Sore Knee

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] denisrricard

Training

Post by [old] denisrricard » August 7th, 2004, 1:24 am

Hello,<br>I just started rowing and so I am still trying to get the hang of it. It's my 3rd day training and I followed the recommanded 'first few training sessions', although I am still not completely clear on the way to keep the spm at a "high" level while rowing at a "comfort" pace.<br><br>Anyways, I am sore in my knee and I was wondering what I should look at in my stroke to prevent that? Are my feet too high? Perhaps I go too far on the catch and my shins are not vertical? Perhaps it's normal when beginning?<br><br>Thanks,<br>Denis

[old] remador

Training

Post by [old] remador » August 7th, 2004, 2:12 pm

Hello!<br><br>I think you don't need to raise your spm. And yes, as you increase it, you will feel more unconfortable. But I think that what you should be doing, as a begginner, is to increase your aerobic capacity, technique and sport-specific strength. So, try to do long workouts at low spm (between 18-24), at a confortable damper set, mantaining 65-75% of your max strength until the end.<br><br>About your knee, the only thing I can say is that it is not normal... keep an eye on it!<br><br>Hope I helped you, somehow!<br>Keep rowing,<br>AM.

[old] denisrricard

Training

Post by [old] denisrricard » August 7th, 2004, 5:11 pm

Yes it's helpful, thanks I'll try to keep my spm moderate until I get a better hang for it and feel comfortable on the erg and raise it slowly. Right now I'm skipping a day so my knee gets better and I'll start back slowly tomorrow.<br><br>Thanks!<br>D.

[old] Phil

Training

Post by [old] Phil » August 8th, 2004, 5:34 am

You should only be using high spm for very short pieces. Even when you get very good, you'll still want to use low spms for longer pieces; you'll just pull faster splits!