How Often Is Too Much (the Real One)

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] kheflin

General

Post by [old] kheflin » July 16th, 2005, 12:42 am

Alright let's try this poll again. Hope it works this time!<br /><br />message as previously posted:<br /><br />At my school during our main season, my coach likes to test us once a week, with a steady state the day after, then basically alternating shorter sprint pieces (such as an 8 by 500m) with slower days (such at 40 minute medium intensity) and then two days before, a sprint 5 by 5 minute, with the day right before being the pre-2K or pre-6K (whatever the test is) being usually a 24 minute piece with 20 stroke sprints at our test piece pace every 4 minutes. <br /><br />It's nice to have this weekly routine set up, so we know what to expect and how to prepare, and its good for him to keep track of our weekly progress. But is it too often to really reach our full potential of personal records? Or is it not often enough? Vote your best answer, and leave a comment if necessary.

[old] Canoeist

General

Post by [old] Canoeist » July 16th, 2005, 6:57 am

For a program where people are improving rapidly, such as in a college or school team, I think a test every 2 weeks would show steady gains and keep everyone motivated. You will probably be racing every weekend during race season, so testing every other week should be good training.<br /><br />For old guys such as me, who aren't going to improve, testing this often is not needed. But, I voted for testing every two weeks since the question was targeted to new competitive rowers.<br /><br />Regards,<br /><br />Paul Flack