Motivate Me Please!

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Mark Keating

Training

Post by [old] Mark Keating » July 22nd, 2004, 11:28 pm

I have been rowing 3 to 5 times per week for about 16 weeks, usually about 20' steady state at UT1 or AT (plus warmup/down time) and have begun rowing strapless recently. I have made good gains physically over this time, losing about 5 kg, gaining some muscle tone and generally enjoying higher energy levels. The last week or two has been a bit of a struggle to get out of bed in time to work out before heading off to work. I am not sure why - I haven't been sleeping as sound as normal for the last little while as well, maybe that's all it is. But then again maybe all I need is a swift kick in the arse!<br>Any ideas to get me over this hump would be appreciated. My current schedule limits me to about 40' total workout time (w/u, stretch, row, w/d, stretch) in the early morning.<br>Thanks again!<br><br>Mark

[old] John Rupp

Training

Post by [old] John Rupp » July 23rd, 2004, 1:47 am

Relax your breathing when you're going to sleep. Breathe slowly, breathe out, don't breathe in just enough but not too much, relax your breathing totally. The slower and more relaxed your breathing, the easier you will drift off to sleep.<br><br>Keep your stroke rate going, and use the straps.

[old] Phil

Training

Post by [old] Phil » July 23rd, 2004, 2:15 am

Try mixing it up a bit. Do some longer sessions, or maybe some power ergs (15 seconds on, 15 seconds light, with the 15 seconds on at increasing ratings, eg. 26,28,30,32, 26,...). When you're rowing at low ratings, strapless is better.

[old] eurofoot13

Training

Post by [old] eurofoot13 » July 23rd, 2004, 8:31 am

pick a goal. <br><br>say.... I dunno what you're at now, but drop 5 seconds off your 5k pr in the next 5 weeks. then work towards that goal. if you hold yourself accountable for reaching it, you will find it easier to get up, it's just when there's no real way to measure your progress that you get satisfied.

LindaM

Training

Post by LindaM » July 23rd, 2004, 8:36 am

When I'm feeling less motivated and less strong, I like to do 8 x 5:00 minutes w/3:00 rests (paddling with good form) at a pace about 5 seconds per split faster than I do my 10K. The combination of pulling harder but for shorter periods, usually jump starts my motivation again. <br><br>