Slides And Core Muscles

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Barry Delaney

Training

Post by [old] Barry Delaney » July 12th, 2004, 7:04 pm

Looking seriously at buying slides, had a few specific questions. Not that interested in the debate over whether or not they improve times. I occasionally feel strain in the lower back, and the consensus seems to be that the slides help alleviate this. My question is do they still work the core muscles in a productive way. It seems to me that a great deal of the work put in by the core is in the recovery. If the slides send you back with less effort, is the core workout diminished? Also, I erg in the living room and have to set up every time. How much additional time to set up with slides, assuming a level floor? Appreciate the input.<br><br>Barry Delaney

[old] LacticAcid

Training

Post by [old] LacticAcid » July 12th, 2004, 8:00 pm

While I don't have slides myself, I'd assume the slides would give you a differrent kind of workout altogether as compared to a stationary erg. I can't see a diminished "core" workout if it's a different experience altogether. If the slides are supposed to simulate a boat on water, would you compare a stationary erg on a hard floor as the same? <br><br>One glance at the slides tells me that you lift one end of the erg and place it on the slide then do the other end as well, so let's say less than a minute to set up?<br><br>and..A level floor of course!<br><br>If you want to try something really sweet and you have a pool in your backyard. Buy some giant foam blocks, hollow them out and fit both ends of the erg into the blocks, then be really careful not to tip over in the pool, hop on your "S.S. C2 Indoor Rower" and row verrry carefully! I bet you'll find some new core muscles trying to keep your balance. ha ha!

[old] remador

Training

Post by [old] remador » July 13th, 2004, 7:27 am

Hello!<br><br>Although I do not have any technical data confirming my assumption, I'd say that when I'm working with slides I feel that I am more close to a racing shell, mostly for one thing: I feel I am using a lot more of leg power than without it (this may be a matter of technique). On the other hand, if this is true, you will be using more trunk muscles, to answer your question. In fact, rowers know that, as they build leg power from training, they will have to build up trunk muscles at the same level, so that they won't be hurt by the transmission of leg power to the handle through trunk.<br><br>Keep rowing,<br>AM.<br>

[old] Canoeist

Training

Post by [old] Canoeist » July 13th, 2004, 8:13 am

I frequently use my slides. I store them leaning against a wall in my basement. It takes about a minute to place them on the floor, put the erg on, and adjust the alignment.<br><br>Rowing with slides is slightly different than without. But I don't think that the difference is large enough to worry about which muscles are being used.<br><br>Rowing with slides seems easier on the back. It seems that the effort is a little more concentrated in the legs.<br><br>I prefer workouts on slides. But slides are only allowed in the Newburysport IRC. So I do most of my fall and winter training without slides.<br><br>Cheers,<br><br>Paul Flack