6k Erg Test

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] cforce

Training

Post by [old] cforce » November 29th, 2004, 8:18 pm

Hello evryone,<br><br>i'm just posting this because i have the pre-test jitters. My 6k test is this wednesday at around 4pm. I am not worried about it, more along the lines of nervousness and anxiety. I think the main thing thats bothering me is that i am the slowest of the crew and never really liked finishing last. The last 6k i did was in august, which was 25:28, since then i have definitly improved my in-boat skills and find it easier keeping splits down on the 50+ minute ergs. I know i am capable of breaking 25, i am aiming for an average of 2:03 - 2:04. I am a 15 year old 'super' lightweight ... i was also wondering what kind of rate to look for, i obviously want something comfortable, becuase i'd rather be focusing on other things besides rate during the test. What do you all reccomend for nutrition? I been eating very clean since sunday, and have been drinking alot of water and will continue with the hydration, but what sort of things are good energy foods for the day of and day before? <br><br>thanks for any help you can give<br><br>---- wish me luck!

[old] Almostflipped

Training

Post by [old] Almostflipped » November 29th, 2004, 9:02 pm

Honestly you are overthinking this. Eat a balanced diet with some emphasis on carbs, but not overboard. At this point in your life you really do not need to get into specific caloric counting or proportions or anything. Just avoid going to extremes in general with junk food, drink plenty of water and juice rather than tons of soda, and enjoy life.<br><br>Now in so far as rating, I would ask what you keep for 10-20' pieces generally? What are you specifically comfortable at? People I know will be anywhere from 24-32. Personally, I won't go lower than 28; but this works for me and may not for you. Go at what is comfortable and forget about the rest.<br><br>Here's my suggestion. Sometime tomorrow get on an erg and do a good warm up (15-20'). In this warmup take about 4 to 5 twenty five stroke pieces at your target pace with a few minutes paddling between each power set. Try different ratings for each power 25. Whichever one feels the most comfortable is probably going to work well.

[old] tow rope

Training

Post by [old] tow rope » November 29th, 2004, 9:42 pm

<br><br>In distance running there is a formula for predicting your time in a race based on the results of a race at different distance. As a runner I found this to be very accurate<br><br>T2 = T1 x (D2/D1)^1.0707: So a 20:00 5K time predicts ((20:00*((10000/(5000))^1.0707) = 42:01 10K<br><br>Bert

[old] cforce

Training

Post by [old] cforce » November 29th, 2004, 10:39 pm

I dont what my 10 and 20 minute pieces are like. Last week my average split for a 30' was 2:06.8 ... my spm was low like 21, and i didnt do a start . I held 2:11 at 16spm for the first 5-6 minutes before deciding to make it into a power piece. I was planing on doing like a category 6 row at medium rate, but once i got in i felt like giv'en it. So i estimate if i had of planned it and done a proper start, proper rate ... average would be around 2:05 ? Anyways, about the nutrition ... the test is at 4:15 pm and school ends at around 2:30 so should i eat something light like fruit and then continue drinking water until half an hour before? I was just thinking and i realized that i am worrying too much about this. its the first test of the year, ther'll be another three 6ks and some 2ks, so i am just going to focus on rowing a strong, controlled piece. I don't care if guys are finishing 3 minutes ahead of me, especially since they are 30kg heavier and more experienced, just gotta row my own race and not worry about others times'.<br><br>thanks again for your kindness

[old] Almostflipped

Training

Post by [old] Almostflipped » November 30th, 2004, 1:10 am

<table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> </td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I don't care if guys are finishing 3 minutes ahead of me, especially since they are 30kg heavier and more experienced, just gotta row my own race and not worry about others times'.<!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br><br>This would be key for us lighties. A test piece's success can only be judged based on how you feel afterwards. If you come off the erg having given every last ounce you had, then it is a success. If not, then it is a good learning experience that you can build on.<br><br>Based on what you are saying about the 30' piece, try going at a 26 with splits = 2:04. Figure the higher rate and shorter distance will help and it's the first of the year anyhow. If it feels really easy at the 3k mark, take it up another notch. I would suggest nixing the start and just build into your pace over 2-3 strokes. Over 6k the start just makes it easier to let nerves and excitement get the best of you and overdo it early.<br><br>As for what to eat in that time period between school and practice, go with something light like bread. Personally I choose bread cause it is light, easy to digest, and is on-acidic. If you've eaten fruit before practice though, go with that. Really just go with what makes you comfortable, even on how long you should be hydrating before the test. Go with what's comfortable and relax.

[old] cforce

Training

Post by [old] cforce » November 30th, 2004, 10:33 am

do you mean a 2:04 as in total average split, or what i should hold for the duration? by this i mean, usually the split i hold for the duration is 1-2 above the average ,,, because the last 1000m usually brings it down a few notches. And i like your idea for the less of a start. In the past i usually did the first 250-300 m hard ... but i realize i am probaly using a litle too much energy to early, so i'd rather get in a settle than go fast and die.<br><br>thanks

[old] eurofoot13

Training

Post by [old] eurofoot13 » November 30th, 2004, 11:23 am

when I do longer tests, I do 5 hard strokes at the beginning, then settle down into my average. ( I usually do a little below my last PB). with 700 left, I quicken teh hands away, just to pick up the tempo, and cue myself that I'm gonna pick it up. That usually drops the split 1-2 beats, then with 300 left... I floor it. ususally this ends up dropping the split 2-3 more beats ( if I paced right, if not, I get down into 10 or so beats under average). then I flop off the erg and lie there for a few minutes.

[old] Almostflipped

Training

Post by [old] Almostflipped » November 30th, 2004, 12:41 pm

Honestly, if you are moving like that in the last 1000m; you are not producing a max effort. From a purely physical point of view, a max effort is produced when you hit your average split and simply hold it through the end (known as even-splitting). In other words, you are going so hard that you bring the rate up at the end solely to maintain your split because you are no longer capable of going harder. From a mental perspective this is very challenging to do. <br><br>This is where experimentation on your part comes in. There is a balance that must be found between what you are physically capable of and what you are mentally capable of. Some people can pull off even splitting just fine, while others find going negative (second half faster than first) works better. The most crazy people I have seen front load a piece and then hang on for dear life in the 2nd half.....personally I think those guys are out of their damned minds and just don't get pacing. Play with different strategies when doing your next few 6k's and find what works best for you.<br><br>Sorry that I cannot give you one specific strategy to use, but each person is different and will react a bit differently to strategies, pacing, rating, etc... Take the ideas you see on this board and try them out. After a couple 6k's you will find what works best for you and will be able to really make some progress from there. At this point I've been rowing for about 6 years and recently realized that doing my 2k's with a slightly different outlook would produce better results. Why? Just changed it up for kicks and found that mentally, it worked better. Didn't actually change my strategy; just thought of it differently. Keep at it and be patient, you'll figure it out with time. Sometimes the change is purely how you look at the piece.

[old] TomR/the elder

Training

Post by [old] TomR/the elder » November 30th, 2004, 7:06 pm

Recently I read that every world record run from 800 meters to the marathon was set with the runner doing negative splits (going faster as the race progresses). I don't know if the statement is true, although it sounds plausible. With negative splits, lactic acid doesn't build up at quickly as it would with a faster pace. If you go out fast, I don't think you run out of "energy," so much as you have to deal with pain for longer. And with acid build-up, you simply may not be able to hold your pace. The trick is to figure out how fast you can go out and still be able to pick the pace up a notch or two toward the end. If I thought I could average a 2.04 pace for 6k, I'd go out at 2.04 plus a fraction, and then push during the final 2k, racheting up the pace another notch for the final 500. <br><br>Good luck. Don't expect to get it perfect. Do your best this time, and improve next time.<br><br>Tom Rawls

[old] cforce

Training

Post by [old] cforce » November 30th, 2004, 7:40 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-TomR/the elder+Nov 30 2004, 06:06 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (TomR/the elder @ Nov 30 2004, 06:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> If I thought I could average a 2.04 pace for 6k, I'd go out at 2.04 plus a fraction, and then push during the final 2k, racheting up the pace another notch for the final 500. <br><br> <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> can you explain this? does it mean to keep the splits at a 2.04 - 2.06 range?<br><br>as far as i can remember, the lst 6k i did, was an average of 2.07.6, i didn't plan it out too well, i remeber the splits ranging from 2:09-2:11 , but i giess i managed to bring it back down with the final sprint. <br><br>I have found that the toughest part of the test seems to be from the 5000m to the 2500m, do you suggest any focus pieces that could be used to help trough this section?<br><br>thanks

[old] TomR/the elder

Training

Post by [old] TomR/the elder » November 30th, 2004, 10:19 pm

cforce--<br><br>What I mean is that if I am reasonably confident I can row 6k with a final average pace of 2.04/500, I would go out at about a 2.04.5 pace. I find that I do best if I hold an even pace, so in rowing at 2.04.5/500 the monitor would show mostly 2.04s and 2.05s, and some strokes would be2.03 or 2.06, but few 2.02 or 2.06.<br><br>If I wasn't as sure what I could do, I might start out at 2.05/500.<br><br>During the final 2k, I would work to hold the average split down under 2.04. Then push hard at the end, counting down strokes 10 at a time to try to fool myself and make it all more bearable.<br><br>You're right that the middle section of a longer piece is a bear. I find I get a lot of "monkey chatter" in my head--doubts creeping in. The only thing I know to do is to collect myself and concentrate on each stroke--good drive, relaxed recovery. Sit tall, drive, relax. Or some such. <br><br>One thing I know for sure, if you miscalculate what you can do and go out too fast, you will have a difficult row. You may row your best time, but it will be painful. That's why I tend to be a bit conservative at the start. Once you've got a better sense of what you can do, you can push yourself closer to the edge.<br><br>You said it best yourself in a previous post: Just row your own race.<br><br>Tom Rawls

[old] cforce

Training

Post by [old] cforce » December 1st, 2004, 6:32 pm

yahooo! ..... ( it went well )<br><br>I think i suprised myself, felt very solid the whole way through, splits didn't rocket at any point<br><br>And now the moment you've been waitin for ....<br><br>Distance = 6000m Time = 24:09 Average Split = 2:00.8 Spm = 25<br><br>I definitly think i had a little left in me. I think i did the first 2000-3000m too light, i settled in at 2:03 for a bit and realized i could go faster, and i did <br>Good learning experience none the less, i now know that i could've held my splits a little lower in the first half. Also I know i would like to get my rate up next time, the first half my rate was only a 23-24 so that could use some work. Next time i'm lookin for under 23:50. <br><br>I'd like to say thanks to all you guys for the input and help. THis is a good starting point of what i'm capable of, so now i can start bustin my ass off even harder.

[old] cforce

Training

Post by [old] cforce » December 1st, 2004, 9:29 pm

BTW, i didn't finish as far behind as i thought. One of the heavyweights (80kg) finished 20 seconds ahead of me. Proud of my effort. One of the guys i want to beat finished in 23:30 ( happy for him, he earned it )... so i'm proud of where i'm at, i know what my limits are, and i know that i'm definitly capable of breaking 24. <br><br>It was a good showing as a crew. Everyone PB'ed except for one, who came really close. A great way to start off the season IMO.<br><br>

[old] TomR/the elder

Training

Post by [old] TomR/the elder » December 3rd, 2004, 9:29 pm

Congratulations. <br><br>I've been traveling so am only just checking to see how you did. <br><br>Now you can build on your success, knowing you can push yourself a bit more. Better to have that to look forward to at this stage of your training than to have gone out too fast and pulled a disappointing test.<br><br>Tom<br><br>

[old] allapologies916

Training

Post by [old] allapologies916 » December 4th, 2004, 6:47 pm

Good job; Just keep it up, if you up your rate you should be able to drop possibly a whole split on the next test, but who knows. Plus, its starting to be 2k time anyways. Good 6k though dude, way to teach the heavies.