Comparison To Schwinn Windrigger

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] rowandover

General

Post by [old] rowandover » July 6th, 2004, 4:04 pm

I have been rowing using a Schwinn Windrigger at a local health club and am looking to purchase a rower for use at home. Can anyone tell me how the Concept2 compares including the erg times.

[old] Canoeist

General

Post by [old] Canoeist » July 12th, 2004, 12:59 pm

You should really try the Concept erg before you buy any other erg. There are many available at gyms and hotels. Look on the main Concept site for a listing of ergs in your area.<br><br>One of the reasons many of us use the Concept erg is that there are many motivational programs that go along with the erg. No other erg has races with 3,000 participants such as the British Indoor Rowing Championship. No other erg has on-line rankings, free T-shirts for meters rowed, mugs for marathons, etc. No other erg has on-line workouts and races with rowers from all over the world. In short, you are not just buying an erg. You are buying an exercise program that you will stick with long after the Windrower is growing dust in the closet. Also, Concept makes a fair decent machine. <br><br>Cheers,<br><br>Paul Flack<br><br>(I don't work for Concept and call things like I see them.)<br><br>

[old] dingrr

General

Post by [old] dingrr » August 7th, 2004, 4:48 am

I looked into the Schwinn a few years back and found one major drawback. At the catch, the belt tightened down on itself a bit before your pull started spinning the fan blades. This resulted in a short loss of energy transfer with each stroke, sort of like the chain slipping off of a gear tooth but smooth. Probably not a big deal if you've never been on a Concept2 erg but I found it very annoying. I highly recommend the Concept2.

[old] brianric

General

Post by [old] brianric » September 2nd, 2004, 8:24 pm

One reason why I like the Concept 2 over any other rower on the market is the solid support one gets from the manufacturer of the rower. Parts and rebuild kits are available for all their models, including the Model A, which came out in 1981. Name one other company where you can get parts for a machine model not made since 1986.

[old] grandslam

General

Post by [old] grandslam » September 4th, 2004, 6:16 pm

The C2 is a fantastic machine, but don't stop with the basic package. You really need to add the slides if you want to feel like you're rowing and not just sitting at a leg press with an arm pulling attachment . Static "rowing" machines of any brand are a very poor excuse for simulating real rowing compared to a dynamic machine (C2 on slides). Folks that have never rowed on the water don't know what I'm talking about, but believe me, there is a huge difference in the feel. The slides take more room and time to set up (main reason you don't see the switch over at indoor erg competitions imho), but it's worth the trouble. Your scores may or may not improve on the slides, and they are allowed in the rankings.<br><br>Cheers, <br>Jeff Sauter

[old] brianric

General

Post by [old] brianric » September 4th, 2004, 7:14 pm

Slides may be great, but I do not have the room for slides.