1st Annual Boston Erging Marathon

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Canoeist

Competitions

Post by [old] Canoeist » December 3rd, 2004, 11:53 pm

I was chatting after a workout with Joachim Otto from Germany about "the" Boston Marathon. Joachim is more of a runner than a rower and said that he often dreams of running Boston. I told him that I was moving to a house 1/2 mile from the #15 mile marker, and that I could provide food and housing for his visit. But I told him that I couldn't run the marathon due to a bad ankle. Then I thought maybe I could drag my rower down the road, park it on the sidelines and row a marathon. Is anybody else interested in watching the Boston Marathon (and cheering for Joachim) while rowing a marathon? <br><br>The Boston Marathon will be run on Monday, April 18, 2005. The course is shown on: <br><a href='http://www.bostonmarathon.org/BostonMar ... seMaps.pdf' target='_blank'>http://www.bostonmarathon.org/BostonMar ... aps.pdf</a> It would have to be a "Bring-Your-Own-Erg" or "Borrow-Your-Own-Erg" event. I would start rowing at the start of the running race so that I would finish when the last runners passed mile #15.<br><br>If you can't run it, row it!<br><br>Paul Flack<br><br><br><br>

[old] Bayko

Competitions

Post by [old] Bayko » December 4th, 2004, 8:51 am

Would that spot be just before the big downhill into Newton Lower Falls? Do you think that you could set up the ergs so that the view of the runners wouldn't be blocked off by spectators?<br><br>I'd run Boston 12 times between 1966 and 1987 but can no longer go that far either. Erging with you while watching has a certain appeal, at least at first thought. I'll definitely mull it over. It's a possibility.<br><br>Rick

[old] Canoeist

Competitions

Post by [old] Canoeist » December 4th, 2004, 11:42 pm

You know more about the race course than I do. I have never seen the race - even on TV. Are there spectators everywhere? Several rows deep? I wanted to find a spot where I could watch the race. Maybe I should wait a year to figgure out the logistics? There must be some place along the route where it isn't so crowded with spectators that an erg wouldn't be an obstruction to runners and pedestrian spectators.<br><br>Paul Flack

[old] eparizeau

Competitions

Post by [old] eparizeau » December 5th, 2004, 10:49 am

Paul - Great idea. I did it last year with two other guys on marathon day & it was fun. We were all dissapointed that our knees couldn't take running it anymore, so we rowed instead... I could probably talk them into it again. <br><br>Maybe we could get C2 to rent a big flatbed truck and set it up at the top of heartbreak hill with a bunch of ergs...Good marketing, no? That way we would all have a good view, and the crowd would see the ergs. Lots of music & excitement. <br>(C2 Marketing Dept. are you lurking out there? Paul has a great idea ! )<br><br>Best, Ernie

[old] stkcoal@comcast.net

Competitions

Post by [old] stkcoal@comcast.net » December 5th, 2004, 8:17 pm

I would love to participate in that marathon. Count me in.<br><br>Joe Drinon 61/LWT/7:50/Ancient Mariner

[old] Slowboat

Competitions

Post by [old] Slowboat » December 7th, 2004, 1:14 pm

Hi Paul,<br><br>For those who can't make it over to Boston, can you set up a RowPro Boston Marathon <br><br>I'd definately take part in the event with other ergers who want to take part online.

[old] FrankJ

Competitions

Post by [old] FrankJ » December 7th, 2004, 6:44 pm

Hi Paul,<br><br>Count me in. Sounds like it would be a great time. I was never able to qualify for Boston as a runner but I'm almost 20 years older and 25 minutes faster using the erg. <br><br>Frank

[old] LeonCrewDewd

Competitions

Post by [old] LeonCrewDewd » December 14th, 2004, 8:38 pm

MY dad has run the Boston running marathong something like 6 or 7 times... he says he loves it.

[old] Canoeist

Competitions

Post by [old] Canoeist » December 15th, 2004, 9:15 am

<!--QuoteBegin-eparizeau+Dec 5 2004, 02:49 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (eparizeau @ Dec 5 2004, 02:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Paul - Great idea. I did it last year with two other guys on marathon day & it was fun. We were all dissapointed that our knees couldn't take running it anymore, so we rowed instead... I could probably talk them into it again. <br><br>Maybe we could get C2 to rent a big flatbed truck and set it up at the top of heartbreak hill with a bunch of ergs...Good marketing, no? That way we would all have a good view, and the crowd would see the ergs. Lots of music & excitement. <br>(C2 Marketing Dept. are you lurking out there? Paul has a great idea ! )<br><br>Best, Ernie <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> Ernie,<br><br>Did you erg at home or next to the race course?<br><br>I was thinking the same thing about marketing the erg. I suspect that there a lot of want-to-be marathoners who can't run the distance but who would like to stay in shape. Showing that there is a viable alternative during the worlds most popular marathon should get good exposure. <br><br>I posted here and on the Digital Rowing forum. It could be a good public relations/advertisement for both. Digital Rowing could provide the software that shows all of the boat positions in the race. They could compare the rower's distance to the runners to make it look as part of the footrace. They could also link up rowers from other continents to make it an international event. Also, things like heart rate and power output could be displayed to show the capabilites of the software.<br><br>Cheers,<br><br>Paul Flack

[old] Canoeist

Competitions

Post by [old] Canoeist » December 15th, 2004, 9:21 am

<!--QuoteBegin-LeonCrewDewd+Dec 15 2004, 12:38 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (LeonCrewDewd @ Dec 15 2004, 12:38 AM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> MY dad has run the Boston running marathong something like 6 or 7 times... he says he loves it. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> Come up to Boston to watch your dad run. It is cooler up here in Boston - perfect for rowing a marathon on the sideline.<br><br>Cheers,<br><br>Paul Flack

[old] Jim Barry

Competitions

Post by [old] Jim Barry » December 15th, 2004, 11:32 am

Count me in. I've always thought an event like this could be held and toyed around with inviting the New England crowd up to Maine to row group marathons in my large flat paved driveway. <br><br>

[old] ranger

Competitions

Post by [old] ranger » December 15th, 2004, 12:15 pm

This a great idea, Paul. If I can pull it off, I would be _very_ interested in joining the festivities. It would be full of interest (and nostalgia) for me, given all of my years as a marathon runner, a few times at large venues (e.g., Chicago three times, Milwaukee five times, Detroit 3 times, etc.), but never at Boston (or New York), not to mention my general interest in long distance rowing. It might be fun to train hard for it, keep my weight down, and try to lay down the best lightweight marathon time I can muster. <br><br>Monday the 18th of April is the last day of classes here at Michigan for the Winter Term, but I might be able to finish up the term on Friday, cancel class on Monday, pack up my erg, and head out to Boston for the fun. <br><br>I get a big smile on my face just thinking about it.<br><br> <br><br>Erging a marathon at Mile #15 on the Boston marathon course. Priceless!<br><br>I could also bring my 1x and get in some rowing on the Charles.<br><br>ranger

[old] Samroot

Competitions

Post by [old] Samroot » December 15th, 2004, 5:42 pm

I'll be on the running side for the 10th straight year. I could think of no greater <br>sight and sound than a swinging.whirring bunch of fanatics at mile 15. I would take consolation in,and have sincere appreciation of the fact that whole lot of butts are screaming as much if not more than my quads,and head into the hills with renewed vigor.<br><br><br> C2 used to have a booth at the marathon expo. I don't know why they stopped,considering they advertise so frequently in Runnersworld. If I recall their sales team was somewhat underwhelming. A hardcore group of erging marathoners in action would be the machines best ambassadors.<br><br><br>Erging has been a significant part of my winter training the last two years. Now that I finally did a half,maybe I'll try a full.<br><br><br>Samroot

[old] Canoeist

Competitions

Post by [old] Canoeist » December 16th, 2004, 10:12 am

<!--QuoteBegin-ranger+Dec 15 2004, 04:15 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (ranger @ Dec 15 2004, 04:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Erging a marathon at Mile #15 on the Boston marathon course. Priceless!<br><br>I could also bring my 1x and get in some rowing on the Charles.<br><br>ranger <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> Mile #15 is where the running course crosses the Charles River. You could have your 1x docked under the bridge. When you are finished with your marathon row, hop in your 1X and row to downtown Boston where there will be a finish line party.<br><br>(After rowing a marathon, I prefer to take the "T" downtown to the finish.)<br><br>Cheers,<br><br>Paul Flack

[old] ranger

Competitions

Post by [old] ranger » December 16th, 2004, 10:48 am

<table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> </td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Mile #15 is where the running course crosses the Charles River. You could have your 1x docked under the bridge. When you are finished with your marathon row, hop in your 1X and row to downtown Boston where there will be a finish line party.<br><!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br><br>Now I'm _really_ smiling!<br><br> <br><br>ranger