2k Split Strategy

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] ssiegel

Training

Post by [old] ssiegel » February 14th, 2005, 12:39 am

I am sure answers will vary, but I was curious about what people thought was the best split strategy for a hard 2K. I typically start just under my target pace, then ease into a race pace for the first 500m. I then slow it down a little over the next 1000m just because I have mental issues at that point in the race (usually not more than 1 sec/500m slower than average). I drop it back down just under my race pace with 500m left and then try to give it everything I have for the last 250m or so. <br /><br />In a discussion with a friend, we were talking about how the body responds with adrenaline (or something) at the beginning of the race, and we were debating whether or not one should take advantage of that to kick it in even a little more in the first 500m. I tend to be cautious because I am afraid that if I put too much in at the beginning, I won't have it at the end. In the water, however, you need to push hard at the beginning to get the boat moving. <br /><br />Running, I tend to use negative splits, so I don't know why I do what I do on the erg, but I was curious about other peoples' thoughts and opinions on it. Watching CRASH-B, there is quite a range of strategies and some work for some people but not others (and vice versa). <br /><br />Anyway, any thoughts are appreciated.<br /><br />PS. Congratulations to all those who raced at CRASH-B. Fantastic event.

[old] David Speed

Training

Post by [old] David Speed » February 14th, 2005, 6:52 am

I use a very similar strategy, with the same 'mental weakness' during the third quarter.<br />I do go off very hard for the first 6 strokes. Then take the next 10 strokes to bring the pace back to target split.<br />I'll then throw everything at the last 150m or so. Should go off earlier, but have a morbid fear of blowing with 50m to go that I have to work out if I'm going to achieve my potential

[old] andyArvid

Training

Post by [old] andyArvid » February 14th, 2005, 8:41 am

My ideal race would go as follows. I like a controlled, relaxed start (slower but not necessarily slow), settling into target pace by 8-10th stroke. As steady and relaxed as possible until about 100-200m to go and sprint with whatever is left which if done right is not much. Basically steady splits with a little of negative splits. Recently I started using watts to control my pace as watts has finer detail about your last stroke.

[old] dfcox

Training

Post by [old] dfcox » February 14th, 2005, 9:11 pm

For me the split strategy used in a 2K would depend on the strategy used in the warm-up. For example, if I started the 2k with an all-out 10 or 20 stroke racing start, I would have used that same start sequence some where in the warm-up and then let my heart return to resting state. Without that sort of warm-up I would use the steady state split strategy over the course. I have tried both and prefer the racing start. That could be a purely psychological carry over from long ago on water rowing where the racing start went unchallenged and always employed. Strategy for the last 500 meters of any competitive piece never really works for me, you do what you can to empty the tank. ...Dave

[old] bsemaiktehr

Training

Post by [old] bsemaiktehr » February 14th, 2005, 10:54 pm

I typically give 10-15 seconds of hard strokes at the beginning, and then settle into my goal split for the remainder.<br /><br />Although I probably should start sprinting sooner than 100m, I rarely do. I'm usually rowing just to maintain my target until the last moment, when I know I won't give out. Because of this, I often finish with some still left in the tank (Frustrating.) <br /><br />Last test i was able to go from my 1:42 avg to pull a 1:33 on the last couple strokes....

[old] Roland Baltutis

Training

Post by [old] Roland Baltutis » February 14th, 2005, 11:12 pm

I selected "other" because I don't believe you can limit one method to suit everybody. For several years now I have trained using each of the mentioned methods but could not say one is better than the other.<br /><br />I believe that it is more important to do at least one 2K time trial (race pace) each week for the three months leading up to each major race. I know that many people on this forum will dissagree and have their own ideas on that. However, there is nothing better than training frequently at the pace and distance that you are going to race.<br /><br />If you do frequent 2K time trials you can experiment with faster or slower starts or a kick at the end. I found that my times were pretty much the same whichever way I went. Looking at my Rowpro logbook I would have to say though that my fastest times were from a slightly slower start, steady middle 1000m and a kick at the end. However there wasn't much in it.<br /><br />There was only mixed success with a hot first 500m for me because using this method sometimes caused a blow out in the last 500m with nothing left for a final kick. For me it was the riskiest approach, because not all days I had the same energy levels, so it created uncertainty at the end.<br /><br />I have tried steady state same pace 2K time trials and felt most comfortable with these but mentally they have left me dissapointed without that adrenaline kick anywhere.<br /><br />Once again, I suggest to train doing frequent 2K time trials to find out yourself what gives you the best results. I know it hurts real bad and is difficult mentally to do them that frequently but eventually your body and mind adapts allowing you the luxury to have fun and experiment.<br /><br /><br /><i>Keep it smooth, keep it relaxed.<br />Roland Baltutis</i>

[old] PaulS

Training

Post by [old] PaulS » February 15th, 2005, 11:32 am

Unfortunately "Race" != "Time Trial" and IMO could require different strategies.<br /><br />Dave made a great point about warm-up quality. If you have a warm-up process that has been well nailed down, as fast start to get to target, then steady with a final kick to finish is a very efficient way to go. If the warm-up is not quite nailed, negative splitting will likely yield the best results by providing an "inline" warm-up of sorts. (The more experience you have, the narrower the range of the negative split targets)<br /><br />"Fly and Die" strategy can pay off in a "Race" due to psychological effects on the other competitors, however this is pretty risky on the Erg because the competitors are pretty unlikely to even notice you being the "rabbit" and the ones that do are likely near the higher end of the performance scale and are pretty smart about their own plan. (Think about the Schroeder/Shurmei showdown at CRASH-B 2004, Schroeder was teh rabbit and Shurmei didn't pull even until 300M was all that was remaining in the race, and then won the race by 5 seconds!)<br /><br />My prediction, Pavel Shurmei will own the "Overall WR" for the 2k during his career. The guy has fine technique and seems to be fiercely competitive, he just needs someone closely matched to drive the result forward through the same kind of pain that all 2k racers are suffering near the end.<br /><br />The "French protocol" is extremely common on water, so much so that it has been referred to as "the classical strategy", and it wins a lot of medals in rowing, but it's very tough on the body and requires a considerable amount of mental strength and faith that the body will endure to the end.

[old] NavigationHazard

Training

Post by [old] NavigationHazard » February 15th, 2005, 11:43 am

I selected "other" for reasons similar to Roland's. <br /><br />It seems to me that the primary goal of a 2k race (to win) is not necessarily the same as the primary goal of a time trial (to produce the fastest time you can).<br /><br />Thus an approach giving you the maximum shot at winning a race against a particular set of competitors might not be the best way to produce a fast time.<br /><br />Of course, if your goal is to finish a 2k race in the fastest time you're capable of producing that day, which is the way most of us probably operate in practice, you're essentially treating it as a time trial. In that case the same strategy should apply.<br /><br />My limited experience in racing suggests that split strategy way too often is discussed in isolation. I'm with Roland -- who's vastly more experienced and accomplished -- in believing it's hard to ask your mind and body to produce in a race what you haven't asked them to do in training. I don't know that you necessarily have to do the weekly 2k trials he recommends. But if you have no idea what, say, shifting into a 36 spm sprint for the last 300m of a training piece feels like, how are you going to do it successfully in a race?<br /><br />I'm a big fan of building race strategies into your training. It's not all that hard to do, particularly if you don't limit yourself to thinking about 2k results in terms of 2k trials. In any event, Roland is right. Play around until you find something that works for you temperamentally as well as physiologically.

[old] Cran

Training

Post by [old] Cran » February 15th, 2005, 4:37 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Unfortunately "Race" != "Time Trial" and IMO could require different strategies. </td></tr></table><br /><br />Race = Time trial on ergs, do anything other than treat it as a time trial and you will be slower, and thinking that you can effect how somebody else races is a BIG assumption...<br /><br />I seriously doubt many of the top contenders will adjust their race strategy because of something anyone else does... (apart from to slow down if they have a comfortable lead).

[old] Sirrowsalot

Training

Post by [old] Sirrowsalot » February 15th, 2005, 9:13 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Cran+Feb 15 2005, 03:37 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Cran @ Feb 15 2005, 03:37 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Unfortunately "Race" != "Time Trial" and IMO could require different strategies. </td></tr></table><br /><br />Race = Time trial on ergs, do anything other than treat it as a time trial and you will be slower, and thinking that you can effect how somebody else races is a BIG assumption...<br /><br />I seriously doubt many of the top contenders will adjust their race strategy because of something anyone else does... (apart from to slow down if they have a comfortable lead). <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Yes, unless you've figured out a way to draft during an erg race, the best race strategy is to pull as fast as you can--there is no strategy beyond this.<br />

[old] ssiegel

Training

Post by [old] ssiegel » February 15th, 2005, 11:09 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Cran+Feb 15 2005, 03:37 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Cran @ Feb 15 2005, 03:37 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Unfortunately "Race" != "Time Trial" and IMO could require different strategies. </td></tr></table><br /><br />Race = Time trial on ergs, do anything other than treat it as a time trial and you will be slower, and thinking that you can effect how somebody else races is a BIG assumption...<br /><br />I seriously doubt many of the top contenders will adjust their race strategy because of something anyone else does... (apart from to slow down if they have a comfortable lead). <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I am going to have to go with this post (and similar ones) in terms of my intent. If, all else equal, you can go faster by changing your strategy (adapting someone else's strategy) in a race, than this is a better strategy for YOU. If it slows you down, then I suppose your original strategy was better. If the goal of the TT is to go as fast as you can, I suppose one could argue that the goal of a race would be to go as slow as you can and still win - but that is not really what I was trying to get at here.....I was getting at optimizing your time/performance. I realize it will vary some by individual, but that is part of why I was asking. Keep the great feedback coming. I appreciate it!!!<br /><br />PS. If anyone is familar with the CompuTrainer as a bicycle trainer, it <i>does</i> give you the option to include a draft or not include a draft. Same with wind speed. Why not include those as features on the C2....that would be cool and would definitely change race strategies!

[old] adamkene

Training

Post by [old] adamkene » February 16th, 2005, 12:47 pm

negative split is definately the way, start at a level that you are well capable of, for example my 5K time is 17:31 which is an average split of 1:45.1. I started at 1:47 for the first K and then i looked at how i felt, i then set into a rythm for the middle 2K of 1:46, then feeling about as good as a could do after 3k rate 28 pulling sub 1:50 i pushed it down gradually for the next 2K, my average split for the last 500m was 1:40, this will take your aveage down gradually and you know that each point 1 of a second below 1:48 is 1 second below 18:00 and watching the average fall it the most satisfying thing ever and that gives you a mental edge.<br />

[old] Stanners77

Training

Post by [old] Stanners77 » February 16th, 2005, 7:18 pm

What a fantastic topic!<br /><br />I'll start out by identifying that I'm a schoolboy coach (in my 10th season - eek!) from Melbourne, Australia. This season I am coaching the Year 10 boys 1st VIII at Carey Grammar. I mention all this because everyone's views on 2K erg strategy will vary according to their experiences and the dominant thinking in their state/country.<br /><br />In brief, the two dominant views here in Melbourne are 'Flat split' or 'French Protocol' (FP) and I would suspect that the former is by far the most popular.<br /><br />(I will clarify FP with an example: 1:39/1:43/1:43/1:40 = 6:45)<br /><br />Never heard of anyone in Aust trying to neg split as a strategy (most schoolboy coaching revolves around "Catch me, F%^& me.")<br /><br />The school season here runs Oct-April and the first 2K tests would usually start late Dec with the most crews doing around 6 tests for the season. I get my crews to have their first few attempts flat splitting, as I believe that until you can do that reasonably well, you'll flounder trying to using the FP. I then get them try one using the FP and do it however they think will produce a PB from there on in. Two seasons ago it was 50/50, this season it's 1 out of 8 using the FP.<br /><br />General comments/observations from a few years of feedback from the athletes:<br /><br />1. FP is a lot to think about when you're in pain (as we know, many rowers aren't known for their intelligence!!)<br />2. Flat splits don't lie - hold the split and you'll get the score.<br />3. FP is risky and makes some athletes anxious about being able to come home in the last 500m.<br /><br />In my experience, generally, the more gifted athletes flat split and the 'battlers' are more likely to use the FP.<br /><br />My bottom line:<br />Everyone is different and the biggest variable on ergs especially is mental strength/composure. As someone else said, the goal in an ergo is the fastest time possible, therefore whatever strategy will bring about that outcome for the athlete is fine by me.<br /><br />Endnote: My crew did 2K tests last night and I now have a 15 year old pulling 6:23 (flat split, btw). All I need now is another 3 or 4 guys doing that and we've got it in the bag!<br /><br />Cheers,<br /><br />Stanners

[old] Roland Baltutis

Training

Post by [old] Roland Baltutis » February 16th, 2005, 11:53 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Stanners77+Feb 16 2005, 06:18 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Stanners77 @ Feb 16 2005, 06:18 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->What a fantastic topic!<br /><br />I'll start out by identifying that I'm a schoolboy coach (in my 10th season - eek!) from Melbourne, Australia. This season I am coaching the Year 10 boys 1st VIII at Carey Grammar. I mention all this because everyone's views on 2K erg strategy will vary according to their experiences and the dominant thinking in their state/country.<br /><br /><br />Endnote: My crew did 2K tests last night and I now have a 15 year old pulling 6:23 (flat split, btw). All I need now is another 3 or 4 guys doing that and we've got it in the bag!<br /><br />Cheers,<br /><br />Stanners <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Good to see someone else from Melbourne, Australia on this forum. Next time your on your coaching bike, pedalling along the Yarra, watch out for me in a "Sykes" scull wearing PowerHouse R.C. zoot suit. Make sure your 15 year old bloke pulling 6:23 on the erg attends the Aust Indoor Rowing Champs 16/10/05.<br /><br />It's interesting to hear the view of a Schoolboy coach. I must add that race strategy for on water racing is totally different to the closed environment of erg racing. On water you have wind and rough water to deal with and only need to beat the other boats, not the clock.<br /><br />A study done on Olympic Gold medal winning crews shows that whoever is in front after the first 500m usually goes on to win the Gold medal. I wish I could find the article with all the stats and details. Maybe someone else will find it before me. If you can get in front of the other boats on water, it's easier to control the race from there, by putting in efforts and sitting on them. Try that on a erg, it's a totally different scenario. I haven't done any stats on indoor races but I know that Shurmie was not in front after the 1st 500m when he won the Men's Open Crash Bs in 2004. You could say that he controlled the race from 2nd place and just sat there until his leading move in the final 500m.<br /><br /><i>Keep it smooth, keep it relaxed<br />Roland Baltutis</i><br /> <br />

[old] Rob Collings

Training

Post by [old] Rob Collings » February 17th, 2005, 6:42 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Roland Baltutis+Feb 16 2005, 10:53 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Roland Baltutis @ Feb 16 2005, 10:53 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->A study done on Olympic Gold medal winning crews shows that whoever is in front after the first 500m usually goes on to win the Gold medal. I wish I could find the article with all the stats and details. Maybe someone else will find it before me. If you can get in front of the other boats on water, it's easier to control the race from there, by putting in efforts and sitting on them. Try that on a erg, it's a totally different scenario. I haven't done any stats on indoor races but I know that Shurmie was not in front after the 1st 500m when he won the Men's Open Crash Bs in 2004. You could say that he controlled the race from 2nd place and just sat there until his leading move in the final 500m.<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Kleshnev had that in one of his biomechanics newsletters. His conclusions were that amongst the gold medal winners, the most popular strategy was along the lines of "fly and die." Go out to win and that's all we're after. Silver and Bronze had more conservative strategies (comparatively slower 1st 500m with more speed later). But the psychology of water rowing and indoor rowing is not the same...<br /><br />Rob.