New to Rowing-Need Help!

Look here first for answers to common questions
Brendan Ashby

New to Rowing-Need Help!

Post by Brendan Ashby » April 14th, 2008, 10:40 pm

My wife recently bought me a concept2 rowing machine for my 37th birthday. I do weight training three times a week. I also want to row for 30 minutes every day. Should I row every day? Or should I row only on the days that I am not weight training? Thanks for your help.

Brendan

jmb
Paddler

Post by jmb » April 15th, 2008, 10:06 am

I'm also a relative newbie (just a shade younger than you), and have been rowing as often as I have the time. I typically do 30 minutes or a 6k, depending on my schedule. I don't get to do it *every* day, but I do my best and try not to skip more than one day in a row. I also workout with dumbbells, and have taken to doing that following my row, though I try to leave a day off in between weight training sessions even if I row in between. So far so good.

rwj0j0
Paddler

Post by rwj0j0 » April 15th, 2008, 2:14 pm

I think it depends on what your condition is.
You need to take off days every once and a while if you are training hard...

Cazneau
500m Poster

Depends on your goals

Post by Cazneau » April 20th, 2008, 8:52 am

Since you are already doing weight training, the rowing benefit for you will be mostly cardio/calorie burn. If you are trying to lose additional weight, the more you row, the faster you'll lose the weight. If you are motivated by achieving personal bests and competing against others, follow the Pete Plan or another training plan and keep pressing for a better time.

Wolkies
Paddler

Post by Wolkies » June 28th, 2008, 7:10 pm

Since you are already doing weight training, the rowing benefit for you will be mostly cardio/calorie burn.
I agree. If you are weight training 3x a week, it wouldnt be a good idea to "muscle-build" erg also. Days that you weight train, I would do just a light cardio workout on the erg, nothing major. However, if your muscles start to ache or strain, take a day off and rest-- never push it too hard to cause damage!

Wilbury
Paddler

Post by Wilbury » September 5th, 2008, 9:37 pm

I wouldn't recommend rowing everyday. It's important to remember how demanding this exercise is. Recovery is imperative to improvement. Five or six days out of seven is more than sufficient. Also, it is important to consider patience in developing the proper technique. I just surpassed the 10 million meter mark, and I'm pretty sure the first 9.5 million were accomplished with poor technique. After watching my stroke in a mirror, I have corrected some major inadequacies, and am progressing on. So, work on proper form and technique. The time you spend on the rower is much more beneficial when done properly. And of course, have fun watching your fitness and health improve!!!
Wilbury