Rprg-team Members Bios.

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] artmom5

Weight Loss/ Weight Control

Post by [old] artmom5 » August 25th, 2005, 9:26 pm

<br />I thought I would start this Post Topic because as a team we are growing and while some of us(Me) write a lot I still have a hard time remembering who is who! (Sign of age?)<br /><br /><span style='color:blue'>(ARTMOM5) Mary</span>-I'm from the midwest Tinley Park, IL, suburb of Chicago. <br /><br />Started erging to give my joints a break and it was too hot here this summer to go outside. I go to a 24 hour healthclub to ERG. Old model C, I think, has a PM2. Usually noone bothers with the rowers, so I can spend my hour plus every other day.<br /><br />HOBBIES- I paint-watercolor, oil and almost any other medium. Also love crafty stuff. Like the outdoors(NORTHWOODS) and also Downtown Chicago stores and lakefront.(What not to LIKE!) <br /><br />FAMILY-Married almost 25 years(next March) to my college sweetheart! (He would use another description I'm sure!) Mother of five- oldest 23-youngest 13. Pets include- a perfect, crazy dog-Chesapeake Bay Retriever, a Euromastic(lizard) and a rotating stock of small fish in an aquarium. (Hundreds of wild rabbits in our backyard that thrive on all perrenials and annuals that have been bought and paid for!) <br /><br />PERSONAL GOAL-Trying to row as a lightweight, not working yet, put on 10 lbs. because <u>now</u> I'M starving; however have increased my cardio, stamina and strength in these 3 months. <br /><br />My family doesn't get the erg "thing" so I am thrilled to have met you all and joined the team, especially my rowing partner Robin, who without her competition I would have never achieved the meters so far and would have definitely quit 2 weeks after I started! Also all the team members and other "veteran ergers" who have answered every one of my repetitive and idiotic questions without a snicker! And last but not least-to our leaders on the team(with their millions of meters) that provide us with the inspiration of an obtainable goal.<br />

[old] julieofarc

Post by [old] julieofarc » August 25th, 2005, 11:29 pm

This is a great idea, Mary! (And by the way, I love your siggie about times- I've been hard pressed not to respond to the thread on 2K times with all these guys having 6-something times. I wondered if they'll all pass out to find an unfit person posting times- mine is 8:58 right now!) <br /><br />My dh and I just celebrated out 10th anniversary this year. I have four children (8yob, 5 yog, 3 yob, and 2yog) and homeschool the oldest two. <br /><br />I rowed sweep in college at Oklahoma State University back when crew was a poorly funded club sport- they've gotten much more serious in recent years. Tried getting back on the water for a couple months with Boulder Community Rowing last summer, but schedules didn't work out too well for our family. Starting back on the water with them tomorrow through November. Learned to scull a couple weekends ago at Dillon Resevior (and have the majorly bruised arm to prove it- I got to go for an unexpected swim in the very cold water, and banged my arm up learning to get back in the single!). Hoping to buy a single next year! I'd love to make a million meters by Thanksgiving. <br /><br />I'm back in college part-time this semseter to finish my BA in History. CU-Boulder isn't nearly as weird as I thought it'd be. It's going to be a busy fall. Thinking about getting my Masters in Library Science. <br /><br />My current rowing goals are to lose about 50# (the reassess at that point), train for the Mile High Sprints in Jan 2006, and be ready to compete with BCR next season. I'm using the Wolverine plan as a guideline. Went to my first Weight Watchers meeting this evening- I decided I'm pretty serious about getting this done. Can't blame the kids for the extra weight! I'm at 202 now, and working toward 150. (At my highest rowing fitness level in college I was 140.)<br /><br />I love to read historical fiction and Christian fiction. My dh and I lead Financial Peace University classes at our church, and are Dave Ramsey Certified Financial Counselors. <br /><br />Julie

[old] Normsthename

Post by [old] Normsthename » August 26th, 2005, 8:39 am

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->This is a great idea, Mary! (And by the way, I love your siggie about times- I've been hard pressed not to respond to the thread on 2K times with all these guys having 6-something times. I wondered if they'll all pass out to find an unfit person posting times- mine is 8:58 right now!) </td></tr></table><br />Better time than mine Julie, my 2K time is under 10 minutes...... 9:59.6 <br />I really suck at erging.....<br /><br />Andy<br />

[old] Steelhead

Post by [old] Steelhead » August 26th, 2005, 9:37 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Normsthename+Aug 26 2005, 05:39 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Normsthename @ Aug 26 2005, 05:39 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->This is a great idea, Mary! (And by the way, I love your siggie about times- I've been hard pressed not to respond to the thread on 2K times with all these guys having 6-something times. I wondered if they'll all pass out to find an unfit person posting times- mine is 8:58 right now!) </td></tr></table><br />Better time than mine Julie, my 2K time is under 10 minutes...... 9:59.6 <br />I really suck at erging.....<br /><br />Andy <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Well, last night after erging for 15K, I did a 2K and my time was not as good as Julie's. <br /><br />As for my bio: I'm 59 and need to lose about 59 pounds. I started rowing again this year after taking about a 10 year break. I am an attorney (business, tax, antitrust, trade, dispute resolution) admitted in CA, OR, and WA. I have an international practice (mostly focused on Japan).<br /><br />I graduated from the U of Utah with a double major, received my Juris Doctor from the U of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign, an LLM in Asian and Comparative Law from the U of Washington in Seattle, and a Masters of Business Taxation from the University of Southern California (Marshall School of Business).<br /><br />I have 5 children (3 boys & 2 girls), and 5 grandchildren (3 girls and 2 boys). I am married to my college sweetheart.<br /><br />My primary hobby is collecting weight lifting equipment, and after that it is fly-fishing.<br /><br />The team has kept me motivated to keep erging this year and the fact that I have erged a million meters since May 1st really surprises me. When I started this year, I could not erg more than 15 minutes without taking a minute break, and rowing 1 hour was all I could handle. In that department, things have changed -- although FMs still give me trouble, and my speed is slow, although as I continue to work on my technique I continue to make PBs in all categories.<br /><br />Erging on,<br /><br />Mike<br />

[old] julieofarc

Post by [old] julieofarc » August 26th, 2005, 11:53 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Steelhead+Aug 26 2005, 06:37 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Steelhead @ Aug 26 2005, 06:37 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Well, last night after erging for 15K, I did a 2K and my time was not as good as Julie's. <br /><br />Erging on,<br /><br />Mike <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I don't even want to know what my 2k would be with a 15K 'warm-up'! (I warm up for 15-30 min. before a 2k test, not 1 hr+) I'm sure it'd be in the 10 range. Weren't you tired????? I'm tired for you! You certainly win the prize for endurance!<br /><br />Julie

[old] Steelhead

Post by [old] Steelhead » August 26th, 2005, 6:27 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-julieofarc+Aug 26 2005, 08:53 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(julieofarc @ Aug 26 2005, 08:53 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Steelhead+Aug 26 2005, 06:37 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Steelhead @ Aug 26 2005, 06:37 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Well, last night after erging for 15K, I did a 2K and my time was not as good as Julie's. <br /><br />Erging on,<br /><br />Mike <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I don't even want to know what my 2k would be with a 15K 'warm-up'! (I warm up for 15-30 min. before a 2k test, not 1 hr+) I'm sure it'd be in the 10 range. Weren't you tired????? I'm tired for you! You certainly win the prize for endurance!<br /><br />Julie <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Hi Julie,<br /><br />So today I thought "why don't I row a 2K first" and I did. Still a slow time: 8:29.7, but a major improvement. I think I need to warm up for a few minutes first, right? Then I rowed 30K in 5K segments, and after the 2K my first 5K was a PB (again, slow). And each 5K took longer and longer. <br /><br />Tired? Yep!<br /><br />Mike<br />

[old] deppe4

Post by [old] deppe4 » August 26th, 2005, 7:17 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-artmom5+Aug 25 2005, 08:26 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(artmom5 @ Aug 25 2005, 08:26 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <br />I thought I would start this Post Topic because as a team we are growing and while some of us(Me) write a lot I still have a hard time remembering who is who! (Sign of age?)<br /><br /><span style='color:blue'>(ARTMOM5) Mary</span>-I'm from the midwest Tinley Park, IL, suburb of Chicago. <br /><br />Started erging to give my joints a break and it was too hot here this summer to go outside. I go to a 24 hour healthclub to ERG. Old model C, I think, has a PM2. Usually noone bothers with the rowers, so I can spend my hour plus every other day.<br /><br />HOBBIES- I paint-watercolor, oil  and almost any other medium. Also love crafty stuff. Like the outdoors(NORTHWOODS) and also Downtown Chicago stores and lakefront.(What not to LIKE!) <br /><br />FAMILY-Married almost 25 years(next March) to my college sweetheart! (He would use another description I'm sure!) Mother of five- oldest 23-youngest 13. Pets include- a perfect, crazy dog-Chesapeake Bay Retriever, a Euromastic(lizard) and a rotating stock of small fish in an aquarium. (Hundreds of wild rabbits in our backyard that thrive on all perrenials and annuals that have been bought and paid for!) <br /><br />PERSONAL GOAL-Trying to row as a lightweight, not working yet, put on 10 lbs. because <u>now</u> I'M starving; however have increased my cardio, stamina and strength in these 3 months. <br /><br />My family doesn't get the erg "thing" so I am thrilled to have met you all and joined the team, especially my rowing partner Robin, who without her competition I would have never achieved the meters so far and would have definitely quit 2 weeks after I started! Also all the team members and other "veteran ergers" who have answered every one of my repetitive and idiotic questions without a snicker! And last but not least-to our leaders on the team(with their millions of meters) that provide us with the inspiration of an obtainable goal. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />deppe4 - Jimmie Sue, from San Antonio, TX - the big city with a small town feel. <br /><br />Why I Erg: To loose weight that I hope never ever finds me again ;-)<br /><br />Hobbies: Car camping, the back and joints can't handle the backcountry hiking I did in my early 20s anymore. I've been to nearly all the major national parks; my best and worst hike was in the Alaskan arctic circle (where we started in Anatuvic and ended near Frigid and Something peaks 15 miles from where we were supposed to be - but that is a whole nother story) carrying a 65lbs pack over 65+ miles on my then 130lbs frame. I like to write and take photographs. I dig indie movies and indie music. note: my spouse says that this is really long-winded but it's ok.<br /><br />Family: A 5yob and a 3yog, spouse, "not going to protect you but I sure do luv ya" dog, neurotic cat, and "it's my job to nibble on everything" indoor rabbit.<br /><br />Personal Goal: To loose 55lbs so I can be at my ideal body weight of 145lbs - if this happens I've told everyone I would dye my hair blue, find the tightest top I can and buy leather pants and party like a rock star for one night.<br /><br />To the Group: Y'all have made it fun to row and keep me rowing.<br />

[old] RockinRobin

Post by [old] RockinRobin » August 27th, 2005, 11:40 am

Rockin “Robin” living in a little town in Arkansas<br /><br />My general stats: 42 years old, single, no kids. I have one really laid back, big friendly dog, a German Shepherd-Lab mix named Zildjian, I’ve worked for a local manufacturing company for the last 20 years doing technical writing and training in the HR department.<br /><br />My hobbies: I enjoy foreign travel, so I save up my pennies for a couple years and then travel to some place I haven’t been before. My last trip, I spent 2 weeks in Russia, but I haven’t decided where to go next. I have an interest in classical music probably stemming from the 15 years of music lessons I had when I was a kid. Also enjoy jet-skiing, motorcycles, and of course the C2.<br /><br />My Goals: I am working on losing 40 lbs. and improving my overall health stats. I am eyeing the next big hurdle (the marathon) and eventually want one of those 1 million meter mugs. <br /><br />My Inspirations on the quest: Definitely my teammates from RowPain-RowGain. Between the forums, the team standings and rowing partners, each one adds a little more incentive and encouragement to keep moving forward. I have 3 active rowing partners: Mary – who has been absolutely terrific (she won’t let me be a slacker!). Jenny – who is very inspiring (she just keeps plugging away and making consistent progress) and Bobbi – who works through her arthritis to row and has been a role model for me as well (I’m doing my best to catch up with you ) <br /><br />And each time I lose a pound, my cholesterol or triglycerides improve, or I notice the trip up the flights of stairs got easier; it is another bonus point for me. Not to mention I get a certain amount of instant gratification and satisfaction to row a slightly faster time or greater distance; or to row and complete a workout when it was the last thing in the world I wanted to do.<br /><br />“Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength." -Arnold Schwarzenegger<br /><br />

[old] blandings

Post by [old] blandings » August 27th, 2005, 12:42 pm

I keep meaning to write an introduction so this is my chance. <br /><br />I'm 54, married with two daughters at University. I live in a century old log house, on a farm ( just abandoned fields and woods, no crops or animals) west of Ottawa (Canada's capital so everyone should know where that is). After quite a few years at home I went back to University, got my teaching degree and now work as a supply teacher. My hobbies are gardening, growing orchids and amaryllis and reading.<br /><br />I row to lose weight and get fitter - especially cardiovascular fitness since I have a family history of heart problems and strokes. I've been rowing off and on for two and a half years and passed one million meters at the beginning of August this year. I lost 20 pounds over the same period. I'm hoping that RPRG members will help me keep rowing regularly so I can lose more of the extra 70 pounds I'm still carrying around. I'd also really like a free pair of socks alfter the next million meters - do they come in women's sizes?<br /><br />Alice

[old] jimjayhawk

Post by [old] jimjayhawk » August 27th, 2005, 11:56 pm

Hi! <br /><br />I am 45, married 17 years, 2 daughters 9 & 11, living in a small town north of Davenport Iowa. I am active in my church and volunteer on a couple of local boards that do charitable work in the community. I work for the local community college directing an adult learning center where we provide literacy instruction, English as a Second Language, Adult Basic Education, and GED preparation and testing. <br /><br />I grew up in a small town (oldest of 5 siblings) in central Illinois (near Peoria), went to Illinois State University, majored in Psychology, minored in sociology for my B.S. Worked my way through grad school in the residence halls, at the University of Kansas, earned an M.S.Ed in Counseling. <br /><br />Continued in the residence halls as Northeast Missouri State University (now Truman State), moved to Poplar Bluff Missouri working at Three Rivers CC for 5 years as an academic counselor and later directing a TRIO program. Left the college to try life in manufacturing as the Personnel Mgr for the local Gates Rubber Co., after 2 years of selling my soul to the devil (figuratively of course), I returned to the field of education in my current position. <br /><br />I am A.B.D. in a Ph.D program at Illinois State University... (I have to get my proposal done this fall or I am sunk)...<br /><br />The results of my last physical were very good despite my need to lose 75#'s or so. I've been eating a low-carb diet for nearly 2 years and my BP is down, good cholesterol up, bad cholesterol holding steady (130)... and all the other indicators were also very positive. The C2 is the one conditioning regimen that I have been able to sustain over time... I once greatly enjoyed bicycling, but bilateral carpal tunnel surgery, little time during daylight hours, and the 75# make bicycling rather difficult in comparison to the C2. <br /><br />I wish I had a log of my C2 meters prior to 2000.... I might be over 5 million or more by now instead of just coming up on 4 million... The C2 website, teams, training forum, etc. are the most incredible motivational tools I've ever encountered...and while there is likely an incredible cost to all the support they provide (incentive prizes, etc), I'd imagine that it pays off nicely.... there isn't ANYONE I come in contact with on a regular basis at work or in my leisure life that I don't tell about the C2... and while none have yet purchased their own, many <br />have started using the C2 at the local fitness clubs... so it is likely just a matter of time. <br /><br />As you might guess I can be rather chatty, and never know when to shut up... but I will now... <br /><br />Jim S aka jimjayhawk

[old] rowmantic

Post by [old] rowmantic » August 28th, 2005, 8:48 pm

blink.gif<br />I thought I would start this Post Topic because as a team we are growing and while some of us(Me) write a lot I still have a hard time remembering who is who! (Sign of age?)<br /><br />Never a sign of age, Mary, but a sign that we have a lot of information in our brains and sometimes have trouble processing all of it. <br /><br />I am 42. Been married for 19 years and we have 2 sons, one is 17 and the other is 15. My husband is an Air Force Test Pilot hence the reason we live in the very dry,lake bed area of the Mojave Desert. I was also an Air Force officer which is how I met my husband, but decided many years ago to resign my commission to stay home with our sons.<br /><br />I learned to row at Rutgers University in the early 80s. Stopped rowing from 1985 to 2000. Picked it up again in Colorado with the Rocky Mountain Rowing Club. Starting erging in 2000. At that time doing more than 10 minutes at a time was a major feat. I have not stopped erging since 2000..... <br /><br />My husband was actually flying for United Airlines before he "found himself" back to the Air Force in 2003. I now find myself using the erg 5 days a week as it is one heck of a drive to my boathouse (Long Beach Rowing) I do get on the water on the weekends and was fortunate enough to be invited to compete with the Long Beach Women in an 8. We won our Head of the Charles race last year (Masters Womens) and we won the San Diego Crew Classic in the Womens' Club race. <br /><br />I am currently part of the US Indoor Development Squad trying to earn a spot on the US Indoor Rowing Team. I've come along way from only being able to erg for 10 minutes at a time (day) like I was doing in 2000. I erg to battle my bulge; for my sanity; and frankly because I love competing. I am glad that there is a group for people like me who erg to fight weight, to get in shape; to maintain our health; to keep our sanity. <br />~Grace

[old] Zot

Post by [old] Zot » September 3rd, 2005, 9:00 pm

Hi all!<br /><br />I"m 49, father of 4 wonderful kids and recently a grandpa. I was born to be fat - almost 13 punds at birth - but I've always liked to defy the odds. fat until high school where I learned to joys of sports - and stayed lean even after my marriage 26 years ago. Then the kids came along, and well, the rest is history.<br /><br />I am a disaster recovery planner by trade, and the recent spate of world events has certainly seen a jump in my profession. I have a BS in Computer Science, and completed my MBA about 8 years ago.<br /><br />Alas, my weight climbed to 312 last November, and on 11/18/04 I had my 'religious moment' when I decided enough is enough. I've lost almost 60 pounds and 10 inches from my waist since then. I was doing a lot of treadmill and weight work, and pleateau'd for almost 3 months. <br /><br />I love sailing, classical music, my Christianity, goofing off with my kids and romantic getaways with the love of my life. (not always in that order either!)<br /><br />I've only rowed once before - many years ago on a cheap (ahem -inexepensive) rower I broke shortly after I purchased it. Since buying the C2 4 weeks ago, the whole family has hopped on board so to speak, so it gives us one more thing to share in common.<br /><br />I'm new to the board, but already found good company here. I think I'll stay awhile and enjoy the motivation, friendly competition and genuine interest in helping each other succeed!<br /><br />Zot (Aka Zoli)

[old] RockinRobin

Post by [old] RockinRobin » September 3rd, 2005, 9:18 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Zot+Sep 3 2005, 08:00 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Zot @ Sep 3 2005, 08:00 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br />I'm new to the board, but already found good company here. I think I'll stay awhile and enjoy the motivation, friendly competition and genuine interest in helping each other succeed!<br /><br />Zot (Aka Zoli) <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Glad you joined the team!

[old] Jumpsoda

Post by [old] Jumpsoda » September 4th, 2005, 1:07 pm

Hi<br /><br />Name is Scot (Jumpsoda), work as a physical therapist in the Bay Area, Cali. Love to surf and dance, rowing is a great way to stay in shape. South African by birth, 43 years old.<br /><br />Wow, looks like the team is moving up the boards. Anyhoots, keep racking up the meters and loosing the pounds guys.

[old] stuartg

Post by [old] stuartg » September 5th, 2005, 8:24 am

Hi All<br /><br />My stats are: married with two girls aged 3 & 6, living in Perth, Western Australia. I have been erging for quite a while, starting with some weird rotating weights model some 30 odd years ago. I got my Model C about 5 years ago and stuck it in a back room at work when I was a stockbroker, so I would erg after the market closed or during dull days.<br /><br />My aim now is to lose a good 20kg, sorry I grew up in a time and place where we use metric, so logical you've gotta love it. I also row on the water in a "veteran" crew, even though I don't feel like a veteran.<br /><br />I am currently running a company commercialising water purification technology which brings me back to my original roots as a scientist. <br /><br />I really quite enjoy reading the accomplishments of the RPRG group and keenly watch our tally, position and just as importantly the average metres rowed. <br /><br />Keep up the good dialogue.<br /><br />Cheers<br /><br />Stu