Fan Setting

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Chrissy

Training

Post by [old] Chrissy » December 30th, 2004, 9:59 am

Hi, i have been experimenting with training on fan level 10 for all of my training pieces then coming down to a water mimicing 3-4 for tests, and have found that i have been improving much more on this high resistance settting, than i have training on test drag factor.<br>Can anyone else confirm this or tried it themselves and got same results. I believe olaf tufte does this also<br>Cheers<br>Chris

[old] J.D.

Training

Post by [old] J.D. » December 31st, 2004, 4:11 am

What SR and splits are you usually pulling during hi-drag training v. lo-drag testing?

[old] Chrissy

Training

Post by [old] Chrissy » December 31st, 2004, 8:00 am

well training on drag 3-4 for 2k test previousley i pulled 1.45, and after about 3 weeks of training on 10, i went back to the 2k at 3-4 and pulled 1.43. SR for 10 for 30 mins is between 20-22. previous 2k training at 3-4 = 30. current 2k at 32 SR. Think it is because oif the power i have developed at high drag.

[old] allapologies916

Training

Post by [old] allapologies916 » January 2nd, 2005, 12:51 pm

I personally think that you perform best if you train at the fan setting that you test on... I think you will do better on your tests if you start to train using a 3-4 all the time.

[old] SlugButt

Training

Post by [old] SlugButt » January 2nd, 2005, 1:42 pm

For years and years I trained with the erg set as heavy as it would go (vent set at a 10, or for those nostalgic for early generation CII, the smallest gear). I found it to be helpful for technique and power, but also found that with a high training load I was very vulnerable to back and knee injuries (which are still with me 15+ years later). I've spent some time training at mostly a 5-6 when I was still competitive and found that my results were very good, even when moving to small boats (1x) when I got back on the water in the Spring. Fewer injury problems, too. <br><br>Although I had returned to training with the vent at 10 for a few weeks, it has quickly caused the return of past lumbar problems. Yuck. I consulted with Marlene Royle, who is very good on physiology, training, and competition and she noted that the Canadian Heavies train with the drag factor at 130-140, as did (does?) Rob Waddell. For my erg, that would mean a vent setting of 3+. It sounds very light, but I'd be the last to argue with Marlene, the Canadians, and Rob Wadell. (On the other hand, I wouldn't argue with Olaf Tufte either. I just don't think my back can continue at a vent setting of 10.)<br><br>I'd love to hear others' points of view, experiences, etc.<br>David

[old] PaulS

Training

Post by [old] PaulS » January 2nd, 2005, 1:58 pm

Chrissy,<br><br>You can train for increased power at lower DF's, just as you can at higher DF's, the difference will be that at lower DF's you will learn the quickness required to do the job in boats much better.<br><br>I hadn't heard that about Tufte, he has Erged 10 x 5K at 1:40 or so alternating with a partner for a total of 100K between them and has Gold medals in the 1x from the Worlds and Olympics. Are you similar to him in some way?<br><br>Do not mistake low DF for "light pressure", you are what determines the force on the handle, the DF only determines how quickly you must be able to implement your technique to get that force. Learning to do it slowly is great when you are beginning, however you will eventually have to do it at greater speed accurately.<br><br>If your goal is to Row, rather than Erg, do training that will facilitate the rowing, your Erg times will be fine, but boat moving will be better.