Using The Training Guielines

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] MKC

Training

Post by [old] MKC » June 27th, 2004, 7:57 am

Morning,<br> I'm using the training guide from the UK website (or attempting to ...).<br>I can get the level of effort correct for my HR but I can not get the spm or watts to add up for a session as is recommended in the guide. I have tried setting the damper setting differently but I still am not quite there yet.<br>Can anyone provide any assistance?<br>Regards,<br>MKC

[old] DougB

Training

Post by [old] DougB » June 27th, 2004, 9:21 pm

I had the same problem as you when I tried this plan last year: I could either train within the heart rate ranges or within the pace range, but not both. And the stroke rates require a lot of power, perhaps more than most people can handle (especially for lightweights like myself). I elected to ignore my heart rate and follow the pace range, but the workouts ended up being too hard - there didn't seem to be any easy days! So, maybe following the heart rate guidelines would have been better. I ended up abandoning the plan because it was just plain too tough, taking all the fun out of rowing.<br><br>One point to keep in mind, if you don't know this already, is that the paces range from the rate listed in the column to the rate to the left. So for a 7:00 2K, UT1 pace ranges from 1:56 to 2:01. Perhaps starting at the slow end of the range will make it easier for you to follow the plan.<br><br>To get a feel for how tough the UK training guide can be, try the "hour of pain" weight workout in chapter 7. I lasted about 10 minutes and never tried a second time.<br>