
1/2 oz Rose's® lime juice
1/2 oz cranberry juice

Shake vodka, triple sec, lime and cranberry juice vigorously in a shaker with ice. Strain into a martini glass, garnish with a lime wedge on the rim, and serve.

Pineapple upside down cake
2 oz. vanilla vodka 
1 oz. vanilla liqueur 
1 oz. pineapple juice 
1 oz. grenadine Maraschino cherry for garnish

Speaking of Desserts, here is a Mud Slide for Kristine. I know of both alcoholic and non-alcoholic recipes. I am guessing anyone who actually throws the pie into the blender is having the alcoholic one:
1 oz vodka
1 oz Kahlua® coffee liqueur
1 oz Bailey's® Irish cream
1 oz cream

Shake all ingredients with ice and pour over ice in an old-fashioned glass.

In our designated rowing version, we have a need for milk. Four gourmet hot chocolates for the Newall-Vuillemot children. Gourmet hot chocolate includes real milk, whipped cream, marshmallows, chocolate chips and sprinkles.
Mitch would like a tall cold chocolate milk.

Tomo requests an orange Fanta.

All for now from Ten Forward. Tip your bartender.
If you seek peace in 2010, be peace to all you meet.
Guinan – aka Jane

PS Exercise is a hangover cure.

just27
10k Poster

Re: Drink Orders are up

Post by just27 » December 31st, 2009, 4:46 pm

Calamity wrote:All for now from Ten Forward. Tip your bartender.
If you seek peace in 2010, be peace to all you meet.
Guinan – aka Jane. PS Exercise is a hangover cure.
Nice bartending, Guinan ... your tip is under the second coaster from the left ... be careful where Darryl has spilled his beer.

Chris 27 (proud foo-foo drinker, but in awe of anyone putting a slice of pie in their mixed drink)

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Post by Kona2 » December 31st, 2009, 5:51 pm

Congratulations - newest Blue Moonies: 17 on the boards

Barbara
K2
Rich
Jim
Karon - and this might just be her first Concept2 challenge also!

And great work by the virtual bartender Jane! Very wise to provide us the history behind the drinks BEFORE we are at time to consume them!

bg
Half Marathon Poster

Post by bg » December 31st, 2009, 6:04 pm

gjmiller wrote:Thrilled to finish my first challenge. A little scared to see how addictive rowing longer distances can be...that darn machine seems to be calling me! :o
congrats on your first challenge and yes it is addictive....and welcome to the new folks...and thanks to guinan our bartender...and happy new year everyone......

BAZzy
6k Poster

Post by BAZzy » December 31st, 2009, 7:04 pm

Happy New Year boys & girls.......

Jane...you are an oarsome bartender! I must confess to washing the stout down with a 'dark & stormy' - Bundaberg Rum & Ginger Beer.......if you make it to Sydney again I'd be only too happy to share a pint at the Lord Nelson with you...

And how was Syd-a-ney's fireworks!! B)

Slow start to the day in our household....but the ERG beckons................bring on the team challenge..

and Kona2...yes I did slip a birthday through a week or so ago........bit of a milestone one..... :P

Good luck
BBB & Tomo
"Those who don't think it can be done shouldn't bother the person doing it..."
www.thelandy.com

DuluthMoose
5k Poster

Party

Post by DuluthMoose » December 31st, 2009, 7:52 pm

Happy New Year Luna-Tics! I'm saying that now since there's no way I'll be awake at midnight..... Tomorrow starts a month long challenge and I need to be ready to start first thing in the morning!

Jane - Exceptional bar tending! You've really come through for us!
Chris - You scared me for a second! Spilling the last Uff Da would be cause to cry in your beer. The dark colored spill you see must be just some snow melting off some walnut limbs I brought in for a fire in the fireplace.

For fun today on the Blue Moon challenge I set one of my rows for 5K and went for it. I've never done a 5K ranking row before. I did OK with a 19min 30.2 sec row. But you can also make a case it was a pb by default.
Moose