LUNA-TICS TEAM ROOM: Year-round "Looney" fun.

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.

Can this one team row to the moon and back?

Poll ended at May 17th, 2008, 12:28 pm

I think we can do it together. I'm all in!
85%
No way! You all are wacko!
15%

Total votes: 54

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » April 30th, 2008, 11:43 pm

One final cheer to all of you!!

Here's to May 1st and a new rowing season!!

Pat
B)
[img]http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/lockaroundmyheart/Not%20Real%20Pictures/Animations/diddle-1.gif[/img]

Toothdoc
10k Poster

Re: Next season's team room?

Post by Toothdoc » May 1st, 2008, 8:48 am

Kona2 wrote:Hey all,

I will ask about the next season's team room location. If it were me, I would archive this one (accessible to all - just can't post there).

One recommendation I have is to keep a single team room instead of making a JVC team room, a NARC team room, etc., but that's just my thoughts.
Jan,

I like the idea of one room. It would make it simpler for you to update and for me to keep track of.

Any thing to make your life easier is good by me.

Dan

Kona2
Marathon Poster

All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress thru 4.30.08

Post by Kona2 » May 1st, 2008, 9:58 am

And, for the season finale!Image

End of season meters = 48,110,121 m

Total meters on the party day = 103,653 m

Average meters per team member = 815,426 m

22 percent of our oars were in the waters of space!

Milestones!

1 MM - Kristine
1 MM - Andrea! Way to finish out your million!
Full Marathon - Kristine

And today's rowing stars are:

Kristine 42,195 m
Lisa 10,012 m
AJ 8,000 m
Steven 7,062 m
Tony 6,424 m
Dan 6,122 m
BJ 6,025 m
Rowin 5,500 m
Andrea 5,019 m
Peter G 5,000 m
Joe 2,018 m
Princess Anais 140 m
Orion 136 m

It's a wrap!

DuluthMoose
5k Poster

Post by DuluthMoose » May 1st, 2008, 1:27 pm

Happy New (Rowing) Year!

and Congratulations Kristine on that final day super effort! I don't know how you guys that do full marathons can stand to do it!! Well done!

looking back:
great team mates - just as loony as I am!;
excellent team spirit - you are all winners! Thanks for a great season!;
great runs in the JVC and NARC;
over 48 million meters! thats about 29,000 miles closer to the moon,
thanks captain Kristine for your leadership,
and thanks Kona2 for the hours and hours of record keeping you've done and that being first thing in the morning, every morning! Well done!

looking ahead:
we've got a long way to go to get to the moon;
look out Timbuk2 and Team Canada;
There were 7 - two million meter seasons in our ranks last year. I'll predict 3 - three million meter seasons and 12 - two million meter seasons in the new year.
My own goals: row strong when I can. At the end of the year be in the 7,500 to 10,000 daily meters honor board.

Best of luck to all in the New Year! Darryl

Kristine Strasburger
10k Poster

Post by Kristine Strasburger » May 1st, 2008, 3:14 pm

I can't believe it...even in the virtual world I am running late :D

I hope you all saved some chocolate and good food for me. My internet was down yesterday, so I couldn't drop on by for the party, but did manage to have enough bandwidth operating to get my meters logged to end the season. Whew!

Thanks for dropping by, Pat! Great to hear from you, as always.

Captain's Command Decision:
We are going to keep this Team Room running as our ongoing and only "One-Stop-Shopping" place to be a LUNA-TIC. As years and challenges come and go, this will be the place for us to hang out together. We will only archive this room (or portions of it) if C2 dictates we have to. I believe there is a richness in the history we are building with one another, and it is fun to look back through the postings once in awhile.

Word of Encouragement:
After finishing my marathon row yesterday, I can say that it did not hurt as bad (during or after) as the first one. I really think the first one is the worst one, so if you just get that one out of the way it will be better the next time. Not everyone is an endurance athlete. Some are built for speed. Some are not athletic at all. Everyone should feel great about just getting on the rower in the first place. Every day that you decide to do some exercise (whatever it may be) is a day that you have conquored your body's natural desire to do nothing, and that is a good thing (as long as you also remember to give your body some nothing days every now and then, too.)

Captain's Log: Yearbook entry.
This team experience has been truly amazing and a lot of fun. I never imagined that my accidental captaining of the LUNA-TICS for a team challenge would grow into something so fun and rewarding as what you all have made this team into. Apart from the time we all spend on this forum sharing our thoughts and our lives with each other, our C2 team affiliation is nothing more than an entry in a computer form. Every one of you who posts here, and even those team mates who have not posted, but keep on logging those meters every week, have made this team what it is. It is pretty amazing when you stop and think about it. So I just want to say "Thank you" to everyone here for becoming a part of my life in this way, and making exercise so much fun.

Recap of past team history:

Keep in mind that a person's meters will "follow" them if they change teams, so if someone was on the LUNA-TICS team in 2003 and they changed teams after that, their picture and meters do not still show up in the LUNA-TICS stats for 2003. Likewise, if a person was recording meters in their logbook in any year, and they only recently joined the LUNA-TICS, their profile and meters will be showing up as a LUNA-TICS team member for each year that they have logged meters, even if they did not belong to any team in those years. So these stats are only partially reflective of the actual team mates, numbers and meters for each year.

2003 - Virtual Teams instituted by C2. Matt Forsbacka, being slightly influenced by his work for NASA founds the LUNA-TICS year-round team. His goal? To row to the moon. Calling all hands...Calling all hands...
The year end stats show 7 team mates, and the team placing #72 out of 1437 teams that year. Total team meters: 3,874,123.

2004 - The year end stats show 11 team mates and the team placing #94 out of 1233 teams in existence that year. Total team meters: 4,500,044.

2005 - The year end stats show 15 team mates and the team placing #71 out of 1211 teams in existence that year. Total team meters: 8,321,188.

2006 - The year end stats show 19 team mates and the team placing #72 out of 1066 teams in existence that year. Total team meters: 8,507,331.

2007 - Formation of the LUNA-TICS challenge team by Kristine Strasburger. The year end stats show 25 team mates and the team placing #47 out of 1137 teams in existence that year. Total team meters: 14,265,122.

2008 - Challenge team captain discovers the C2 forum, and begins team recruiting efforts for the Holliday Challenge. LUNA-TICS Team Room on the forum established. The year end stats show 59 team mates and the team placing #11 out of 1234 teams in existence that year. Total team meters: 48,110,121.

I think these stats prove that the forum participation is a huge factor in helping people achieve their goals, and in setting goals they never thought possible. Everyone is encouraged by sharing our lives with one another, so thanks again to all of you for taking the time out of your day to visit with us here. You never know whose life you are affecting in a positive way with your presence and words.

Future Projections:
Apart from the obvious goal of shooting for the moon and beyond with you crazy people, I think it would be very cool to plan a special LUNA-TICS Team Party in real life every year at the C.R.A.S.H. B regatta. This is a real life competition open to all ages and abilities, and looks like it is a phenomenal experience.

I would love to establish a tradition that there is a LUNA-TICS team get-together for dinner the night before the competition. Anyone on the team who happens to be there that year can then plan to get together at a local restaurant for a Team party.

The competition is always at the end of February in Boston, so there is plenty of time to plan for it. It might provide that needed incentive to go ahead and give it a try, and it would make it even more fun to be there, knowing we had some fellow LUNA-TICS there to cheer us on. We might even start a new C2 tradition with this idea. Here is the link to read about this competiton: http://www.concept2.com/us/training/rac ... efault.asp

C2 has a free video of footage from one of these regattas, and it is very inspirational and motivational. One lady competitor on the video is in her mid-80's. The only age limit is for younger rowers.

I have never gone to one of these, but have always wanted to. Maybe next year could be the year.

Thanks for a great year, everyone!
☆~Kristine~☆

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Global Marathon Challenge Update: Final

Post by Kona2 » May 1st, 2008, 3:41 pm

Global Marathon Challenge: Luna-Tic Team Leader Board Final

Full MarathonImage

Dan
Barbara Image
Kristine

Half MarathonImage

Darryl
Dan
Chris (5)
Pat B
Kristine (2)
Tim (2)
Mitch
Andrea

Toothdoc
10k Poster

Team Challenge Page

Post by Toothdoc » May 1st, 2008, 3:53 pm

Is anyone else having trouble getting to the team page where our pictures are?

Dan

marypat
Paddler

Post by marypat » May 1st, 2008, 4:26 pm

Hi fellow Luna-tics!
Sorry I am a day late for the party.
I started rowing May 18, 2007 so my personal year is not yet over. I thought I could hit 2 million meters but I will have to wait a little longer for that milestone.
I love being part of the team and Kristine, you are a fabulous captain. Thanks for everything.
Happy rowing--on the rug or on the river!
Mary

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Woohoo! Another first!

Post by Kona2 » May 1st, 2008, 6:23 pm

We will celebrate your 2 million grandly regardless of when it occurs!

Good to hear from you!

Jan

DuluthMoose
5k Poster

Re: Team Challenge Page

Post by DuluthMoose » May 1st, 2008, 6:29 pm

Toothdoc wrote:Is anyone else having trouble getting to the team page where our pictures are?

Dan
I just was there (5:30PM CDT) routed through my logbook; quicklinks; University/Club Standings; Luna-Tics.

acrewer
2k Poster

Post by acrewer » May 1st, 2008, 11:32 pm

Here's to a new season!

After a week off due to time constraints, travel, and insect bites! I got back on the erg today. I found out how to be first in the rankings - row a rankable piece on 5/1!

I love being a part of this team. You were all there for me when my mom passed away. People I've never met in person - the internet is amazing.

I am looking forward to maintaining a position on the 5K board, reaching the 1 Million mark (ETA Mother's Day), and possibly a 2nd million.

Etes-vous pres? Partez! (how they used to start races back in my day!)

Gina

just27
10k Poster

Post by just27 » May 2nd, 2008, 2:18 am

Kristine Strasburger wrote:... I think it would be very cool to plan a LUNA-TICS Team Party in real life every year at the C.R.A.S.H. B regatta. I would love to establish a tradition of a LUNA-TICS team get-together for dinner the night before the competition ... which is always at the end of February in Boston. I have never gone to one of these, but have always wanted to. Maybe next year could be the year.
ImageOh, the thought of Boston in February is sooo tempting ... brrr! (However, the idea is percolating ... it would be so fun to meet any of you loons in real time. Also, the qualifying event in Sacramento is about 2 miles from my house!)

I was up late last night after dinner guests left, and considered waiting to see if the C2 numbers changed at midnight. (But thought that might be a bit OCD, so called it a wrap after reading the flurry of posts.)

Ahoy, Gina: je suis pret a partir ... virtual deep breath, and cheers to all.
Chris

bg
Half Marathon Poster

Post by bg » May 2nd, 2008, 7:48 am

'love that diry water......boston...your my home.....'

that's soo cooll that the crash b is in boston...i'm actually in somerville, on the boston boarder...near bu where the crash-b takes place...if it is the same as last year.....warning...i have no organizational skills.....also i will be marathon training then....

btw...looking at the site...i see the results but not how many meters the races are....and i'm confused about qualifiers.....

trying to figure out realistic goals for this year...

great rowing marathoners and half marathoners....

go celtics....

barbara

Kona2
Marathon Poster

All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress thru 5.01.08

Post by Kona2 » May 2nd, 2008, 9:28 am

And we're out of the starting gates!!!! ImageImageImage

I couldn't find our 2009 numbers this morning, and Pat M (our honorary team member) helped me out. Thanks, Pat! For now, the team standings can be accessed from your online log in page, select challenges (from the top bar), then university/team from that drop down menu. This may be what Dan was referring to yesterday also when he asked if anyone else was having trouble accessing the team standings page.

Season meters on the date = 146,686 m

Total meters on the day = 146,686 m

24 percent of oars in the virtual waters (we WERE partying the day before)

Milestones:Image

Dan - Half Marathon (and then some) Image

Today's rowing results brought to you by:

Dan 40,434 m
Peter G 17,000 m
Darryl 16,579 m
Chris 13,124 m
Barbara 10,101 m
Mary 7,242 m
Steven 7,117 m
Pat B 7,019 m
AJ 7,000 m
Gina 6,585 m
Tony 6,425 m
Tim 4,021 m
Tina 2,139 m
Steve 1,900 m
Last edited by Kona2 on May 2nd, 2008, 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Toothdoc
10k Poster

Re: All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress thru 5.01.08

Post by Toothdoc » May 2nd, 2008, 11:59 am

[quote="Kona2"]
Dan 40,434 m (does this include some meters from today, Dan?)
Peter G 17,000 m
Darryl 16,579 m
Chris 13,124 m
Barbara 10,101 m
Mary 7,242 m
Steven 7,117 m
Pat B 7,019 m
AJ 7,000 m
Gina 6,585 m
Tony 6,425 m
Tim 4,021 m
Tina 2,139 m