Training For Competitive Rowing

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Armpitfarter

Training

Post by [old] Armpitfarter » December 19th, 2005, 1:50 am

Last year I started crew my Freshman year of highschool, and wasn't the greatest of rowers. This year, hoping to make varsity, I need to lose a fair amount of time of my 2K. What type of distances would be reccomended to maximize performance.<br />Thanks.

[old] ljwagner

Training

Post by [old] ljwagner » December 19th, 2005, 2:13 am

Lucky for you, you are in 2nd year of high school. I was 6'0 145 graduating high school. <br /><br /> If gaining weight is difficult for you, at least work on getting stronger and having greater endurance with that strength. At your size proving your worth is what counts. Well, if you're a guy (based on the poor name choice), you're slim. If you are female, you're still on the light side, but have height.<br /><br /> Work methodically and have good technique on the water and off. Be available as a spare OTW rower in case someone else can't make a practice. It will be appreciated, and if you row well, it will be noticed and raise your profile. If a boat rows better with you in it, that will be noticed, too. <br /><br /> Ask your coach what he wants. At your frame size, the coach is more likely to think of you as a work out cox, but find out what is wanted, and work at it anyway. Have great overall fitness. To make the Varsity, you have to meet the coach's required criteria. Once you have those, there are lots of coaches and active athletes here who will give you very precise plans to meet them.

[old] Chris-lbc

Training

Post by [old] Chris-lbc » December 19th, 2005, 5:09 am

I hope he's male if he can bench press 3 x 100 pounds. I would recomend learning to scull. One of my coaches reckened she learnt as much in 6 months of sculling as in 6 years of rowing. And hour ergs are good.