Can Somone Analyse This Video Clip?

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] csabour

Training

Post by [old] csabour » January 24th, 2006, 1:03 pm

i have a feeling that one side of my body is inferior to the other at the finish of my stroke... can anyone detect this here? coach said that it's because of rowing too much starboard.<br /><br />its a minute long.<br /><a href='http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 1489840405' target='_blank'>http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 405</a><br /><br />edit<br /> any critique is appreciated, thanks.

[old] Spectre

Training

Post by [old] Spectre » January 24th, 2006, 1:31 pm

As a chronic Starboarder myself I would say yes you are tending to lean in to that side. When I coached novices (eons ago now) I liked to see sharper catches and quicker hands at the finish. Its a bad angle but I think you are laying back just a tich to far and allowing yourself to slouch at the finish. a nice strong lower back with your hands finishing slightly higher would help. Fast hands at the finish will really help you, they need to accelerate away from you on the recovery. This will help you establish your catch postion. As you approach the catch you need to be mindful of not dropping you shoulder again. Again its not the best angle but your catch seems nice and quick, just remember to drive evenly with your legs as they lock on. These are just my observations I am sure others will have comments too.

[old] PaulS

Training

Post by [old] PaulS » January 24th, 2006, 1:37 pm

You tilt the handle like a Starboard, but it does not appear to be a great imbalance. You will have a better finish if you allow your right elbow to be high enough to keep your forearm parallel with the floor so that the wrist does not have to arch upward.<br /><br />Once your hands make the release, make sure to extend the arms fully in a continuous move. Right now your body is being recovered even before the arms have been extended halfway, and then the arms never quite reach full extension. You will get a another couple inches of reach with the arms alone. (The rower on your left is getting the arm extension suggested)<br /><br />If your coach is not asking for a change in sequence timing or movement patterns it appears that you have ingrained the style that they are expecting quite well. Overall smoothness and consistency look good.<br /><br />I'm thinking it would not be a good idea to go into much more detail, because you are an individual on a team and it's your coaches job to orchestrate the team as a whole. i.e. There could be some changes suggested, but they could well be the wrong thing to do relative to the rest of the boat. Rowing perfectly together is the most important thing.<br /><br />Cheers.

[old] arakawa

Training

Post by [old] arakawa » January 24th, 2006, 1:56 pm

First of all, I am <b>not</b> a coach or anything. I just happen to row indoors, and even then, not that well.<br /><br />My first observation is that you seem to have your elbows slightly bent at the beginning of your drive. I'd suggest you try to keep your arms straight until you're finishing your drive and pulling the erg handle to your body. Otherwise, you're fatiguing your biceps as you keep your arms slightly bent during the beginning of your drive (and also slightly shortening the length of your drive).<br /><br />My second observation is that, at the end of your drive, your wrists are bent so that your hands are below the lines formed by your forearms. When your wrists are bent, the strength of your arms is now limited to your wrist strength, not your biceps strength. I'd suggest you avoid tucking your hands under at the end of your drive.<br /><br />My third observation is that your hands are fairly close together. This observation may be heavily colored by my personal preference, which is to have my hands further apart. I have a Model C also, and I prefer my hands so far apart that my pinky finger on both hands are actually off the handle. In other words, I use only four fingers on each hand to hold the erg handle. Moving your hands apart an inch or two further may also prevent you from tucking your hands under at the end of your drive.

[old] ranger

Training

Post by [old] ranger » January 24th, 2006, 2:12 pm

You aren't hanging on the handle. If you do this, you should lift a little off your seat each time you pull. <br /><br />To hang on the handle, you need to fire off with your legs before pulling with your back. If you build up enough force with your legs before the back is engaged and your back is quick in that initial lift, you should hang on the handle.<br /><br />At the moment, you are using both levers together. There should be a whole beat of the stroke with the legs before you lift with the back. I drive off my toes with my legs then set my heels and lift with my back. The strongest part of the stroke then follows, when both the legs and back are at full speed.<br /><br />I think you could also finish with your legs more sharply before you pull with your arms. The two beats here at the end of the stroke can also be sequenced rather than simultaneous.<br /><br />I agree with the comment about a quicker recovery with the hands, too. To get this right, I like to regard the recovery with the hands as just another beat of the drive.<br /><br />This gives six beats to the drive in all. If you are getting this right, I think you can count these beats out and put each gesture right on the beat.<br /><br />toes-heels-back-legs-arms-hands<br />-1-----2-----3-----4-----5------6<br /><br />ranger

[old] Bridwell

Training

Post by [old] Bridwell » January 24th, 2006, 3:58 pm

Ranger,<br /> This is not meat in an antagonistic way at all. I have followed your pursuit of the stroke and have been very impressed with your unwavering focus and confidence in your plan. I don't know if you have the tools at your disposal, but would it be possible to view a clip of you rowing. I would be very interested to see the changes in your stroke and the suspension that results from rowing with the correct sequence of levers. If not, no worries and good luck with your upcoming races.<br /><br />Respectfully,<br />Bridwell

[old] John Rupp

Training

Post by [old] John Rupp » January 24th, 2006, 5:37 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Bridwell+Jan 24 2006, 11:58 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Bridwell @ Jan 24 2006, 11:58 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->would it be possible to view a clip of you rowing. </td></tr></table><br /><br />I'd be interested to see this too.<br />

[old] John Rupp

Training

Post by [old] John Rupp » January 24th, 2006, 6:02 pm

You have your arms bent quite dramatically through the drive.<br /><br />Compare this to the woman to your right, and see how straight she keeps hers.

[old] ranger

Training

Post by [old] ranger » January 25th, 2006, 4:38 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Bridwell+Jan 24 2006, 02:58 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Bridwell @ Jan 24 2006, 02:58 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Ranger,<br />    This is not meat in an antagonistic way at all.  I have followed your pursuit of the stroke and have been very impressed with your unwavering focus and confidence in your plan.  I don't know if you have the tools at your disposal, but would it be possible to view a clip of you rowing.  I would be very interested to see the changes in your stroke and the suspension that results from rowing with the correct sequence of levers.  If not, no worries and good luck with your upcoming races.<br /><br />Respectfully,<br />Bridwell <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I don't have any video, sorry. I suppose everyone can take a look at the CRASH-Bs this year. It will all be webcast. I guess we'll have to wait until then.<br /><br />There is a much simpler way to determine if you are doing well with a standard OTW stroke than eyeballing it, though. Just check how strong your stroke is. If you lead with your legs and let them up pressure before you lift with your back, if you sequence and time the application of your levers, and if you hang on the handle through the middle of the drive, no matter how small you are, the power in your stroke should be in the 11-12 SPI range, no problem, just with normal stroking. If you are hanging on the handle, the chain must be taut and you must be exerting considerable force (or at least your body weight is exerting force) for a considerable time. Then if you want to pull harder/quicker, you should be able to get to 15 SPI, even if you are a lightweight. <br /><br />The alternative is just to sit on the seat, pull and push at the same time, and go up and down the rail. This isn't really rowing. Even if you do it at max drag and therefore pretty explosively and powerfully, as I used to, it is more like weight-lifting than rowing.<br /><br />The rowing stroke builds up force like a whip not like a crowbar.<br /><br />ranger<br />

[old] mpukita

Training

Post by [old] mpukita » January 25th, 2006, 4:43 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-ranger+Jan 25 2006, 04:38 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(ranger @ Jan 25 2006, 04:38 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Bridwell+Jan 24 2006, 02:58 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Bridwell @ Jan 24 2006, 02:58 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Ranger,<br />     This is not meat in an antagonistic way at all.  I have followed your pursuit of the stroke and have been very impressed with your unwavering focus and confidence in your plan.  I don't know if you have the tools at your disposal, but would it be possible to view a clip of you rowing.  I would be very interested to see the changes in your stroke and the suspension that results from rowing with the correct sequence of levers.  If not, no worries and good luck with your upcoming races.<br /><br />Respectfully,<br />Bridwell <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I don't have any video, sorry. I suppose everyone can take a look at the CRASH-Bs this year. It will all be webcast. I guess we'll have to wait until then.<br /> <br /> </td></tr></table><br />If I can locate a digital camera to use for this weekend, I'll get my wife to film Ranger in Cincinnati. I'd be interested as well.<br /><br />I'd do it. However, I'll be in his heat -- in the very back row -- so she'll need to be John Lucas for a day.<br /><br />Maybe I can take the web cam and laptop if all else fails.

[old] chrisa770

Training

Post by [old] chrisa770 » January 25th, 2006, 5:08 pm

Can anyone analyse this non video. After a 10k I'm spent. Any input would be appreciated.<!--QuoteBegin-csabour+Jan 24 2006, 01:03 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(csabour @ Jan 24 2006, 01:03 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->i have a feeling that one side of my body is inferior to the other at the finish of my stroke... can anyone detect this here? coach said that it's because of rowing too much starboard.<br /><br />its a minute long.<br /><a href='http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 1489840405' target='_blank'>http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 405</a><br /><br />edit<br />  any critique is appreciated, thanks. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />

[old] Rate35

Training

Post by [old] Rate35 » January 25th, 2006, 7:43 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-csabour+Jan 24 2006, 12:03 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(csabour @ Jan 24 2006, 12:03 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->i have a feeling that one side of my body is inferior to the other at the finish of my stroke... can anyone detect this here? coach said that it's because of rowing too much starboard.<br /><br />its a minute long.<br /><a href='http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 1489840405' target='_blank'>http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 405</a><br /><br />edit<br />  any critique is appreciated, thanks. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />It looks like to me that your not allowing your arms to full extend at the catch, this would affect the amount of potential power you could have.

[old] RowtheRockies

Training

Post by [old] RowtheRockies » January 25th, 2006, 7:46 pm

What does 12SPI stand for as in Ranger's post? Strokes per ?

[old] John Rupp

Training

Post by [old] John Rupp » January 25th, 2006, 8:25 pm

SPI = the Stroke Pause Index<br /><br />It tells you how many milliseconds that you've been resting between strokes.

[old] Citroen

Training

Post by [old] Citroen » January 25th, 2006, 8:33 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-RowtheRockies+Jan 25 2006, 11:46 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(RowtheRockies @ Jan 25 2006, 11:46 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->What does 12SPI stand for as in Ranger's post?  Strokes per ? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><b>S</b>troke <b>P</b>ower <b>I</b>ndex<br /><br />You take the watts shown on the PM2/PM3 and divide it by SPM.<br />So 200W @ 20SPM is 10SPI, likewise 280W @ 28SPM = 10SPI.<br /><br />There's an online calculator for it at <a href='http://www.machars.net/spi.php#spi' target='_blank'>http://www.machars.net/spi.php#spi</a>