Rowing And Neck Muscles

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] IanOnline

Training

Post by [old] IanOnline » November 20th, 2005, 12:47 pm

I have been told I have weak neck muscles due to poor posture and need to walk chin up and head back (also have a long neck).<br />An excercise given was to clasp hands round back of head and push head back for 15 secs at a time, but found this ineffective.<br />Been down the gym this morning and did 5mins on a concept 2 rower (level 8) at a steady pace, but now after about 5hrs I have an aching both sides of the neck right under the base of the skull. The ache is muscle related and wondered if it is "good" as its working my neck muscles. As far as I can tell posture and procedure on the rower is correct.<br />Have I discovered a way to work my neck muscles, or am I doing injury?<br />Thanks

[old] anthonys

Training

Post by [old] anthonys » November 20th, 2005, 9:43 pm

find a studio where u can work 1:1 w/ a trainer skilled in high intensity exercise. Find out if they have a Nautilus neck extension machine. If so, head on over and get it taken care of.<br /><br />tony

[old] IanOnline

Training

Post by [old] IanOnline » November 21st, 2005, 2:50 am

Tried that before, those machines dont exist in my area

[old] eannamac

Training

Post by [old] eannamac » November 21st, 2005, 10:34 am

Maybe you're pulling with your arms too much - are you pulling at the start of the stroke or when your legs are extended ? Pulling early will add stress to the arm/back muscles. Your legs are more powerful than your arms, so they should be used to start the stroke. <br /><br />Just a thought - are you keeping your back straight, if you are crouching over the handle and pull with your arms it is possible to overwork the neck/shoulder muscles. Flex from the hips once the legs are extending.<br /><br />Third possibility is that your elbows move out from your sides, you are 'flapping' as you pull the handle into your chest - also possible of you are pulling the handle in too high. Aim for somewhere along the lower sternum.<br /><br />The link below shows the correct technique:<br /><br /><a href='http://www.concept2.co.uk/guide/guide.p ... e_pictures' target='_blank'>http://www.concept2.co.uk/guide/guide.p ... res</a><br /><br />Hope these help.<br /><br />e

[old] Byron Drachman

Training

Post by [old] Byron Drachman » November 21st, 2005, 11:10 am

One exercise to strengthen the neck muscles is the "bridge up." It requires no equipment. Just get on your back and roll back holding your body straight so you are supported with your head and feet. I learned it when I was a bench warmer on the wrestling team in high school. When I got in a wrestling match, I could postpone being pinned for a few extra seconds by doing a bridge up. <br /><br />Byron

[old] IanOnline

Training

Post by [old] IanOnline » November 21st, 2005, 1:25 pm

Thanks for those tips, will try the bridge up for my neck, and yes my arms do flap out as I pull in, i find it hard to keep elbows in, obviously must try harder. Thanks for the link