Stm Questions For Paul Smith

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] MarcusLL

Training

Post by [old] MarcusLL » October 3rd, 2005, 8:44 am

Hi Paul<br /><br /><br />1) Would you say there was a large difference in training effect between STM2 and STM3? I ask because I was thinking of carrying on with STM2 for a while longer this time around as I don't seem to get on too well with 'intervals' (took me 12 weeks of STM3 last time to even manage the 2 4ks at 8k-1 and 8k-2, and I've never managed a 8 x 500 even in 'Wolverine' format any faster than 2k pace), whereas I seem to be able to work harder and more consistently on STM2 without the break.<br /><br />2) Re both STM2 and STM3, do order of the individual workouts matter during the course of the week? Eg, I tend to do some powerlifting during the week as well as erg, and I squat Monday evening. Although muscular soreness is fairly low due to lifting fairly low reps, Tuesdays, and particularly Wednesday's rowing workouts aren't usually going to be my best. Ideally, I'd do my hardest row Monday lunchtime and my second hardest Friday lunchtime. Do you think this makes much difference to the <br />training effect on the erg?<br /><br />3) Actually not strictly an STM question - Paul's Law (double distance add 5s/500m) - does it assumed you're controlling for rate and if so in what way - absolute value or assuming 10m/stroke?<br /> <br /><br />Thanks for any help you can provide,

[old] PaulS

Training

Post by [old] PaulS » October 3rd, 2005, 10:37 am

<!--QuoteBegin-MarcusLL+Oct 3 2005, 05:44 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(MarcusLL @ Oct 3 2005, 05:44 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi Paul<br /><br /><br />1) Would you say there was a large difference in training effect between STM2 and STM3?  I ask because I was thinking of carrying on with STM2 for a while longer this time around as I don't seem to get on too well with 'intervals' (took me 12 weeks of STM3 last time to even manage the 2 4ks at 8k-1 and 8k-2, and I've never managed a 8 x 500 even in 'Wolverine' format any faster than 2k pace), whereas I seem to be able to work harder and more consistently on STM2 without the break.<br /><br />2) Re both STM2 and STM3, do order of the individual workouts matter during the course of the week?  Eg, I tend to do some powerlifting during the week as well as erg, and I squat Monday evening.  Although muscular soreness is fairly low due to lifting fairly low reps, Tuesdays, and particularly Wednesday's rowing workouts aren't usually going to be my best.  Ideally, I'd do my hardest row Monday lunchtime and my second hardest Friday lunchtime.  Do you think this makes much difference to the <br />training effect on the erg?<br /><br />3) Actually not strictly an STM question - Paul's Law (double distance add 5s/500m) - does it assumed you're controlling for rate and if so in what way - absolute value or assuming 10m/stroke?<br /> <br /><br />Thanks for any help you can provide, <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />1) Yes, absolutely! STM2 is done to find, and perhaps push forward a bit, the endurance of the athlete. STM3 is concerned with the power/endurance combination, and is substantially more difficult.<br /><br />2) A "hard day" should be immediately preceeded by a "recovery day", so some rearranging of your schedule would be in order. Also, put your powerlifting on the "hard days" so they are followed by a "recovery day". It appears as if you have done this.<br /><br />3) It does assume that rate is being controlled for, but it could be a variety of methods as you suggest. The general purpose is to look at the final results and use them to determine where weaknesses are so they can be targetted for improvement. I also bring SPI into the equation, i.e. if the SPI for 500M is lower than for a 1k, even though the 1k is paced right on 500m + 5sec, there was a disporoportionate increase in rate for the 500m, indicating a weakness in strength. (that sounds funny, doesn't it?) <br /><br />If that's not clear, let me know and I can elaborate.

[old] MarcusLL

Training

Post by [old] MarcusLL » October 3rd, 2005, 12:19 pm

Thanks Paul, <br /><br />So for STM3, a Monday to Friday WORK-REST-REST-REST-WORK format would be ok, since I wouldn't tend to row on Saturday and this would count as a rest after Friday's workout?<br /><br />And you'd say stick to spending most STM training time on STM3 as opposed to STM2 even if you're finding you're not able to go much faster than you were at STM2?

[old] PaulS

Training

Post by [old] PaulS » October 3rd, 2005, 12:46 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-MarcusLL+Oct 3 2005, 09:19 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(MarcusLL @ Oct 3 2005, 09:19 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Thanks Paul, <br /><br />So for STM3, a Monday to Friday WORK-REST-REST-REST-WORK format would be ok, since I wouldn't tend to row on Saturday and this would count as a rest after Friday's workout?<br /><br />And you'd say stick to spending most STM training time on STM3 as opposed to STM2 even if you're finding you're not able to go much faster than you were at STM2? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I'd suggest RECOVERY-WORK-RECOVERY-RECOVERY-WORK if it could be worked out along with the other considerations. I make a distinction between REST and RECOVERY, REST days are completely free days to do things other than train. <br /><br />It's not a bad idea to go back to the STM2 series for a few weeks and see if it could be pressed a bit faster than before, however the 2x4k is an attempt to press your leading edge out further, which is not something that happens too quickly. 1 second in pace can be a rather large step, depending on how close to capacity you are.<br /><br />The most important progress is: Are you able to advance your PB's from time to time?

[old] michaelb

Training

Post by [old] michaelb » October 3rd, 2005, 4:40 pm

Searching for STM and its variants (stm3 etc) only turns up this thread. Maybe I have missed the explanation. What does STM refer to in terms of a workout?<br /><br />Is this a term in the training plan through your remote coaching?

[old] PaulS

Training

Post by [old] PaulS » October 3rd, 2005, 5:11 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-michaelb+Oct 3 2005, 01:40 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(michaelb @ Oct 3 2005, 01:40 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Searching for STM and its variants (stm3 etc) only turns up this thread.  Maybe I have missed the explanation.  What does STM refer to in terms of a workout?<br /><br />Is this a term in the training plan through your remote coaching? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Stop The Madness (STM) was a program born out of all the rather complicated plans being discussed in the previous version of the Forum. I'm sure that I have the series in a single document somewhere and will provide a link to it when I can get it up on the web. I use STM in the early stages of remote coaching and then move on from there with the particular goals of the individual, but a good base is always a good base. Plus, without some form of structure and consistency it would be difficult to say whether or not real progress is being made.