LUNA-TICS TEAM ROOM: Year-round "Looney" fun.

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.

Can this one team row to the moon and back?

Poll ended at May 17th, 2008, 12:28 pm

I think we can do it together. I'm all in!
85%
No way! You all are wacko!
15%

Total votes: 54

marypat
Paddler

Post by marypat » May 17th, 2008, 9:13 pm

Hi Fellow Luna-Tics

Today marks one year of rowing for me--1,958,153 meters! I am lighter, stronger, and more flexible than I was when I did my first row of less than 700 meters. I wish I had bought my erg sooner (maybe 20 years?).

The team party got me visiting the team room. What a blast! I am starting to feel like I know some of you and the support is outstanding.

Mary

Thanks to those of you who sent congrats for my 100K this season.
Kristine, the doves and the lofts are magnificent!

Toothdoc
10k Poster

Post by Toothdoc » May 17th, 2008, 10:51 pm

just27 wrote:
DuluthMoose wrote:
Toothdoc wrote:How about you and I team up in the Adirondack 90 miler this fall?. Dan
Thirteen years ago I had a fall on the last day of a 9 day trip, with a canoe and pack on my back (120 lbs) that resulted in a broken elbow out in the middle of nowhere. My canoeing partner (wife) had to paddle us out the last 15 miles with luckily only 2 portages with no paddling help from me to get me to the doctor's office and rescue me.
I think I saw that movie ... that was you, Darryl!? B)
Chris
You not talkin' about the Squeal like a pig movie are you?

dc
Last edited by Toothdoc on May 17th, 2008, 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DUCKMARX
1k Poster

Re: All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 5.16.08

Post by DUCKMARX » May 17th, 2008, 11:12 pm

JAN WROTE:

HM? Barbara, AJ?

DAN WROTE:

AJ is this your first HM or did I miss it? Anyway congrats.

Jan and Dan, thanks for noticing the numbers, but still no HM . . . not in shape to do one yet . . . meanwhile just drafting off Chris' ERG who is either looking at movies or rowing . . . Oops . . . now she is doing both at the same time :D

Toothdoc
10k Poster

Re: All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 5.16.08

Post by Toothdoc » May 17th, 2008, 11:15 pm

DUCKMARX wrote:JAN WROTE:

HM? Barbara, AJ?

DAN WROTE:

AJ is this your first HM or did I miss it? Anyway congrats.

Jan and Dan, thanks for noticing the numbers, but still no HM . . . not in shape to do one yet . . . meanwhile just drafting off Chris' ERG who is either looking at movies or rowing . . . Oops . . . now she is doing both at the same time :D
AJ

Ya gotta watch that Chris, she's a sneaky one for sure. And, also a multi-tasker.

Dan

acrewer
2k Poster

Post by acrewer » May 18th, 2008, 12:18 am

marypat wrote:Hi Fellow Luna-Tics

The team party got me visiting the team room. What a blast! I am starting to feel like I know some of you and the support is outstanding.

Mary
Mary - come back and visit more, we'd like to get to know you as well and most of us don't bite! (toothdoc makes sure of that :lol: )

Chris -

The 1000 m is even worse, and that is all they would let women row in the 1970's. (Can it really be 30 years since my first regattas? ) Basically the 1000 m was a sprint. As a senior in Oct 1979, I got to row in the Head of the Estuary in Oakland, a 5000 m course. I had so much fun in the 4, coach put me in the 8 at the last minute! Now that I think about it I rowed almost a 1/2 marathon that day - 5K to the starting line in the 4, 5K race, 5K back to the starting line in the 8, 5k race. Total =20K.

Now I just have to block out enough time to row it on my erg.

Gina

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Woohoo! The First Year!

Post by Kona2 » May 18th, 2008, 12:19 am

Marypat - Congrats on the one year anniversary - and the super accomplishment of 2 MM meters! Your stories and comments are very welcome in this forum - I hope you continue to post!

This team room is an eclectic combination for certain - perhaps because we have dual goals of reaching for the moon as well as rowing. The power of the forum for me:

Getting to the first million meters - at least four years (rowing only at Holiday challenges)

Getting to the second million meters - two years (Dec 2007)

Third million - (as soon as I knock off this last 20K..) 5 months.

The only difference was the team participation. Go figure!

just27
10k Poster

Post by just27 » May 18th, 2008, 1:59 am

Toothdoc wrote:
just27 wrote:I think I saw that movie ... that was you, Darryl!? Chris
You not talkin' about the Squeal like a pig movie are you? dc
Dan: no pigs. Banjos, maybe ... :shock:

Jan: only 20K to your third million? Be sure to post that one for us to applaud! (Jan and Dan ... back to the surfin' music.)

Gina: I dunno about 1000m being worse than 2000m. I find the 1K is just "go for it," whereas the 2K has a brick wall in the middle, for me. (Maybe because I never train sprints ... it's quite the shock to my system.) Image

Mary: you really can't beat "lighter, stronger, and more flexible than before!" Good for you.
Barbara: You are a dynamo! Image

Kristine: ditto on everyone's kudos re the gorgeous doves and lofts. I thought the doves were faux when I first saw the pix.

Ex-pats: Dave brought me back a large bottle of Pimms from London. When the temp hit 103 today, a pitcher of Pimms was perfect!

AJ: Are you ready to take Goldie for a walk?
Chris (stream of consciousness!)

acrewer
2k Poster

Post by acrewer » May 18th, 2008, 2:07 am

Chris - you do realize that the Pimms #1 cup is THE DRINK at The Henley Royal Regatta!

The 1000 is a sprint, the 2000 will cause a brick wall if you don't pace - a fast 500 start, 1000 at about 80% with power 10's thrown in and then sprint the last 500. Although on the erg, a fast start isn't necessary to get momentum going, like in an 8!

I wish I could rig up my workout area to watch movies and row.

Gina

just27
10k Poster

Post by just27 » May 18th, 2008, 2:55 am

acrewer wrote:...do you realize that the Pimms #1 cup is THE DRINK at The Henley Royal Regatta! Gina
Didn't know that, but found this image on the hrr.co.uk website (Henley Royal Regatta Gifts 2008): "The Pimms Bar" oil on canvas by Sherree Valentine Daines. Nice.

What's a power 10?
Chris

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Today's Post Will Be Delayed

Post by Kona2 » May 18th, 2008, 7:06 am

Hey everyone,

I've got a bike event this morning (CCBT - Community Classic Bike Tour of Loveland) so I've captured the numbers, and will post the daily ERG later in the day! It's an hour drive up to Loveland so I gotta hit the road!

Later!

just27
10k Poster

Re: Today's Post Will Be Delayed

Post by just27 » May 18th, 2008, 2:04 pm

Kona2 wrote:I've got a bike event this morning (CCBT - Community Classic Bike Tour of Loveland) ...
Which distance did you do? The 62 miles?? :shock:

Kona2
Marathon Poster

All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 5.17.08

Post by Kona2 » May 18th, 2008, 4:31 pm

A "dusting" of snow on the Rockies (actually we haven't melted them yet).....this was the backdrop for today's ride! And it was the 37 mile version - I thought about the metric century, but would have needed to get there to start at 6:30 am. Just couldn't do that - I don't sleepbike very well.

Two (no make that 3) signs along the way that I found interesting in some form or another:

1. A street sign: John Galt Rd. Would John Galt have named his street??? Isn't he the guy with the mystery location in Atlas Shrugged?
2. A sign by a stone wall: Stonewalls by Jackson
3. A coffee house: Circle Moon Coffee House (if anyone sees a sign with a moon in it, take a photo - I think we should use them here!)

But I digress.

Season meters as of 17/365 = 2,663,597 m

Total meters on the day = 132,939 m

34 percent of our oars in the water!

ImageImage

Half Marathon Alert!

Milestones:

Half Marathon = Dan (9 on the year)
Half Marathon = Chris (4 on the year)

And thanks to today's rowers for moving us into #7 (at least this morning):

Dan 24,537 m
Chris 21,097 m
Barbara 16,467 m
Darryl 14,089 m
AJ 12,113 m
Steven 10,000 m
Tim 10,000 m
Peter G 8,500 m
Mary 7,243 m
Tony 6,452 m
Rowin 2,441 m

bg
Half Marathon Poster

disorganized as usual...trying to catch up...

Post by bg » May 18th, 2008, 4:33 pm

a belated happy one year mary.....

hope your ride went well jan...you are soooo nice to let us know that you'll be posting the stats later.....

come on celtics.

barbara

just27
10k Poster

Re: All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 5.17.08

Post by just27 » May 18th, 2008, 5:26 pm

Kona2 wrote: ... A street sign: John Galt Rd. Would John Galt have named his street??? Isn't he the guy with the mystery location in Atlas Shrugged?
Love that book. Galt's Gulch was inspired by Ouray, CO ... was the street sign pointing that way? (Knowing nada about Colorado ... )

Thirty seven miles ... way to X-train! Do you wear one of those cute fluorescent shirts?

Chris

Toothdoc
10k Poster

Re: disorganized as usual...trying to catch up...

Post by Toothdoc » May 18th, 2008, 6:56 pm

bg wrote:a belated happy one year mary.....

hope your ride went well jan...you are soooo nice to let us know that you'll be posting the stats later.....

come on celtics.

barbara
I'm nominating Paul Pierce for Prez

Dan