Circ - Canadian Indoor Rowing Championships Result

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] BigFatFishy

Competitions

Post by [old] BigFatFishy » February 7th, 2006, 12:46 pm

Since the official CIRC website seems to be having some trouble, here is a link to the Ronin Racing page that has the results.<br /><br /><a href='http://www.roninracing.com/resultsevent ... &pt=rowing' target='_blank'>http://www.roninracing.com/resultsevent ... ing</a><br /><br />We'll have to wait for the official CIRC site to come back up in order to see pictures (if they have any).<br /><br />

[old] Spectator

Competitions

Post by [old] Spectator » February 7th, 2006, 1:16 pm

Try this:<br /><br /><a href='http://www.cdnindoorrowing.org/' target='_blank'>http://www.cdnindoorrowing.org/</a>

[old] Rate35

Competitions

Post by [old] Rate35 » February 7th, 2006, 8:43 pm

I must say as a first time competitor there I would not return, your not allowed to touch your monitor in any way, your suppose to ask the lane official. Mine and several other peoples monitors were set to display the time in the race like how far time wise your into it, not average split so I couldnt see what my average split was. Before the race I went to hit change units, one button hit it once but the official was like no you cant so I asked her to do it and shes like no you cant meanwhile the kid next to me has his set to average split. VERY frustrating!! When your in your race I guess you could estimate your average split and where you are with how many meters left and how far into it you are time wise but during a race maybe I just speak for myself but I dont think nor do I want to have to think about those kinds of things, I usually say to hit targets and can tell if I hit them by my average because honestly I cant remember what I pulled 15-20 strokes ago to makeup an average.

[old] Citroen

Competitions

Post by [old] Citroen » February 8th, 2006, 1:47 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Rate35+Feb 8 2006, 12:43 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Rate35 @ Feb 8 2006, 12:43 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I must say as a first time competitor there I would not return, your not allowed to touch your monitor in any way, your suppose to ask the lane official. Mine and several other peoples monitors were set to display the time in the race like how far time wise your into it, not average split so I couldnt see what my average split was. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Amazing. What a very strange ruling. <br /><br />It's a shame that the C2 venue racing software doesn't pre-set the PM3s to show average split (since that's what most of us want for a race) when you download the current racing data at the start of a race. (It might be worth e-mailing ScottH @ Concept2 . com to get that feechur added.) Either that or the coxes need to be told to reset it to that display after each race is complete. <br /><br />At the Surrey competition, I was coxing Niall Williams - his display wasn't set right and we had no trouble changing it while he was rowing. It's got to be on average split for me. <br /><br />You do have some control over the start of the race. They can't start until all ergs are stationary. The venue racing software won't go to the "Ready, Attention, Row" sequence while it detects that any erg is moving. So just keep lightly tugging on your handle and they can't start the race - then they'd have to either fix you (with a baseball bat ) or fix the erg for you.

[old] DougB

Competitions

Post by [old] DougB » February 8th, 2006, 3:38 pm

I had the same problem at the Mid-Atlantic Erg Sprints, for the second year in a row (my bad luck), and I heard other rowers complain as well. I think that showing the elapsed time instead of the average pace cost me almost 2 seconds, as my average ended up being 1:39.4 instead of the 1:39.0 I was aiming for. I saw 1:39's almost the entire race, but I guess there were a few more 1:40's than 1:38's.<br /><br />Afterwards I walked around and saw that most other monitors were set the same way, though some did show the average pace.<br /><br />We were told not to touch the monitors also, and since I'm not too familiar with the Model D I didn't know what to change, anyway. During warmup the monitors were controlled centrally, so even when I was pushing buttons nothing happened. So instead I concentrated on my warmup and the drag factor and forgot all about the display.

[old] rspenger

Competitions

Post by [old] rspenger » February 8th, 2006, 4:11 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-DougB+Feb 8 2006, 12:38 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(DougB @ Feb 8 2006, 12:38 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I had the same problem at the Mid-Atlantic Erg Sprints, for the second year in a row (my bad luck), and I heard other rowers complain as well.  I think that showing the elapsed time instead of the average pace cost me almost 2 seconds, as my average ended up being 1:39.4 instead of the 1:39.0 I was aiming for.  I saw 1:39's almost the entire race, but I guess there were a few more 1:40's than 1:38's. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />This brings up a question. Does the monitor round off or truncate? If it simply rounds off, a reading of 1:39 could be as high as 1:39.4 or even 1:39.5 (depending on its round off rules). If it truncates, it could be as high as 1:39.9 and you are really in deep in the stuff. I have had the impression that it truncates, so this means that you have to try to hold it at 1:38 if you want to end up with a sure 1:39 average. Of course that applies to the rounding off as well, but not quite as drastically.<br /><br />Bob S.

[old] ehagberg

Competitions

Post by [old] ehagberg » February 8th, 2006, 5:11 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-rspenger+Feb 8 2006, 03:11 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(rspenger @ Feb 8 2006, 03:11 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->This brings up a question. Does the monitor round off or truncate? If it simply rounds off, a reading of 1:39 could be as high as 1:39.4 or even 1:39.5 (depending on its round off rules). If it truncates, it could be as high as 1:39.9 and you are really in deep in the stuff. I have had the impression that it truncates, so this means that you have to try to hold it at 1:38 if you want to end up with a sure 1:39 average. Of course that applies to the rounding off as well, but not quite as drastically.<br /><br />Bob S. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />I was under the impression that it actually rounds up, so that if you pull all 1:39's, you'll have a 1:38.something average. At least it seems to work that way to me.

[old] Citroen

Competitions

Post by [old] Citroen » February 8th, 2006, 6:39 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-DougB+Feb 8 2006, 07:38 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(DougB @ Feb 8 2006, 07:38 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->We were told not to touch the monitors also, and since I'm not too familiar with the Model D I didn't know what to change, anyway.  During warmup the monitors were controlled centrally, so even when I was pushing buttons nothing happened.  So instead I concentrated on my warmup and the drag factor and forgot all about the display. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Press the [change units] button until the display shows avg split. <br /><br /><a href='http://www.concept2.com/05/rower/servic ... isplay.doc' target='_blank'>http://www.concept2.com/05/rower/servic ... doc</a><br /><a href='http://www.concept2.com/05/rower/servic ... estart.doc' target='_blank'>http://www.concept2.com/05/rower/servic ... art.doc</a>

[old] PaulS

Competitions

Post by [old] PaulS » February 8th, 2006, 6:54 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-ehagberg+Feb 8 2006, 01:11 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(ehagberg @ Feb 8 2006, 01:11 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-rspenger+Feb 8 2006, 03:11 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(rspenger @ Feb 8 2006, 03:11 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->This brings up a question. Does the monitor round off or truncate? If it simply rounds off, a reading of 1:39 could be as high as 1:39.4 or even 1:39.5 (depending on its round off rules). If it truncates, it could be as high as 1:39.9 and you are really in deep in the stuff. I have had the impression that it truncates, so this means that you have to try to hold it at 1:38 if you want to end up with a sure 1:39 average. Of course that applies to the rounding off as well, but not quite as drastically.<br /><br />Bob S. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />I was under the impression that it actually rounds up, so that if you pull all 1:39's, you'll have a 1:38.something average. At least it seems to work that way to me. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />PM2 and later Round for the displayed pace. 1:40 means 1:39.5 - 1:40.4<br />PM1 Truncated the displayed pace. 1:40 means 1:40.0-1:40.9

[old] John Rupp

Competitions

Post by [old] John Rupp » February 8th, 2006, 7:48 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-DougB+Feb 8 2006, 11:38 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(DougB @ Feb 8 2006, 11:38 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->the monitors were controlled centrally, so even when I was pushing buttons nothing happened. </td></tr></table><br /><br />Are you sure it wasn't a voting machine. <br />

[old] mpukita

Competitions

Post by [old] mpukita » February 8th, 2006, 7:59 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-John Rupp+Feb 8 2006, 07:48 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(John Rupp @ Feb 8 2006, 07:48 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-DougB+Feb 8 2006, 11:38 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(DougB @ Feb 8 2006, 11:38 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->the monitors were controlled centrally, so even when I was pushing buttons nothing happened. </td></tr></table><br /><br />Are you sure it wasn't a voting machine. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />John, have you been spending time talking with Teresa Kerry?<br /><br />

[old] c2scott

Competitions

Post by [old] c2scott » February 8th, 2006, 9:43 pm

It's up to the race organizers to make the local rules about touching the monitor. I think some organizers are concerned that the user can do something to the monitor to make the system not work. In the races that I attend, I advise the organizers to allow and encourage setting of units before the race. After you get to the Stop/Prepare to Start stage, the buttons do nothing until after "ROW" disappears.<br /><br />I will add the "reset to avg pace" to the list of features reqeusted for next year.<br /><br />Other information: After the race is complete, and the computer has collected all the results, you can hit change-display to get your individual splits. If the computer has not retrieved all the results, this button is locked out. LogCards and HR equipment is currently not supported. Those are on the list for next year as well.<br /><br />Each year I get complaints of people being "off" their normal time. Please remember that your start is NOT the same as a workout start: the clock starts when it says "ROW". With a workout you have already gotten the flywheel spinning enough for the PM3 to say "Hey, I have a stroke here, let's start the clock". So on race day you ARE penalized for your reaction time -- that's part of the event. <br /><br />I'll double check the firmware about the split rounding/truncating/etc. issue.<br /><br />-- Scott<br />

[old] John Rupp

Competitions

Post by [old] John Rupp » February 8th, 2006, 10:03 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-c2scott+Feb 8 2006, 05:43 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(c2scott @ Feb 8 2006, 05:43 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Each year I get complaints of people being "off" their normal time.  Please remember that your start is NOT the same as a workout start:  the clock starts when it says "ROW".  With a workout you have already gotten the flywheel spinning enough for the PM3 to say "Hey, I have a stroke here, let's start the clock". </td></tr></table><br /><br />In a race venue, it doesn't start when you take a stroke.<br /><br /><!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->So on race day you ARE penalized for your reaction time -- that's part of the event.  </td></tr></table><br /><br />Penalized for reacting prompty to "ROW"?<br /><br />So what's the right procedure then. Wait a few seconds after ROW and then start?<br /><br />Do some rowers get more time penalties than others, i.e. if they haven't used the right training methods. <br /><br />

[old] John Rupp

Competitions

Post by [old] John Rupp » February 8th, 2006, 10:04 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Feb 8 2006, 03:59 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Feb 8 2006, 03:59 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->John, have you been spending time talking with Teresa Kerry?<br /><br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />No, I spoke with the voters. <br />

[old] NavigationHazard

Competitions

Post by [old] NavigationHazard » February 9th, 2006, 2:12 am

To be a little fair to the Canadian race organizers, the 'local rule' about not touching the monitor yourself prior to your race was set in advance of the regatta and was explicitly mentioned in the <a href='http://www.cdnindoorrowing.org/raceday.html' target='_blank'>Race Day info</a> for competitors:<br /><br /><!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hand in your Race Card to the lane official and listen to any instructions from the starter or lane officials.  You are allowed to adjust the damper setting on the flywheel if you like but DO NOT TOUCH THE PM3 monitor FOR ANY REASON.  Ask the Lane Official to make any adjustments you need. </td></tr></table><br /><br />Don't heats at an event need to start in a timely manner? If a verbal "sit at attention, ready to row" or its equivalent had been given, according to CIRC rules all competitors were supposed to sit still (waiting for the race computer to begin the countdown as soon as it sensed that all the flywheels had stopped spinning). Had I been the Lane Official in question, after any such starter command I probably wouldn't have honored a request to change the display either. And as C2Scott points out, once the "Stop/Prepare To Row" command appears on the screen and the automatic pre-race sequence starts the monitor display can't be changed even if you want to. <br /><br />Mind you, I wasn't in Toronto and don't know diddly about what did/didn't happen when. I do however think it a bit unfair to castigate the organizers (whom I don't know from Adam and/or Eve) without hearing their side of things. Maybe someone from St. Catherine's Rowing can clarify matters.