Question About Split Controll And Overtraining

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] aligilli

Training

Post by [old] aligilli » November 28th, 2005, 12:07 am

1. I want to know how to better control my split. When one says maintain a 1:55 split, does that mean the "long term average" split should be 1:55 or every single pull should be 1:55? Lets say my training plan is to go at 1:55 for the first 25 minutes and then 1:50 for the last 5. I have trouble getting my split there, I'd either be pulling too hard or too light. Most of the time, I'd aim for 1:55 and my long term average split would be like 1:53 so I tell myself I gotta slow down but then my pulls start to go over 2 so I get scared and pull harder again dropping back down to instaneous 1:53 pulls. I dont know how to control myself.<br /><br />2. How do I avoid overtraining? I am on a competitive uni rowing club that practices 5 days a week. I am willing to work hard but am afraid of putting too much into it because of overtraining.<br /><br />thanks

[old] anneoaks

Training

Post by [old] anneoaks » November 28th, 2005, 12:18 am

<!--QuoteBegin-aligilli+Nov 27 2005, 11:07 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(aligilli @ Nov 27 2005, 11:07 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->1. I want to know how to better control my split. When one says maintain a 1:55 split, does that mean the "long term average" split should be 1:55 or every single pull should be 1:55? Lets say my training plan is to go at 1:55 for the first 25 minutes and then 1:50 for the last 5. I have trouble getting my split there, I'd either be pulling too hard or too light. Most of the time, I'd aim for 1:55 and my long term average split would be like 1:53 so I tell myself I gotta slow down but then my pulls start to go over 2 so I get scared and pull harder again dropping back down to instaneous 1:53 pulls. I dont know how to control myself.<br /><br />2. How do I avoid overtraining? I am on a competitive uni rowing club that practices 5 days a week. I am willing to work hard but am afraid of putting too much into it because of overtraining.<br /><br />thanks <br /> </td></tr></table><br />

[old] anneoaks

Training

Post by [old] anneoaks » November 28th, 2005, 12:21 am

<!--QuoteBegin-aligilli+Nov 27 2005, 11:07 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(aligilli @ Nov 27 2005, 11:07 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->1. I want to know how to better control my split. When one says maintain a 1:55 split, does that mean the "long term average" split should be 1:55 or every single pull should be 1:55? Lets say my training plan is to go at 1:55 for the first 25 minutes and then 1:50 for the last 5. I have trouble getting my split there, I'd either be pulling too hard or too light. Most of the time, I'd aim for 1:55 and my long term average split would be like 1:53 so I tell myself I gotta slow down but then my pulls start to go over 2 so I get scared and pull harder again dropping back down to instaneous 1:53 pulls. I dont know how to control myself.<br /><br />2. How do I avoid overtraining? I am on a competitive uni rowing club that practices 5 days a week. I am willing to work hard but am afraid of putting too much into it because of overtraining.<br /><br />thanks <br /> </td></tr></table><br />I hope you get a good answer because I have the exact same questions....(Except that I usually am trying to maintain a split at about 2:05).

[old] holm188

Training

Post by [old] holm188 » November 28th, 2005, 6:14 am

<!--QuoteBegin-aligilli+Nov 28 2005, 11:07 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(aligilli @ Nov 28 2005, 11:07 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->1. I want to know how to better control my split. When one says maintain a 1:55 split, does that mean the "long term average" split should be 1:55 or every single pull should be 1:55? Lets say my training plan is to go at 1:55 for the first 25 minutes and then 1:50 for the last 5. I have trouble getting my split there, I'd either be pulling too hard or too light. Most of the time, I'd aim for 1:55 and my long term average split would be like 1:53 so I tell myself I gotta slow down but then my pulls start to go over 2 so I get scared and pull harder again dropping back down to instaneous 1:53 pulls. I dont know how to control myself.<br /><br />2. How do I avoid overtraining? I am on a competitive uni rowing club that practices 5 days a week. I am willing to work hard but am afraid of putting too much into it because of overtraining.<br /><br />thanks <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />1. my understanding is that "the long term average" should be 1:55, fluctuations around that for every stroke are however not desirable. First, when the you pull 1:55 for a stroke it means you pull between 1:54.5 and 1:55.4, so it is possible that although you monitor tells you 1:55 for each stroke your average is faster. Second, the pace reacts with a little delay to decrease or increase of power, so make changes very small and keep them for a few strokes until you reach another constant level. No need to panic; if 1:55 is your target, 1:53 average is as wrong as 1:57 average. Third, try to look at the force graph on the PM3 (or better get ErgMonitor) and make sure you apply power in the same way every stroke. Forth, practice, practice, practice...<br /><br />2. with 5 WO a week I think overtraining is not a very big concern. To check, take your rest HR in the morning, if it increases over several days, then you might need more rest. Also after the rest days you should usually feel fresh for the workout without feeling the load of the previous training.<br /><br />HTH Holm