Cleaning Tips

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Galt

General

Post by [old] Galt » December 6th, 2005, 2:34 pm

I got these tips from Mark at C2.<br /><br />Some of this is probably in the book, but Here they are.<br /><br />Our rollers have been squeaking badly lately, even though we clean them and the rail as well as possible every time.<br /><br />I followed his following suggestion..<br /><br />Remove the rear leg assembly on the rail. This is a little tough because the 2 nuts under the upper 2 bolts are in very close quarters. I took a very thin screwdriver and wedged it between the nut and the rail with a little pressure when I loosened the nut, and with a little trial and error I got them off.<br /><br />Slide the seat off of the rail.<br /><br />Clean both the rollers and the rail with a non-scratching scotchbrite pad and a general household cleaner like 409 or fantastik.<br /><br />The nylon rollers have an imbedded lubricant in them. Any dust or dirt on the rail gets mixed with this stuff and forms a kind of slurry. This gunk then gets transferrred back and forth from roller to rail. The above should get the rollers back to a nice clean state.<br /><br />

[old] mpukita

General

Post by [old] mpukita » December 6th, 2005, 4:36 pm

I take the lazy man's approach and just wet a rag with Windex and wipe down the rail and the rollers (all 4 individually, with solid pressure, while I roll the seat to keep the rollers moving against the rag). <br /><br />I do this every 20K or so (that seems to be when the build-up starts. Seems to work pretty well if you stay after it and don't allow the dirt and gunk to build up.

[old] Byron Drachman

General

Post by [old] Byron Drachman » December 6th, 2005, 5:27 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I take the lazy man's approach and just wet a rag with Windex and wipe down the rail and the rollers (all 4 individually, with solid pressure, while I roll the seat to keep the rollers moving against the rag). </td></tr></table> <br /><br />Hi Mark,<br /><br />I do almost the same thing, except I use a spray bottle with a mixture of water and soap (Simple Green) instead of Windex. When I finish a workout, I clean the rail and the rollers the same way you do. I also clean the handle. Once a month or so, I lubricate the chain following the instructions of C2. <br /><br />Byron<br /><br />

[old] mpukita

General

Post by [old] mpukita » December 6th, 2005, 6:58 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Byron Drachman+Dec 6 2005, 05:27 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Byron Drachman @ Dec 6 2005, 05:27 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I take the lazy man's approach and just wet a rag with Windex and wipe down the rail and the rollers (all 4 individually, with solid pressure, while I roll the seat to keep the rollers moving against the rag). </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hi Mark,<br /><br />I do almost the same thing, except I use a spray bottle with a mixture of water and soap (Simple Green) instead of Windex. When I finish a workout, I clean the rail and the rollers the same way you do. I also clean the handle. Once a month or so, I lubricate the chain following the instructions of C2. <br /><br />Byron <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Byron:<br /><br />I've got to add the handle to my cleaning process. It gets gunked up and I just wipe it with my sweat removal towel. Probably ought to clean it better. Might reduce the blisters/calluses just a bit.<br /><br />I also do the chain every 50 hours as C2 recommends.<br /><br />Thanks!<br /><br />-- Mark

[old] Galt

General

Post by [old] Galt » December 6th, 2005, 8:27 pm

I had been doing the same thing with the rail and rollers.<br /><br />Guess what.... when you take the seat off you will find 6 rollers, not just 4.

[old] Stretch

General

Post by [old] Stretch » December 6th, 2005, 9:07 pm

Two free rollers! Who says C2 doesn't give you a lot for your money?

[old] mpukita

General

Post by [old] mpukita » December 6th, 2005, 9:27 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Galt+Dec 6 2005, 08:27 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Galt @ Dec 6 2005, 08:27 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I had been doing the same thing with the rail and rollers.<br /><br />Guess what.... when you take the seat off you will find 6 rollers, not just 4. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Ahhh haaa ...

[old] Byron Drachman

General

Post by [old] Byron Drachman » December 7th, 2005, 9:07 am

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Guess what.... when you take the seat off you will find 6 rollers, not just 4. </td></tr></table> <br /><br />Yep. I clean those sometimes, but they don't seem to get as dirty or need the attention as much as the ones that take the load. <br /><br />A clean ergometer is a happy ergometer.<br /><br />Byron

[old] Terry S

General

Post by [old] Terry S » December 10th, 2005, 5:24 pm

I clean the rail and rollers daily with a damp paper towel after using it to moisten my chest for the Polar HRM transmitter. Works fine.<br /><br />I've had "squeak at the catch" problems in the past, and some helpful person at C2 (don't remember his name--it was a few years ago) suggested a few drops of chain oil applied near the front end of the rail and lightly rubbed onto it. It's always fixed the problem. Be careful with Scotch Brite pads. I believe they're recommended to rub out knife scratches in a Corian countertop. Perhaps the soft side of the pad is what's recommended.<br /> <br />I removed the seat today, just to have a look. Pleased to report my rollers are clean. Good to find out what goes on under there--including verifying the presence of six rollers--four doing the heavy lifting and two keeping the seat from jumping off the rail in a sprint! <br /><br />Halfway home in the HC--<br /><br />TS