Mid Atlantic Sprints - Compete Or Just Watch?

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] jschuman

Competitions

Post by [old] jschuman » January 12th, 2006, 11:45 am

I am new to erging - been doing it since the end of November. I am a 33 yr old guy and live in the Northern Virginia area, very close to where the Mid Atlantic Sprints are held (in Alexandria, VA). My PB for 2000m is 7:53.5.<br /><br />I was thinking of going to the competitions on Feb. 4th just to observe and see what they're like, but I'm wondering if I should just enter for the heck of it and have fun.<br /><br />What do you think? I'm new to the erging community - what event would I enter? (I'm assuming 30-39 Open 2000m). Will I be a total embarassment with that time? <br /><br />Thanks!<br /><br />- Jeff

[old] dennish

Competitions

Post by [old] dennish » January 12th, 2006, 12:08 pm

My advice and its only that, my thinking. Jump in and do. Make a connection between your workouts where you are the only one who knows how much you are doing and a public statement about what you are doing. Results, viv a vis winning or besting a mob of people is of little consequence. Lay down your best effort and then you have nothing but satisfaction goin' on. Having been on both ends, winning and playing, I got tons more satisfaction out of being my best than fussing about position in a race. The ranking will either happen or it won't, but knowing you gave it the best you had lasts a very very long time. The placing, the ranking, the comparisons are incidental to the dignity of your effort. my 2 cents. dennis

[old] jschuman

Competitions

Post by [old] jschuman » January 12th, 2006, 12:16 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-dennish+Jan 12 2006, 12:08 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(dennish @ Jan 12 2006, 12:08 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->My advice and its only that, my thinking. Jump in and do. Make a connection between your workouts where you are the only one who knows how much you are doing and a public statement about what you are doing. Results, viv a vis winning or besting a mob of people is of little consequence. Lay down your best effort and then you have nothing but satisfaction goin' on. Having been on both ends, winning and playing, I got tons more satisfaction out of being my best than fussing about position in a race. The ranking will either happen or it won't, but knowing you gave it the best you had lasts a very very long time. The placing, the ranking, the comparisons are incidental to the dignity of your effort. my 2 cents. dennis <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Thanks for your advice. I <u>definitely</u> would not be worried about my rankings/standing against others - this would really just be for me to go, enjoy the atmosphere, have fun, and meet new people. I would give it my all for the race and be satisfied whatever the outcome.<br />

[old] DavidA

Competitions

Post by [old] DavidA » January 12th, 2006, 4:33 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-jschuman+Jan 12 2006, 10:45 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jschuman @ Jan 12 2006, 10:45 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I am new to erging - been doing it since the end of November.  I am a 33 yr old guy and live in the Northern Virginia area, very close to where the Mid Atlantic Sprints are held (in Alexandria, VA).  My PB for 2000m is 7:53.5.<br /><br />I was thinking of going to the competitions on Feb. 4th just to observe and see what they're like, but I'm wondering if I should just enter for the heck of it and have fun.<br /><br />What do you think?  I'm new to the erging community - what event would I enter?  (I'm assuming 30-39 Open 2000m).  Will I be a total embarassment with that time?  <br /><br />Thanks!<br /><br />- Jeff <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Jeff,<br /> I think that you should enter. It is very exciting to be in the competition even you aren't going to challenging for a top prize. There will quite possibly be someone in your heat with a similar time to you who can try to beat if you want, and you can just enjoy yourself and try to push yourself to see what you can do. It is also fun to watch many of the other competitors. Good luck, and have a great time!<br /><br />David<br />

[old] John Hendrie

Competitions

Post by [old] John Hendrie » January 13th, 2006, 10:30 am

I had the same concerns when I entered my first GSIRC but decided to do it and was very happy with that decision (doing my third on Feb 4). Try to find someone in the forum who has been there for advice and show up early so you can observe how things work. Don't worry about your performance - nobody will be watching you (unless you have grand children who show up as mine do every year). The adrenaline might push you to new heigths as it does for me<br /><br />Good luck<br /><br />john

[old] kinley

Competitions

Post by [old] kinley » January 14th, 2006, 10:26 am

Jeff,<br /><br />Have a reasonable plan and stick to it for the first 1000 at least. By "reasonable" I mean based on something you've actually done before, not wishful thinking. <br /><br />If your adrenaline is still rushing at the half way point, start building to a more ambitious pace, and the last 500, obviously, go for broke. <br /><br />When I was in school and rowing regular 2k tests, I would sometimes take a 3x5 index card, write my projected splits in thick felt marker, and put the card between my feet where I could see it as I rowed. The first 500 pace is at the top, the second split underneath, then the third split, which you can adjust on the fly, and the fourth 500 at the bottom represented by a row of question marks.<br /><br />If you succumb to adrenaline at the beginning, those question marks will have an unhappy answer.<br /><br />Have a great race >>>----> Kinley

[old] jschuman

Competitions

Post by [old] jschuman » January 15th, 2006, 2:44 pm

<br /><br />As it turns out, Feb. 4th is the first morning of indoor soccer for my son. He is 3.5 and I have agreed to take him on Saturdays. My wife graciously volunteered to take him this first week, but then 1) he would be disappointed and 2) I'd be going to the competition alone. So it looks like I will be sitting it out this year, but will plan for next year.<br /><br />Good luck to all!!<br /><br />Jeff

[old] avgibson

Competitions

Post by [old] avgibson » February 5th, 2006, 9:29 am

<!--QuoteBegin-jschuman+Jan 15 2006, 02:44 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jschuman @ Jan 15 2006, 02:44 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->             <br /><br />As it turns out, Feb. 4th is the first morning of indoor soccer for my son.  He is 3.5 and I have agreed to take him on Saturdays.  My wife graciously volunteered to take him this first week, but then 1) he would be disappointed and 2) I'd be going to the competition alone.  So it looks like I will be sitting it out this year, but will plan for next year.<br /><br />Good luck to all!!<br /><br />Jeff <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Jeff,<br /><br />I just participated in the Mid-Atlantic Sprints (first event I've ever done) and had a blast. I'm pretty new to rowing as well. My wife took the kids to basketball practice so I went to the Sprints alone, but met a lot of really friendly people. Great atmosphere! Definitely try to make it next year.<br /><br />Andy<br />Burke, VA

[old] John Hendrie

Competitions

Post by [old] John Hendrie » February 5th, 2006, 9:34 am

I agree with Andy. Yesterday I participated in the GSIRC (my third). I didn't set any records but did meet my goal and had a great time with a lot of family there to cheer me on (including 4 grand children). I even had a fellow Ancient Mariner in the cheering section. In the seat next to me was an 84 year old who almost broke 9 minutes. Good for him.<br /><br />Anyone who can compete should do so. It is great<br /><br />john

[old] jschuman

Competitions

Post by [old] jschuman » February 7th, 2006, 6:20 pm

Andy, John,<br /><br />Thanks for the report. Sorry I missed it, as it sounds very fun. If this was not the <b>first</b> week of soccer I would have joined in.<br /><br />I will plan on making it next year and hopefully meeting lots of people. With 1 year advanced notice, hopefully I can bring a cheering section. <br /><br />Jeff