Crash-b Coxwains

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Canoeist

Competitions

Post by [old] Canoeist » February 10th, 2005, 9:34 am

I just saw this on the Crash b site "CRASH-B volunteers act as coxswains and you may NOT use your personal, hand-picked coxswain (sorry). "<br /><br />Does this mean that the British team won't get the encouragement and direction of a five time gold medal winner? Last year, the no-private-coxwain rule wasn't printed and the British team had the worlds best coxwain. Personnally, I would rather see Sir Steve out there doing what he does best rather than hidden along the sidelines. (It is easier to find him to sign shirts ) The British team has to overcome travel and jet lag, so I wouldn't deny them the best cox in the world. But this year, the race organizers printed the rule right there where everyone can see it. Bummer! I enjoyed coxing my on-line training partner last year to a second place finish.<br /><br />Paul Flack

[old] Andrew Burrows

Competitions

Post by [old] Andrew Burrows » February 10th, 2005, 9:55 am

Sir Steve wont be captain of the GB team anyway this year unfortunately but they do have another great captain in Bernie Shroesbee (not sure spelling is correct) who is a trainer of many top sportsmen and has competed at international level in many sports himself. He should be a great captain.<br /><br />Someone on the UK site spotted this no cox rule but he said they say that every year and it doesnt happen - I dont know how true this is though as Ive never been to the Crash B's and wont be there this time either !

[old] Kudos

Competitions

Post by [old] Kudos » February 10th, 2005, 12:26 pm

I'm not going this year, but this has been a Crash-b rule since the beginning of time I believe. It just means you can't get in the volunteers way of taking the score or replace his/her postion. I always have plenty of coxswains for my races, its the only time when I have more coxswains then rowers on my side:D If your coxswain is real nice and the volunteer is passive you can get next to a rower as close as the volunteer is. If not, you're still only about 5 feet away from your coxswain/s. Don't worry about it, if you are doing it right you won't hear him/her afterr the first thousand anyway...

[old] rickm

Competitions

Post by [old] rickm » February 10th, 2005, 3:10 pm

I have volunteered Cox in the past (at 6' 5" its as close as I will ever come to being a cox) and agree with previous statements. Check with the volunteer. Don't stand in such a way that might intefere with the volunteers vision of the rower. Coordinate with others who are interested in the rower. If you get more than a few standing there you will be asked to move out. At the end get out of the way so the volunteers can get the timesheets in. 72 hours - 10 minutes to race time.

[old] Canoeist

Competitions

Post by [old] Canoeist » February 12th, 2005, 11:22 am

See you at the race Rick. Heat 23, Erg 29 at 13:45 EST<br /><br />Paul Flack